Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

7 hours ago, DD453T said:

What's the point, though? If there is no real benefit there is no point in loosing that option.

While the married pairs of Mark IIs that we currently have are generally flexible enough to adjust to the varying demands of the Expo and Millennium Lines at most periods of the day, both lines should ideally be using longer rolling stock at all times. This is especially important once the Broadway extension gets built... there's no way that the capacity of a two-car Mark II train will handle all the expected riders regardless of how many trains you manage to squeeze in. In fact, I seem to recall someone mentioning about a high number of customer complaints regarding packed Mark II trains when trying to travel westbound during peak hours.

A refurbishment and lengthening of this kind would trade the flexibility of shorter rolling stock (which as I stated earlier will eventually become irrelevant) for a higher train capacity, while at the same time doubling the number of trains available compared to just coupling two Mark IIs together.

I would like to see TransLink consider this option with the newer Mark II stock (3xx series) once sufficient numbers of Mark IIIs are delivered... It's possible that maybe the older Mark II stock (2xx series) could also be upgraded, but they may take longer and cost more due to older electronics and more wear and tear.

On 2017-12-30 at 3:26 PM, Millennium2002 said:

I would like to see TransLink consider this option with the newer Mark II stock (3xx series) once sufficient numbers of Mark IIIs are delivered... It's possible that maybe the older Mark II stock (2xx series) could also be upgraded, but they may take longer and cost more due to older electronics and more wear and tear.

Well, if it helps to mention, the KL Innovia 200s that were just merged are even older than our 2xx series Mark IIs (built in 1998). Combining a merging project with mid-life refurb will probably be more cost-efficient than doing those two separately.

3 hours ago, 8800GTX said:

Well, if it helps to mention, the KL Innovia 200s that were just merged are even older than our 2xx series Mark IIs (built in 1998). Combining a merging project with mid-life refurb will probably be more cost-efficient than doing those two separately.

I am aware of that, but gosh do they look kinda rusty on the outside and worn on the inside... I imagine the key mechanical and structural components are probably fine, but it's hard to say without subjecting one to an initial investigation (which I don't have access to of course).

37 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Are the green commemorative compass cards hard to come across? The compass machine at 22nd St Station has them

There are quite a few stations that have signage marked above the TVMs informing which machined have these cards to celeberate the 1year anniversary.. as far as being hard to come across. I dont believe so. Not yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meraki said:

The past few days I've noticed Novas mixed in with the trolleys on 4/7/9/10/16. Service expansion or something else? Like right now at 10pm the 9 is 25% Nova which seems weird, especially for off-peak.

Looking at the retirement export, out of 188 total, 36 E40LFRs were not in service today, 14 of which haven't been seen since 2017. Not sure how that compares to a typical day and before the service changes though.

As far as Nova's go, there only seems to have been a couple on each of those routes today (although there may have been morning peak ones that did other blocks in the afternoon, thus hiding the blocks). Quite a few were single trippers - VTC has a couple blocks that do the 9, 17, etc before doing other routes like the 25 and 33. BTC seems to have a few trippers on the 16 that are part of blocks with the 26/27/29 and 210/228/230.

4 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

The Canada Line's new route map has a serious glitch.

IMG_20180108_193155 (2).jpg  

Apologies for the horrible photo quality. If you didn't manage to understand the photo, here's the problem: the legend shows the 95 B-Line, but it doesn't show where you can connect to catch it. The other problem with the map is it shows where you can catch the 99 B-Line, but doesn't show it on the legend.

Perhaps thats not a legend in the 1st place

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Apologies for the horrible photo quality. If you didn't manage to understand the photo, here's the problem: the legend shows the 95 B-Line, but it doesn't show where you can connect to catch it. The other problem with the map is it shows where you can catch the 99 B-Line, but doesn't show it on the legend.

I'm pretty sure that's not a legend, It's just a list of all the connections you can make at waterfront. I don't think there is a legend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Everything is correct here. As stated above that is not a legend, otherwise it would probably note that being such.  You exit the Waterfront Station via the Canada Line's, Granville Street exit, bam, 95 B-Line right at the light. Thats why its listed as a connection at Waterfront, as Burrard is actually father to travel to coming inbound on a Canada Line train, as Burrard is deeper into the DT Cor, further Also do note that "95 B-Line" wont be listed to Waterfront Stn on Expo/Millennium Line trains because everyone would be getting off at Burrard first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Everything is correct here. As stated above that is not a legend, otherwise it would probably note that being such.  You exit the Waterfront Station via the Canada Line's, Granville Street exit, bam, 95 B-Line right at the light. Thats why its listed as a connection at Waterfront, as Burrard is actually father to travel to coming inbound on a Canada Line train, as Burrard is deeper into the DT Cor, further Also do note that "95 B-Line" wont be listed to Waterfront Stn on Expo/Millennium Line trains because everyone would be getting off at Burrard first.

Ah, I get it now. I thought it was a legend, but I guess I'm wrong. 

9 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

I want to see this picture now. Back in December 2016 when it first launched I left feedback that the diagram didn't include Waterfront as a connection point, it should go from Cambie/Hastings to Waterfront, then Burrard. Plus add signage in the Canada Line station that you can catch the 95 out the South exit.

Their response was "Thank you for your suggestions about the new SkyTrain, B-Line and SeaBus Network diagram.  We see your point, and will add this to our list of design considerations for the next time we update this diagram."

I didn't expect anything to actually come of it, so curious how it turned out.