Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

Buying anything from a grocery store is a major pet peeve. At Starsky this evening I waited 25 minutes in line before I could finally pay for my stuff. A good 30-40 people waiting and only 4 cashiers available. Long line ups are nothing unusual at grocery stores, having to use anything but self check out (which I hate and think is a terrible, cynical, ghoulish idea) is like pulling teeth.

But at least the CEO gets his nice bonus and company perks.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, T3G said:

Buying anything from a grocery store is a major pet peeve. At Starsky this evening I waited 25 minutes in line before I could finally pay for my stuff. A good 30-40 people waiting and only 4 cashiers available. Long line ups are nothing unusual at grocery stores, having to use anything but self check out (which I hate and think is a terrible, cynical, ghoulish idea) is like pulling teeth.

But at least the CEO gets his nice bonus and company perks.

For me, it is if the grocery store has the items in-stock. Of course, my local Walmart is notorious for having the most basic items out of stock and say "we are aware of the stock shortages and working to address the issue." I thought Walmart was so technologically advanced with sensors that they can tell when product is running low and have new inventory delivered and loaded before running out. This is along with one of the biggest supply chains in the world. 

No point in me complaining to the store manager who probably gets a ton of grievances on 10,000 different issues every day. 

Feels like you either get what you are looking for or going to a different place and hope they have x in-stock. 

Freshco is across the street from my local Walmart, might shop there instead from time to time. 

From my experience working for a multi billion dollar corporation, I would be astounded to find out that Walmart has sensors that automatically detect that inventory is getting low. These people use systems as primitive as possible to keep costs low. At my store, if our inventory says we have a stock of less than 5 it's a total crapshoot as to whether tad have any in the store at all.

Pet peeve: customers who interrupt you while you're already engaged helping a customer to ask for help. Last week this happened to me at least 5 times. What kind of new epidemic of stupidity is this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 7:59 PM, T3G said:

self check out (which I hate and think is a terrible, cynical, ghoulish idea)

I dislike them also and refuse to use them. Plus they are way too slow in scanning items: one at a time, put it in the bag before one can scan the next item! Plus, I do like talking to the cashier; another plus.

• Like 1

Inventory approaches.

Apparently, you can't request any time off during inventory because retail workers are actually servants of the company. No compensation is offered either, like a bonus for the inconvenience of having to put your personal life on hold, or having management actually back you up against abusive customers, we must arrange our personal life around a soulless business that cares nothing at all for us so that they can do their stupid count which will be off inside of a week since they don't want to pay to have loss prevention in the house at all times anyway.

I've begun looking for other work, I've had enough, but where I live there's basically no opportunities except for retail.

4 hours ago, T3G said:

I've begun looking for other work, I've had enough, but where I live there's basically no opportunities except for retail.

My guy, you gotta stop making excuses. Massive labor shortage nationwide and you can't find work? Something doesn't add up.

The key to finding and keeping work in 2023 is making yourself useful. Licenses, certifications, skills. Most unskilled labor nowadays gets picked up by teenagers and immigrants. Most managers of unskilled workplaces are crooked, they don't care about their employees, and have a strong "you need me more than I need you" attitude as a result... they'll hire and keep only who they want, only as they please. Even if you land a job in retail or whatever you have hardly any job security let alone quality of life, unionized or not.

You don't get any of that if you're a marketable candidate for a skilled job. Quite the opposite actually. Get a trade, everyone needs them and always will, companies literally trip over each other to hire skilled tradespeople. Get your driver's license and drive something.... transit bus, delivery truck, school bus, coach, Uber, DoorDash.... literally anything. Software engineer? Programmer? I don't think it's very difficult or expensive to get certified in those fields. Find a line of work that needs you more than you need them.

Skilled workers also tend to take pride in what they do and have a natural ability to stand up to their managers and employers and command respect, which generally results in good wages and overall quality of life in these fields in the long run. A culture that simply doesn't exist in the unskilled settings.

I know it can be hard if you've already shelled out a ton of money and time into a diploma or degree that has proven to be useless. Trust me, there was a time when I felt I may have done the same thing. There's nothing wrong with realizing you've made a mistake and starting over. In my opinion, the vast majority of degrees are useless nowadays and hardly worth the money and time unless they come with some sort of tangible certification. Colleges and universities like to take advantage of people's "passions" to collect tuition by selling niche programs certain people find interesting at first glance. The problem is, not all of these niches will make you money. This is also a problem with the transit fan community and a dangerous trap many people here fall into... generally we're a smart group of people skilled at things like pattern recognition, history keeping, and photography.... but as much as I hate to break it to many people on here, uploading hundreds of photos of buses onto someone else's site that you're paying $80/year to use and spending hours writing detailed captions for every single one of them is not a money making skill. 

Hope this was somewhat motivational. You got this, brother.

• Like 1

I've long given up on trying to find work in journalism, which is what I studied. But if I wanted to get a job in a skilled trade, that would also require several years of school, surely? Plumber, electrician, coder, those are all things that could probably be "learned" through YouTube, but I can't imagine anyone would want to hire an electrician who learned their trade over the internet. I know I wouldn't. So that's a minimum of several years before I can get a proper job. I'm currently looking into school for something more worthwhile than journalism, but I wouldn't be qualified for anything for quite a while.

I don't want to make the leap to another retail job, that would be every bit as terrible, but possibly with less pay. What I'm trying to do is get a receptionist / office assistant/admin type job, and change my situation in the short term. Education is all well and good, but this is a problem I am trying to sort out quicker than a few years.

This seems like it would be a worthwhile fit for me, having lots of experience with managing people and attending to administrative and on the ground problems. A lot of the postings locally either offer an even lower wage than mine is currently, so that's no good, quite a few (over Indeed) obfuscate the identity of the employer (major red flag), and a few spots for dental receptionist demand dental experience, which seems... odd for a receptionist job, and it's of course not a field of work I have experience in. Opening myself up to commuting opens up more opportunities, but considering that transit fare from my place to Toronto is a minimum of $10 + possible TTC fare, minimum wage is hardly going to cut it. When I see something that would be a material improvement over my current situation, and that I'm qualified for, I apply to it, but considering that when I lost my previous job at the end of 2018, I was unemployed for a year and a half... I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T3G said:

Have you tried printing shops? Many of them will train on site if you can demonstrate an interest in the field and a willingness to learn. They often start you in the bindery department. I've worked in that field for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it. You aren't working directly with the public, and often work with a great bunch of people that are happy to help you along with the learning. Pays better than retail too.

Speaking of retail, many places are hiring right now for the Christmas rush. A good time to try a place that you perhaps would like but haven't had the opportunity before. Sport Chek is a great place. Start with a department that you may know something about (footwear, or sports equipment). My son started in Footwear and he's Assistant Manager now. Been there 20 years.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, Nick B said:

My guy, you gotta stop making excuses. Massive labor shortage nationwide and you can't find work? Something doesn't add up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

^ I believe that's the missing part of the equation that'll make things add up.

On 10/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, Nick B said:

Software engineer? Programmer? I don't think it's very difficult or expensive to get certified in those fields.

As someone who went in this direction and looking for employment in this field: refer to the above link.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, T3G said:

and a few spots for dental receptionist demand dental experience, which seems... odd for a receptionist job

I mean I can understand the requirement that the receptionist be at least half-knowledgeable of what the company does and how, in this case that they have at least some knowledge of dentistry. During my last dentist appointment, at one point the receptionist actually took on assisting the doctor while the assistant was temporarily away.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, captaintrolley said:

Have you tried printing shops? Many of them will train on site if you can demonstrate an interest in the field and a willingness to learn. They often start you in the bindery department. I've worked in that field for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it. You aren't working directly with the public, and often work with a great bunch of people that are happy to help you along with the learning. Pays better than retail too.

Speaking of retail, many places are hiring right now for the Christmas rush. A good time to try a place that you perhaps would like but haven't had the opportunity before. Sport Chek is a great place. Start with a department that you may know something about (footwear, or sports equipment). My son started in Footwear and he's Assistant Manager now. Been there 20 years.

I haven't seen any postings for any printing shops, but if I do it will definitely be something I'll apply to.

Not keen on going to another retail situation, as I doubt my grievances would be addressed in any material way, and I'd take a pay cut on top of that. 

On 10/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, T3G said:

I've long given up on trying to find work in journalism, which is what I studied. But if I wanted to get a job in a skilled trade, that would also require several years of school, surely? Plumber, electrician, coder, those are all things that could probably be "learned" through YouTube, but I can't imagine anyone would want to hire an electrician who learned their trade over the internet. I know I wouldn't. So that's a minimum of several years before I can get a proper job. I'm currently looking into school for something more worthwhile than journalism, but I wouldn't be qualified for anything for quite a while.

I don't want to make the leap to another retail job, that would be every bit as terrible, but possibly with less pay. What I'm trying to do is get a receptionist / office assistant/admin type job, and change my situation in the short term. Education is all well and good, but this is a problem I am trying to sort out quicker than a few years.

This seems like it would be a worthwhile fit for me, having lots of experience with managing people and attending to administrative and on the ground problems. A lot of the postings locally either offer an even lower wage than mine is currently, so that's no good, quite a few (over Indeed) obfuscate the identity of the employer (major red flag), and a few spots for dental receptionist demand dental experience, which seems... odd for a receptionist job, and it's of course not a field of work I have experience in. Opening myself up to commuting opens up more opportunities, but considering that transit fare from my place to Toronto is a minimum of $10 + possible TTC fare, minimum wage is hardly going to cut it. When I see something that would be a material improvement over my current situation, and that I'm qualified for, I apply to it, but considering that when I lost my previous job at the end of 2018, I was unemployed for a year and a half... I'm not holding my breath.

Trades apprenticeships are paid, and rather well might I add. Even a first year wet behind the ears apprentice will earn substantially more than anything retail has to offer.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

-Co-workers who "voluntell" you to assist a customer even though you are not ready to do so. The other day I had stepped away from my cash register into a corner to blow my nose, and some customers come up and my co-worker told them that I can help them out at my register. Are you kidding me? Can I not at least finish blowing my nose in peace?

-Customers who don't pay attention to a purchase while it's being rung up, but then after they have paid they stand there painstakingly, insultingly checking their receipt. Bonus points if they discover there's something wrong, like a clearance item that scanned at full price. The best ones will head over to customer service to get their purchase adjusted; the worst ones will stand there and abuse you for not putting the discount through into the cash register, even though anyone with half a brain cell to rub together would be able to figure out that I have no means of knowing every single product in the store, and whether it's on clearance or not. If they paid attention and watched the screen as I was ringing them up, they would be able to notice the problem and bring it to my attention in time, but that would get in the way of standing around and scratching their ass while a nameless, faceless corporate automaton serves them.

-anti theft devices that trigger things that beep. Apart from giving retail workers a raging headache, what is the point of this?

-Related to above: self check outs that require you to step in and intervene when a customer attempts to scan through a tote box or bag, forcing you to check if there are items inside. Yeah, no, I am not going to be checking to see if someone is a thief or not, that is loss prevention's job. Pay LP to be in the house every day and stop making my life more difficult.

-Self check out error messages that repeat themselves too frequently. At our store the message telling the customers someone will be with them momentarily sounds off at full volume every eight seconds. When you're stuck by yourself at the self check out, which is often, because corporate does not give a fig about worker welfare, and multiple people require assistance, by the time you've cleared all the errors you have a raging headache.

1 hour ago, T3G said:

If they paid attention and watched the screen as I was ringing them up,

Quite often 'we' the customer are busy bagging our own purchases (I don't mind doing this) but can't do that and keep an eye on the screen at the same time. Especially when things are being scanned through at lightening speed.

1 hour ago, T3G said:

-Self check out error messages that repeat themselves too frequently.

Self Check Out Machine in Loud Annoying Voice "Item in Bagging Area"

If that is the case then that is of course understandable, but at our store customer do not bag themselves unless it's self check out. Cashiers always bag the items here. 

It's not them grabbing their payment from their wallet either. As well, our pinpads allow a customer to view their entire purchase before it is rung up.

Two other pet peeves:

The vapidness of "how are you?" as a greeting. Unless you know the person, you're not gonna care what their answer is, but you still have to answer "good" even if you are the furthest thing from it. The customers who don't say anything are the most truthful ones, because they don't care about me, nor I about them. 

Stupidly placed QR codes (that no one will ever use) being placed too close to the barcode on a product. The worst example I had is a guy who was carrying a bag of shingles over his shoulder. I'm sure he was very happy with the delay caused by the scan gun catching the QR code instead of the barcode, all because some product designer couldn't see beyond the tip of their own nose. Also, heavy items that don't have barcodes on all sides.

3 hours ago, T3G said:

The vapidness of "how are you?" as a greeting. Unless you know the person, you're not gonna care what their answer is, but you still have to answer "good" even if you are the furthest thing from it. The customers who don't say anything are the most truthful ones, because they don't care about me, nor I about them. 

Agreed. In a customer service / at work situation I would try to avoid that. At worst, I may say "how's it going?" or "how are things?" because sometimes you are trapped into saying something. I have friends that if you specifically ask how they are will proceed with a half hour story of all their ailments and problems. 

When I can, I just say "Greetings" in my best Marvin The Martian voice. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:43 PM, T3G said:

-Related to above: self check outs that require you to step in and intervene when a customer attempts to scan through a tote box or bag, forcing you to check if there are items inside. Yeah, no, I am not going to be checking to see if someone is a thief or not, that is loss prevention's job. Pay LP to be in the house every day and stop making my life more difficult.

-Self check out error messages that repeat themselves too frequently. At our store the message telling the customers someone will be with them momentarily sounds off at full volume every eight seconds. When you're stuck by yourself at the self check out, which is often, because corporate does not give a fig about worker welfare, and multiple people require assistance, by the time you've cleared all the errors you have a raging headache.

thumbnail.jpg

• Haha 3

When popular sites (yt, fb, reddit, etc) suddenly change their UI one day to a barely recognizable form. Seriously annoying, just leave it alone as is, most people are probably used to the way it was before and don't wanna have to get used to the redesigned version that they didn't ask for.

Arrogant self-centered people.

So I am on my way out of the building, on the second last step with my 'granny cart' (for groceries and things) and basically inches from the door. This guy is entering the building, opens the door, walks in with the door shutting behind him, and waits for me to complete my descent down the last step.

I was right there. He could have (should have) just held the door open for me. It's not like he didn't see me. He would have not lost any time, it's not like I was at the top of the staircase. Crap like that just blows my mind.

Even when I am laden with stuff, I still hold doors open for people, often young people that are able to open the doors, just because it's the right thing to do.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, 81-717 said:

When popular sites (yt, fb, reddit, etc) suddenly change their UI one day to a barely recognizable form. Seriously annoying, just leave it alone as is, most people are probably used to the way it was before and don't wanna have to get used to the redesigned version that they didn't ask for.

I hate change especially when they feel the need to change the algorithms just to try and make more money. Having to relearn the new design hoping it doesn't change in another few months. 

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Arrogant self-centered people.

So I am on my way out of the building, on the second last step with my 'granny cart' (for groceries and things) and basically inches from the door. This guy is entering the building, opens the door, walks in with the door shutting behind him, and waits for me to complete my descent down the last step.

I was right there. He could have (should have) just held the door open for me. It's not like he didn't see me. He would have not lost any time, it's not like I was at the top of the staircase. Crap like that just blows my mind.

Even when I am laden with stuff, I still hold doors open for people, often young people that are able to open the doors, just because it's the right thing to do.

I don't blame you on self-centred people. Especially when some people are demanding or makes excuses for their poor behaviour or decisions. I mean, the world doesn't revolve around one person. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Trimetwes Fan1003 said:

When this one guy continues to post photos of a flxible metro and knowing that i'll never be able to see it in real life.

I feel the same way about the C14 Stockholm subways, knowing they'll be gone in the coming weeks and that I most likely won't have a chance to see them again, and for all we know they might not even return to service at all (only 4 trains left, and it seems like they haven't been used much, if at all, over the holidays). Definitely feel the same way seeing other people posting photos/videos of them long after me (and some of those getting more views than mine might I add).

1 hour ago, 81-717 said:

I feel the same way about the C14 Stockholm subways, knowing they'll be gone in the coming weeks and that I most likely won't have a chance to see them again, and for all we know they might not even return to service at all (only 4 trains left, and it seems like they haven't been used much, if at all, over the holidays). Definitely feel the same way seeing other people posting photos/videos of them long after me (and some of those getting more views than mine might I add).

Actually it's because the guy that owns the Flxible Metro refuses to let anyone see it except the guy that's been posting the photos. And i've tried several times to get them to let me see it. But they all respond with very harsh denial.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it’s terrible drivers who don’t even make a complete stop at the stop sign! The general rule of thumb is when there are multiple cars the driver who stops first gets to go. BUT NO, people nowadays inch forward thinking they get to go first, and that’s how you get into accidents

• Like 1