STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

I agree that combining routes 11 and 12 with routes 18 and 10, respectively, would help wreck the reliability of the two routes. After all, wasn't route 12 created to improve the reliability of route 2?

On another note, I'd be saddened to see route 10 disappear, as it began as the Ann St. streetcar in 1892.  It later became the Bronson-Elgin-Ottawa East streetcar, the Bronson trolleybus, and route 4 before evolving into its current configuration.  Just out of historic interest, I'd much rather see route 12 become part of route 10 than the other way around.  I'd also like to see route 18 preserved in some way, as it dates back to the 51 Britannia in 1959, but not at the expense of route 11, which began as the Cedar St. streetcar in 1895.

Speaking about route 51, I'd like to see route 51 operate between Lincoln Fields and Britannia while route 52 runs east to Tunney's Pasture, as these would reflect the old routes 51 Britannia and 52 Dovercourt, which began operating in June 1959 and are still running today as routes 18 and 16, respectively.  Again, this is purely out of historic interest.

In my area I hate that they removed the 46 from Elmvale to Billings Bridge and replaced it with the new Route 41. Although I now have a direct link from my area to ST Laurent Station, I now would need to transfer at Elmvale to complete my trip as well now I would need to transfer at Elmvale to see my mother at the Perely Long Term Care. Also at Hurdman I had a choice I could either take the 44 or the 46 with out transferring, now I don't have that choice anymore.

Also those Confederation Neighborhoud-Ruselto Elmvale now would need to transfer at Elmvale if they wanted to get to Btllings as before they would take the 46. Another thing is those in Jefferson, Featherstone, Ryder will now need to walk to either Heron or Walkly to catch the 41 as routte 141 will be dropped.

If I read it correctly the 41 weill be elimenated from Baycrest? 

I can't comment in other areas but in my area IT TOTALLY SUCKS!!! 😡 👎 😰 👿 🐂 🦨

I'm not sure when these changes if some or all will take effect but I suspect either Spring2024 or Summer 2024 schedule changes.

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

I agree that combining routes 11 and 12 with routes 18 and 10, respectively, would help wreck the reliability of the two routes. After all, wasn't route 12 created to improve the reliability of route 2?

Route 12 was indeed created to terminate at Rideau Centre covering two different sections. Route 2 Bayshore/Rideau Centre via Richmond Road and 12 Blair via Montreal Rd to better improve reliability. Especially wanting to reduce the ripple effects of long routes which can lead to gaps further along the line.

Route 88 was another long route that had reliability problems because it was overstretched to Terry Fox from Hurdman via Baseline. Which is being shortened to feed into Bayshore at a future date while Route 68 provides additional coverage between Queensway Carleton Hospital and Baseline/Algonquin College while terminating at Terry Fox.

8 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I'll throw in my measly 2 cents while I'm here 

Routes 11 and 12 are a huge mistake

11: Having it deviate to serve Bayview, and extend to st laurent to replace the 18 will take an already fragile route (delays, customers, traffic) and destroy the reliability of it. 

12: the service it is now can actually work very well if they remove it off jasmine (which appears to be the case with new 24), and allow ample recovery at Blair. Having it extend to Hardman via Carleton is again just asking to throw any chance of stability out the window. Think of Toronto, imagine the 60 Steeles merging with the 53? While also serving finch, you'd never have a reliable schedule 

I get that they want to reduce transfers, but at the same time there is zero chance of making it reliable in the same process unless there are also gap vehicles added at certain points to cover when needed. Trying to get additional gap vehicles to run as directed or RAD for short, where are they going to get additional resources for that?

14 hours ago, bsnider001 said:

I would like to see the 11 simply run Bayshore to some terminus downtown (Lyon, Parliament or Mackenzie King), or god forbit just let the 11 finally die west of Lincoln Fields... they're already cutting the 82 off Richmond, DuMaurier, and Ramsay, so may as well bury the hatchet... right?

Would this not be a southwest transitway segment? Southeast to me is the Hurdman to South Keys segment.

the tried doing that in 2018 and the whole community was complaining even if lincoln fields to bayshore is a milk run though parking lots and a unnecessary duplication of service

8 hours ago, 95X Special said:

the tried doing that in 2018 and the whole community was complaining even if lincoln fields to bayshore is a milk run though parking lots and a unnecessary duplication of service

As someone living in the Bayshore area, i heard all about that... most of the time i take the 85 to/from the 11 at Lincoln Fields, though... and empty DD buses on the 11 from Bayshore to basically Richmond/Golden are surely not good for OC and the bottom line...

On 11/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, Dexter249 said:

The Median section on Chapman Mills, it seems like the 119 will keep that, but we'll still have to wait and see.

Oh, okay. I think of that at southwest.

It'll be used by the 110 (Kanata North--Limebank via Citigate, Strandherd, Chapman Mills) and 119 (Barrhaven Centre--Limebank via Borbridge).

On 11/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, TransitGeek said:

The continuous cutting of route 84 is abysmal. At this point why don't they just remove the route entirely? No one uses it anyway...

That would have been a great candidate for on-demand!

On 11/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

11: Having it deviate to serve Bayview, and extend to st laurent to replace the 18 will take an already fragile route (delays, customers, traffic) and destroy the reliability of it. 

12: the service it is now can actually work very well if they remove it off jasmine (which appears to be the case with new 24), and allow ample recovery at Blair. Having it extend to Hardman via Carleton is again just asking to throw any chance of stability out the window. Think of Toronto, imagine the 60 Steeles merging with the 53? While also serving finch, you'd never have a reliable schedule 

Internally, interlining will also be limited to local routes. Major routes will not be interlined, at least according to planning staff. I think that will help somewhat.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:02 AM, MCIBUS said:

I'm not sure when these changes if some or all will take effect but I suspect either Spring2024 or Summer 2024 schedule changes.

According to Stittsville councillor Glen Gower, "The service changes would start in April 2024 after an extensive public awareness campaign."

NOTEBOOK: OC Transpo's route review results in service improvements for Stittsville - Glen Gower | Councillor / Conseiller | Stittsville

A dropbox link was posted on Facebook by "Kitchissippi Ward", which includes what may be the actual sideshow and drafts for the routes and stuff. Which include maps

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/y9nzamvrl179uj8u6ukd6/h?rlkey=uwug672275s9rdzp8be3c5d63&fbclid=IwAR0OtaAtCHbHjtAIG-y34etQgTx8OJmj7TQ0AIOIXYdifnY1dqxS_Hc-x9A&dl=0

I can't get the original facebook post link to work but it's only a day old so if you look it should be there. Note that I do not know if these are legit, just know that the slides at least *look* real

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

A dropbox link was posted on Facebook by "Kitchissippi Ward", which includes what may be the actual sideshow and drafts for the routes and stuff. Which include maps

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/y9nzamvrl179uj8u6ukd6/h?rlkey=uwug672275s9rdzp8be3c5d63&fbclid=IwAR0OtaAtCHbHjtAIG-y34etQgTx8OJmj7TQ0AIOIXYdifnY1dqxS_Hc-x9A&dl=0

I can't get the original facebook post link to work but it's only a day old so if you look it should be there. Note that I do not know if these are legit, just know that the slides at least *look* real

They did come from the city councillor plus they do include the draft routing too. 

I am not able to attach the files unfortunately due to size limitations. 

3 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

According to Stittsville councillor Glen Gower, "The service changes would start in April 2024 after an extensive public awareness campaign."

NOTEBOOK: OC Transpo's route review results in service improvements for Stittsville - Glen Gower | Councillor / Conseiller | Stittsville

It does give time to prepare and market the new changes. Especially trying to revamp the transit network to reflect changing travel patterns to today instead of focusing on a network that is oriented for downtown travel. The route changes may sound good on paper, but the real test would be once implemented how it works out. Trying not to break the system or adjusting to new routing.

I can't imagine for those that are used to the old routing not realizing the terminus is changed and having to rejig their planning to account for that change. 

It's a little disappointing to see the city make routes even longer and loop into small neighborhoods that could walk 5 min and get a bus on a more linear path. 

The 24 and 12 serving jasmine is a waste of resources and adds 2-3 min each way at times. I was under the impression the goal was to improve reliability and not to squander and waste time in areas where they'll pick up 2 people.

On 11/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

It's a little disappointing to see the city make routes even longer and loop into small neighborhoods that could walk 5 min and get a bus on a more linear path. 

The 24 and 12 serving jasmine is a waste of resources and adds 2-3 min each way at times. I was under the impression the goal was to improve reliability and not to squander and waste time in areas where they'll pick up 2 people.

To be fair, I think even (Transplan 2000?) had fierce opposition to the proposal on the removal of the 2 on Jasmine. Even if 2 people ride it there, it seems the community will coordinate some kind of action to be vocal in opposition to ANY removal of service, but adding the 24 there as well is dumb, IMO

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

To be fair, I think even (Transplan 2000?) had fierce opposition to proposal on the removal of the 2 on Jasmine. Even if 2 people ride it there, it seems the community will coordinate some kind of action to be vocal in opposition to ANY removal of service, but adding the 24 there as well is dumb, IMO

I should expand, that portion is busy absolutely, but it's a 1 route at most corridor. I'm seeing a lot of double backing in the 40s. Kanata as well to a degree and even small things like the 80 entering and loopong Nepean woods. Most cities would have that stay on woodeoffe to avoid a 2 min loop. People can walk 2 min if it means more reliable service 

I hope I'm wrong, but with all these new additional locals, I'm not confident it'll attract ridership 

If any thing repeats itself OC will do what they want despite what customers want, and they change routes to what they want. So expect these changes to occur. I suspect ridership to drop yet again as fares go up service gets worse(more delays, canceled trips)despite OC saying the opposite, I see still the same or more canceled trips.

Speaking of route 24, I don't think any Blackburn Hamlet resident who has a car or can hire an Uber would be willing to take the scenic route through Beacon Hill North to reach the Gloucester Centre.  Yes, residents near Innes Road can take route 25 but what about those closer to Louis Riel HS?  Also, I realise that riders can access Montreal Station for a transfer, but Line 1 won't service that station until at least 2025.  IMHO, OC should keep route 28 as a more direct link to Blair Station until the LRT is extended to Orleans, or offer seven-day dial-a-ride service in addition to the route 24 extension.

image.thumb.png.e7c385308c047c02a66d9ef81cd6e66f.png

6 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Speaking of route 24, I don't think any Blackburn Hamlet resident who has a car or can hire an Uber would be willing to take the scenic route through Beacon Hill North to reach the Gloucester Centre.  Yes, residents near Innes Road can take route 25 but what about those closer to Louis Riel HS?  Also, I realise that riders can access Montreal Station for a transfer, but Line 1 won't service that station until at least 2025.  IMHO, OC should keep route 28 as a more direct link to Blair Station until the LRT is extended to Orleans, or offer seven-day dial-a-ride service in addition to the route 24 extension.

I think the idea of combining Route 28 and 24 as a single route is to have the bus feed into the future Montreal LRT station, once it's up and running. 

9 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

2 hours ago, JCL said:

I think the idea of combining Route 28 and 24 as a single route is to have the bus feed into the future Montreal LRT station, once it's up and running. 

Doing this would jeopardise the on-demand pilot. No way of isolating the Blackburn portion of the route.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

24: to run the service to chapel hill will be a massive boost in service on weekends since the 34 stops around 18:00

25: as @Waiting for 30 Minutesstated, the 17 would be much better suited to serve the area and terminate at Blair giving a uni directional LRT connection. Let the 25 do what it does on Innes 

111: this makes sense. 111 doesn't generate a ton of student ridership along viewmount but it does on Meadowlands, keeping it linear towards line 2 and then to Hurdman will alleviate pressure off the 88

112: with this route serving viewmount and not Carleton it'll stop residents along viewmount from seeing packed buses continuously passing them at billings and along heron. Many residents can only get on a 111 when it originates at billings. 

96(116?): bringing it back to baseline is the right choice, however to save run time I believe it would benefit turning left on viewmount and head that way. The old 116 and current 187 can easily lose 10-15 min on merivale traffic 

There's a ton more changes that confuse me such as the 87 and minor tweaks here and there but overall it seems like the right direction 

Actually the proposal for route 116 (currently known as 96) is to have it run straight along West Club to Woodroffe, then buses would go up Woodroffe to Algonquin.

8 hours ago, Gregory said:

Actually the proposal for route 116 (currently known as 96) is to have it run straight along West Club to Woodroffe, then buses would go up Woodroffe to Algonquin.

As a side note, the 189 not also travelling via Hunt Club and Woodroffe is also a big L. Merivale is jammed even at noon, and they want the 189 to go via Merivale and Meadowlands? That's not going to work out to well for the workers at Colonnade who just want to go to Baseline the fastest way possible and take the train home. Yes even hunt Club gets jammed, so honestly, why not travel Merivale southbound to Slack, then ride along Slack to Woodroffe then continue regular route to Baseline?

So it seems the counselors have given the transit planners hell because a lot of routes have just been rejigged in the proposals. For example, people in Foster Farm were not happy of bus removal service during off peak hours. So it seems the 81 will not go via Greenbank, Craig Henry to Baseline, and will instead go to Bayshore via DuMaurier and Ramsey and Richmomd, filling in the gap. The 82 will also continue to run all day/seven days a week and will still run on its regular route, minus the deviation to Morrison and Lincoln via Pinecrest/Richmond. Morrison will still continue to receive all day service, thankfully. That was my biggest concern, taking transit options away from less fortunate communities. Good to see they're at least listening to something...

Link: http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/oc-transpo-route-review download revised proposals at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity I decided to play around with the travel planner and see if I could get anything for past December 23rd, which I found out I can. Timing of certain routes have changed, such as the second trip of the 612 departing 10 minutes after the first, and a trip added onto a route I forget (might've been the 88 or a rapid route). 

• 3 weeks later...

The STO have announced their Winter 2024 service changes, effective 8 January:

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=nouveautes&L=en

Winter 2024 service

The new winter service comes into effect on January 8, 2024.

Watch for schedule changes on all routes. Be sure to check times and plan your trips with Plani-bus.

Routes 93 and 95

There will be changes to the morning peak period circuits. Starting from autoroute 50, going westbound, the 93 and 95 will run along boulevard Lorrain and connect to the Rapibus corridor at Station Lorrain. This means that these two routes will no longer run along Montée Paiement in the morning.

These changes have been in effect since November 2023 as detours, and will become official effective January 8.

• Thanks 1