Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Correct me if I am wrong, but Polo is the only mall terminal where the buses (such as the 11) leave the terminal and serve other parts of the mall. Why can't they run the 11 around the terminal and exit to Portage rather than go by Sears and exit at Ness. It would be safer for pedestrians and motorists alike. No other mall has a terminal and other stops in their parking lot. The KP terminal has many terminating buses as well as the 47, which doesn't end at KP. The 47 runs around the terminal (from downtown) and exits at the terminal entrance to serve Transcona. In my mind, the 11 should run the same way.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎19 at 2:05 AM, LilZebra said:

Looking at the map of the east of the Red River, there is no Des Meurons transit service. This past Summer me and Sis on our way back from "beach country" drove along Archibald... the north part is more industrial, but as you drive southward there is more residential, quite new looking townhouse development.

So in keeping with Mr. Walker's theme of grided transit lines, I propose a new "Des Meurons" bus.

The '5's are already taken, unless we actually use '5 Des Meurons' for the route number itself.

Another option would be to use '150 Des Meurons' because '50 Archibald' bus service is already nearby. Lets confuse passengers even more LOL.

I agree with you there needs to be buses on des meurons

I e-mailed Coun. Gillingham's (St. James) office. His Exec. Asst. replied that Coun. Gillingham had inquired about the Polo Park Transit Terminal project about 10 days ago (Oct. 16th?).

Work should be completed in "7 to 10 days (from now") and that the crew is/was busy in another area doing work and there was a delay in that other construction site (?), so I guess everything got pushed back.

They were not sure where the should have been completed by Sept. 1st rumour came from.

So, by mid-November '17, all remaining "street furniture" should be reinstalled.

3 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Polo is the only mall terminal where the buses (such as the 11) leave the terminal and serve other parts of the mall. Why can't they run the 11 around the terminal and exit to Portage rather than go by Sears and exit at Ness. It would be safer for pedestrians and motorists alike. No other mall has a terminal and other stops in their parking lot. The KP terminal has many terminating buses as well as the 47, which doesn't end at KP. The 47 runs around the terminal (from downtown) and exits at the terminal entrance to serve Transcona. In my mind, the 11 should run the same way.

I feel the same way about 16 Osborne Island Lakes buses. During the weekday these buses travel along the backside of Southdale Centre. But "after hours" when that route terminates at SC, those buses enter the mall parking lot.

Why can't the Island Lakes buses do the same? It's such a long walk to/from Canadian Tire, back to Lakewood just to catch a 16 Selkirk back to St. Vital.

That was the basis of a "transit proposal" last year.

I think the problem with terminating buses at Polo Park Terminal is that there is no connection (in or out) with eastbound Portage Avenue. Buses terminating at Polo Park from the west have to loop around Empress and Westway. Buses terminating at Polo Park Terminal from the east loop through the mall parking lot on the west side of the mall.

Could there be a transit-activated light at Portage/Tylehurst that could facilitate left turns from Portage Avenue eastbound into the terminal, and from the Terminal onto eastbound Portage Avenue?

Isn't there a similar design deficiency with the Kildonan Place Terminal and eastbound Regent Avenue?

15 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I think the problem with terminating buses at Polo Park Terminal is that there is no connection (in or out) with eastbound Portage Avenue. Buses terminating at Polo Park from the west have to loop around Empress and Westway. Buses terminating at Polo Park Terminal from the east loop through the mall parking lot on the west side of the mall.

Could there be a transit-activated light at Portage/Tylehurst that could facilitate left turns from Portage Avenue eastbound into the terminal, and from the Terminal onto eastbound Portage Avenue?

Isn't there a similar design deficiency with the Kildonan Place Terminal and eastbound Regent Avenue?

There is a priority light for exiting KPSC, there is a sign and a lens for one entering but in all the time I had driving the 47 I never saw it activate. I usually ended up waiting for light at Rougeau to change or for a bus exiting KPSC to trigger the light.

6 hours ago, BusRider said:

There is a priority light for exiting KPSC, there is a sign and a lens for one entering but in all the time I had driving the 47 I never saw it activate. I usually ended up waiting for light at Rougeau to change or for a bus exiting KPSC to trigger the light.

BusRider is correct. Having ridden several routes out of the KPSC terminal, the traffic flow for buses is pretty good from a rider point-of-view. Polo on the other hand...

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎12 at 7:08 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.b43b453654a9e5c194453f0bb1f8c50c.jpg

Does anyone know what's going on with 409 it's sitting in a lot at Fennell and seel

when I went there I saw it missing a license plate and the doors were open, I don't think its been there for that long looking at the ad on the back cause that ad is fairly recent

On 26/10/2017 at 1:38 PM, LilZebra said:

Work should be completed in "7 to 10 days (from now") and that the crew is/was busy in another area doing work and there was a delay in that other construction site (?), so I guess everything got pushed back. [...]

So, by mid-November '17, all remaining "street furniture" should be reinstalled.

Still no progress reinstalling shelters and signage at Polo Park Terminal today (Tuesday 31 October 2017).

I sincerely hope Polo Park Terminal isn't waiting for work to be completed at University of Manitoba Terminal. I was at U of M on Saturday 28 October and progress there is evident but sloooow. It appears they've poured pads for five shelter structures at UofM. Sidewalks around the shelter pads were not yet under construction as of Saturday.

Since Taylor is closed at Waverly, route 95 is now being detour from Taylor, south to Waverly, pass the tracks,  and onto Hurst Way to temporary loop, and back on Waverly, then onto the new Waverly detour, pass the tracks (again), and the back onto Taylor. Depending on the trains, you can be stuck waiting for trains while going south and again going north.

I'm not sure about the turn restrictions, it would have made sense having the detour avoid the Waverly underpass.

I was at Polo Park Terminal today (Tuesday 07 November 2017) and work to reinstall the shelters and signage had begun. Progress was limited so I'd guess they started Monday. The crew appeared pretty modest. I counted only two workers on the site when I passed by at 14:29.

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

I was at Polo Park Terminal today (Tuesday 07 November 2017) and work to reinstall the shelters and signage had begun. Progress was limited so I'd guess they started Monday. The crew appeared pretty modest. I counted only two workers on the site when I passed by at 14:29.

Oh good let’s hope they finish soon any word on u of m terminal progress 

12 minutes ago, matt548 said:

Haha, yeah! I thought I was the only one

in the summer I saw #800 on the 16 almost every day!

Yeah. I wonder why

1 hour ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

It’s how there dispatching it now most amount of wheelchairs on the 16 that’s why it’s found 90 percent of the time on the 16 or 18 

Yeah true

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎08 at 2:45 PM, DavidW said:

University of Manitoba article on the new campus transit terminal (with diagrams).

Link

The terminal is announced to open 17 December 2017.

20171108-TransitChangeBoards1.jpg

20171108-TransitChangeBoards2.jpg

Correct if I'm wrong but doesn't the 162/170 use Chancellor Matheson? That doesn't show up on the map.

18 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Correct if I'm wrong but doesn't the 162/170 use Chancellor Matheson? That doesn't show up on the map.

The 137/162/170 enters and leaves campus via Kings Drive. The only routes that use Chancellor Matheson/Research Rd/Innovation Dr/Dafoe Rd are the 51 and 78.

I'm really happy that the map shows the Kings Drive buses entering westbound on Freedman then northbound on University to enter the UofM terminal zone along Dafoe Road.  If I recall correctly earlier drawings showed Kings Drive buses sneaking onto campus via Freedman eastbound and Maclean northbound, skipping the whole west half of campus.  Much better that east and west ends of campus are served both inbound and outbound.