Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

57 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Again, there's damage to the frame....so? Yes, CT's past has shown that they don't seem to be likely to fix it, but how many of those cars were less than a quarter of the way through their lifespan? And how is it a liability issue?

Prestressing is done with railway equipment all the time. Center sills are always preloaded, so that once additional weight is loaded on it - a prime mover and main alternator in the case of a locomotive, or a load in the case of a freight car - the center sill will straighten out. Bridges are another example of this.

Dan

There's been an instance in the past that a new bus was damaged during delivery, transit refused the bus. They wouldn't even let the manufacture repair it because it had structure damage. 

These occurrences are rare so there's never been a time that a fairly new lrv was involved in an accident. Car 2311 must have over 600,000km's on it, I was driving a newer series 8 yesterday and it had 630,000km's on it.. relatively speaking it just got broken in. It's unfortunate to see such a new vehicle get decommissioned. I don't think it really makes a difference how old the vehicle is....safety comes first.

Let me give you an example of how management thinks of it all. Let's say they fixed 2311 and they repaired the structure and buy a fluke of nature years down the road the car has a structural failure or even a serious incident and lets also say people got injuried and possibly even died because of it. I can guarantee you that all the vehicles history will be pulled and will be proven that the structure was compromised in the past and showed repaired. Lawyers will be all over that kind of thing.. next thing you know the City would be forced paying out millions and millions of dollars to the people affected. That's how the City works lawyers won't let that happen the Union wont let that happen and I wouldn't drive it. The City is always looking for the best interests for the public 

I know all about freight trains and what they do to them after derailments and how there repaired, I don't want to insult you and this is not what I'm trying to do but I know you know that a LRV is no where near constructed like a freight train. A LRV car is so delicate it doesn't take much for them to be heavily damaged. 

They will just order a couple of extra s200s in the future to make up for the one they lost which kind of sucks.....that will take years.... they did that with the 8s when they lost 2027 and 2019 (got 2090 out of them though) the order was up'd...

I wish I could upload and post the pictures that I have of that car 2311....absolutely spectacular...I can't believe what happened to that thing..

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Nick B said:

Could it be possible that the warping was caused by the initial crash? I'm no expert on metallurgy but I can't see how cutting metal would warp it. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't #2019 and #2027 also cut in half to make #2090? 

Cutting wouldn't warp although theoretically if it was heated up sufficiently trying to cut it, it could deform although I'd say it would be unlikely or at least not significant.  If the metal were bent and then bent back without tempering then it would be more brittle, that would be the reason not to repair a bent frame.

9 hours ago, D40LF said:

Oh it can warp when cut. If the stress on the metal is keeping it straight then once that stress is removed, by cutting a piece out, then it will warp.

When I went on a tour of GMDD in London years ago they were showing how metals are deliberately warped so that when the stress of weight is placed on it the metal will straighten.

I can think of structures where that would be useful but I'm not sure that would be a design approach for an LRV frame.  Maybe a crown that flexes under load but I'm not sure I'd put it under stress or strain that would warp the structure for a frame but maybe we're using different meanings for "warped".  I see smallspy also explained the same idea around loading.  If the load is removed, the material may return to it's original shape but not warp.  Now, if it was designed for say and evenly distributed load and instead most of the load was places in say one corner or vice versa then certainly I could see warping occurring.

5 hours ago, LRT said:

There's been an instance in the past that a new bus was damaged during delivery, transit refused the bus. They wouldn't even let the manufacture repair it because it had structure damage.

That may not be unreasonable, especially with the much more complex frame structure of a low floor bus.  Just bending it back would make the frame more brittle while patching it could create new weak points.  Sometimes a seemingly benign change from the original plan can have catastrophic consequences.  The Hyatt Regency walkway collapse is a great example where the engineered design wasn't followed and a catastrophic failure occurred.

• Like 1

They only cut two frame rails, wiring and cables that are attached to the articulation joint to seperate the two ends...Looks like they used some kind of power saw...

Guys...when I said warped I ment the structure of the 2 ends are distorted from the twisting and stresses of impact into the ballest... 

Screenshot_2016-09-22-14-23-30.png

• Like 1

CTrain shuttles this weekend between Somerset and Fish Creek.

In effect: September 24, 2016 - September 25, 2016

Over the weekend of September 24-25, shuttle buses will replace CTrain service between Somerset and Fish Creek stations. View map.

Red Line trains will run between Tuscany and Fish Creek stations. Shuttle buses will connect you between Fish Creek, Shawnessy and Somerset stations.

Where to catch the shuttle bus:

Why is this disruption necessary?

• At Shawnessy Station we are doing maintenance work on the track bed to ensure tracks are level and in line with the platforms.
  • At Fish Creek Station we are doing tile work.
  • At Somerset Station we are making modifications to the pedestrian crossing signal indicator.

Schedules:

Red Line
Red Line Shuttle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Major delays on the Red Line this PM due to a switch fault near 39th Avenue station. Shuttle buses in place between City Hall and Chinook as of 1608.

Red Line service between City Hall and Chinook resuming as of 1613. Buses still available.

(So much for my plans to catch and ride the S200 before work...)

Edited by Nick B

5 hours ago, Nick B said:

Major delays on the Red Line this PM due to a switch fault

Is that how they worded it?

Communication dropped between the control centre and victoria park and burnsland interlockings. There was something preventing any movements in field automatic in either direction between those stations. Once communication was restored, it was discovered that for what ever reason, track out of service was activated on both tracks.....

Appears to be unrelated to the switch problems at stampede all day today.

• Like 1

The wording I saw was "switch error". It seemed the message on the signs was always one step behind the PAs. They were still showing a message about a 20 minute delay when the announcement about shuttles was made, and they were (I believe) showing information about where shuttles were running after PAs about train service resuming were made.

The first (or one of) red line train was full leaving 1st Street. Good times. :D

• Like 1

Key 60 made a short-turn at 7th St. station (well, just past it I guess) at around 9:45PM tonight, probably to pick up the masses leaving the Flames game heading southbound. Annoying, since there were already passengers on board (like yours truly) when the driver had us leave and take the next train, which was indeed packed (though not completely) with hockey goers whereas the one we were on was not.

1 hour ago, TimmyC62 said:

Key 60 made a short-turn at 7th St. station (well, just past it I guess) at around 9:45PM tonight, probably to pick up the masses leaving the Flames game heading southbound. Annoying, since there were already passengers on board (like yours truly) when the driver had us leave and take the next train, which was indeed packed (though not completely) with hockey goers whereas the one we were on was not.

Key 60 was a floater train that came online from somerset tail track. There was a train that was short turned at fish creek that followed it inbound. Key 60 was simply the missing service from somerset and shawnessy that need to be filled. The regular key did the rest of the work from 7 street.

11 street tail track was occupied most of the night with an earlier breakdownso they had to be creative how to stage their southbound floater.

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

The wording I saw was "switch error".

Ugh! Was the case until service stopped. Definately more then that afterwords.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

I heard on 660 news that there was no power at OBMF this morning and limited Blue Line service....  

Only the new tracks at obmf were affected. Ultimately, 3 keys missed their first trip. They were n ot consecutive keys....infact...1 hour from the first to last offline of the affected trains.... and delays with a little adjustment were minimal. One of which was an interlined red line train which they were able to pull a standby from anderson and cover.

3 hours ago, Jon Calon said:

Anyone in the know what the heck happened last night (nov 4) around Rundle?  Trains were stopped outbound for upwards of 15 minutes at each block from Bridgeland out... I bailed at Marlborough but was hearing more than a few frustrations from everyone...

Depends on your definition of 'last night'. Late in the evening was a car on the tracks, late afternoon/early evening was a mechanical problem. 

5 hours ago, Jon Calon said:

Anyone in the know what the heck happened last night (nov 4) around Rundle?  Trains were stopped outbound for upwards of 15 minutes at each block from Bridgeland out... I bailed at Marlborough but was hearing more than a few frustrations from everyone...

Sounds like you are talking about yesterday afternoons incident, Jon, since the late night incident had very little inpact on service. Rotaty converter on an SD blew and the train would not cooperate in emergency drive. It eventually died on the outbound track within rundle cross over....also had episodes at 28 street level crossing, 36 street tunnel and marlborough switches 3 and 4....the switches eventually used to move traffic outbound on the inbound track... The trouble car eventually had its brakes pumped off and dragged to OBMF. Shuttles inplemented to get passengers from inbound from the NE. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Train vs. pedestrian at Centre Street station this afternoon. 7th Avenue closed at Centre Street. Trains from the South and NE are short turning at City Hall. Shuttle buses are in place between City Hall and 7th Street.

Relaying information from a friend.