Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

• 1 month later...

Shuttles were in place from Franklin to Rundle for a bit at the time of writing this, Car drove into the tracks between Rundle and Marlborough. Was caught off guard on a nearby Max Orange that I got on (8037) finding out the bus was full the brim.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big Red Line disruption scheduled for next month:

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/victoria-parkstampede-station-rebuild-project-prepares-to-switch-to-new-station-platform/

The shutdown is scheduled to take place Friday, Nov. 24 (after rush hour) through Monday, Dec. 4 (before start of CTrain service). As a result, Calgarians can expect:

·       Closure of the Red Line between Chinook and City Hall/Bow Valley College stations, with replacement shuttle service for Transit customers.

·       Lane closures on northbound Macleod Trail between 25 Ave and 12 Ave S.E.

·       Detoured pedestrian access onto Stampede Park from Macleod Trail.

·       24-hour construction activity at the station so the work can be completed as quickly as possible.

[...]

Some of the alternatives will include:

·       Calgary Transit's largest ever replacement shuttle service operation,

·       Express shuttle service between key south CTrain stations and downtown,

·       Downtown parking options, and

·       Alternative combinations of driving and transit.

Full details about replacement shuttle routes, traffic and pedestrian detours, and other considerations will be available in the coming weeks. 

[...]

"... we are offering a 25% discount on all monthly passes for December."

Over the course of the nine-day shutdown, crews will work 24-hours a day to tie the new tracks to the rest of the line, string overhead power lines to connect the new station to the network, install new track signals at pedestrian crossings, build pedestrian access to the new station, and start demolition of the temporary platforms.

When transit service to Victoria Park/Stampede Station resumes the morning of Dec. 4, transit customers will board and exit the CTrain from the new station. Additional station construction, hardscaping, landscaping and integration to the 17 Ave S.E. Extension will be completed through early 2024, and the project will be substantially completed in alignment with the BMO Centre expansion for Stampede 2024.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Big Red Line disruption scheduled for next month:

Just thinking about it some more and I think it's going to very interesting, logistically speaking. To maintain peak service on Red Line north and Blue Line, I assume they're going to have to move a bunch of equipment to the north side of the closure?

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

As much as this shutdown is required it makes me curious if CT is going to be able to keep up with all the added service and these shuttles with the current fleet. It sure will be an interesting operation to say the least.

• Like 1

Calgary Transit with their own announcement here:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/cutover.html

It says to expect more details by November 13.

Also, I find it extremely weird that one of the suggestions for alternative transport listed there for the disruption is to "consider driving and parking downtown." It's the last thing you want to hear from a transit agency.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Calgary Transit with their own announcement here:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/cutover.html

It says to expect more details by November 13.

Also, I find it extremely weird that one of the suggestions for alternative transport listed there for the disruption is to "consider driving and parking downtown." It's the last thing you want to hear from a transit agency.

At least they’re being honest basically telling everyone there’s gonna be some serious and significant delays. 

There can also be a chance that they can have everything done sooner…. Wait who am I kidding here?!?! 😆😂😆

I hope the weather cooperates. 

• Like 2

With lane closures and active construction in the area, I can only imagine that Macleod Tr is going to be pretty backed up, especially with more people than usual driving and parking downtown. 😂

The replacement shuttles are gonna be stuck right in the middle of it. I wonder if we'd see some of the express shuttles taking alternate routes like Elbow Dr or 4th St as alternatives to Macleod Tr.

Totally wishful thinking but wouldn't it be awesome if we could turn the curbside lanes of Macleod Tr into bus only lanes to improve shuttle operations.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Totally wishful thinking but wouldn't it be awesome if we could turn the curbside lanes of Macleod Tr into bus only lanes to improve shuttle operations.

This was done during the flood - it’s a nice idea, but without enforcement, it’s pretty useless. 

Macleod Trail is normally 4 lanes past 17th Ave - it’s currently down to 3 lanes because they built the temporary outbound track on the east lane. With further closures of lanes, northbound Macleod could be down to two lanes (or one) at some points. 

15 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

This was done during the flood - it’s a nice idea, but without enforcement, it’s pretty useless. 

Macleod Trail is normally 4 lanes past 17th Ave - it’s currently down to 3 lanes because they built the temporary outbound track on the east lane. With further closures of lanes, northbound Macleod could be down to two lanes (or one) at some points. 

This area is already extremely congested in the peak hours, especially the AM. It's going to be messy for sure with the added lane closures. I feel bad for regular users of both the C-Train and car drivers in this corridor.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend’s CTrain disruption on the Red Line is from Lions Park to 7/8 Street stations. However, on the westbound platforms, it’s being announced that trains are terminating at “11th Street”. 
• I hope the use of that term isn’t causing too much confusion, seeing how most riders would know that place as Downtown West/Kerby. 
• I also assume that’s where trains are turning around. (I haven’t seen this in person yet today.)

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

This weekend’s CTrain disruption on the Red Line is from Lions Park to 7/8 Street stations. However, on the westbound platforms, it’s being announced that trains are terminating at “11th Street”. 
• I hope the use of that term isn’t causing too much confusion, seeing how most riders would know that place as Downtown West/Kerby. 
• I also assume that’s where trains are turning around. (I haven’t seen this in person yet today.)

Downtown West should be called 11th street in my opinion

• Like 3

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

Can confirm: westbound Red Line trains are switching over to the eastbound track at the crossing east of Downtown West/Kerby station before terminating there.

From Calgary Transit's website, details of their shuttle service for the extended Red Line closure Nov. 24-Dec. 4 to accommodate work on the new Victoria Park station. Repeating here for posterity.

Route 601: Red Line replacement shuttle: replaces service between Chinook and City Hall/Bow Valley College stations. Route 601 will travel along Macleod Trail.

• Service will be every five minutes throughout the day on weekdays and weekends
  • Route 601 will take approximately 25 minutes from Chinook Station to City Hall, depending on traffic

Route 610 – Anderson Express (weekdays only): Express service between Anderson and downtown stations, with no stops in between. Route 610 will travel north on Macleod Trail, then take Glenmore Trail to Crowchild Trail and enter downtown from the west side. It will drop off and pick up customers on 9th Avenue at Calgary Transit’s standard shuttle replacement stops.

• Service will be every five minutes from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on weekdays
  • Route 610 will take approximately 38 minutes to get from Anderson Station to the 5th Street SW stop on 9 Avenue.

Route 611 – Heritage Express (weekdays only): Express service between Heritage Station and downtown stations, with no stops in between. Route 611 will travel west on Heritage Drive to northbound 14th Street, then take Glenmore Trail to Crowchild Trail and enter downtown from the west side. It will drop off and pick up customers on 9th Avenue at Calgary Transit’s standard shuttle replacement stops.

• Service will be every five minutes from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on weekdays
  • Route 611 will take approximately 30 minutes to get from Heritage Station to the 5th Street SW stop on 9 Avenue.

There are no reserved bus lanes on Macleod Trail, from what I can see. I imagine that would be tough, with all the construction.

In addition to the shuttles, Transit is also recommending people park for free at Heritage Park and take MAX Yellow direct into downtown, or MAX Teal to Westbrook and then use the Blue Line to get downtown.

Another recommendation is driving to other Blue Line stations and parking there.

All information gleaned from this page: https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/cutover.html

• Like 2

Schedules for the disruption period are now visible on Transit's website. Notably:

• Northwest Red Line interlines with Northeast Blue Line on weekdays! Trains run Tuscany to Saddletowne after the p.m. rush on Nov. 24 and all day Nov. 27 to Dec. 1. On weekends, trains appear to terminate at City Hall.
    NW Red Line weekday headways: 7 minutes peak, 10 midday, 15 late night
    NW Red Line weekend headways: approx. 15 minutes all day
    (Service on Northeast Blue Line effectively doubles for most of the day.)
  • Red Line in the south terminates at Chinook.
    Weekday headways: 7 minutes peak, 10 midday and late night
    Weekend headways: 15 minutes all day
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

3 shuttles at 5 minute frequencies each on weekdays. That's gonna be a whole lot of extra buses required!

No keys visible on Transit 55 yet but from the published schedules, assuming there are breaks after one round-trip, we can estimate:

• Route 601 (rounding up to 60-minute round-trip) will require ~24 buses during peak and hockey nights (there are two buses shown departing together, every 5 minutes); ~12 buses off-peak; ~6 buses late night
  • Route 610 Anderson Express (rounding up to 90-minute round-trip) will require ~18 buses
  • Route 611 Heritage Express (rounding up to 75-minute round trip) will require ~15 buses

So yeah, that's a whole lot of extra buses!

This news article says there will be reductions on regular bus routes to support the CTrain shuttles. I guess they're just not being shown on the schedules yet. Perhaps they will appear daily as cancellations, like during the winter 2022 reductions due to COVID?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-emptying-its-garages-to-accommodate-upcoming-nine-day-red-line-closure

The city noted buses from other routes around the city will be pulled to help with the temporary routes, resulting in “some impacts” to bus routes in other areas.

6 hours ago, downbeat said:

This news article says there will be reductions on regular bus routes to support the CTrain shuttles. I guess they're just not being shown on the schedules yet. Perhaps they will appear daily as cancellations, like during the winter 2022 reductions due to COVID?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-emptying-its-garages-to-accommodate-upcoming-nine-day-red-line-closure

I assume probaly buses from school runs will go join in on the shuttles