PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

One more GO Train FTP and ballance checker are unstalled, but not yet active in Union Station near the ACC corridor.

They've finally activated the machines for Tracks 26 and 27 in the VIA concourse/Telus building connector. Previously if you were coming that way from the south you had to go halfway through the VIA concourse to tap on before boarding. Also, if you forgot to tap on earlier you had to double back quite a bit. Really frustrating if you're cutting it close to catch your train.

By the end of the month, if you've reached the point where your rides are free (41 trips and beyond) does that extend to other trips? From PRESTO's website:

For rides 36 and onwards, your discount will be based on the value of the rides you’ve taken that month.

That'd be one hell of a loyalty perk if you're given carte blanche with free access to all of GO's services once you've reached that point.

The Presto Card readers on Ottawa's buses look rather different: https://twitter.com/...435884085194752

It is the next generation of PRESTO that's being implemented in Ottawa. I don't know which one will get installed in Toronto as they have an initial set of first generation equipment. Knowing the TTC, I don't think they'd have both sets throughout their system. How soon before other GTAH agencies start upgrading to the newer version?

They just installed the presto readers, let's not throw them out before people even get the cards!

Is this reader on the rear door because on OC transpo they do rear boarding, so you should be able to board through either the front of back with presto? It also gives them the capability of fare by distance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of Presto readers will be installed on the new LRVs that are going to run on the Legacy system.

As brought up in the Presto thread in the Ottawa section, Presto Next Generation (PNG) readers are compatible with current generation cards (but the current generation of readers are not compatible with PNG cards). If they're being installed as we speak in Ottawa, I can't see why readers that will be installed on all of TTC surface fleet (including both Legacy and Transit City LRVs) would not be of this PNG type.

The new readers have *much* bigger screens. Hopefully they will use it to show better information, not just more information.

(Also, am I the only one who thinks of the image format when I see "PNG"?)

When I see PNG, I immediately thin Papua New Guinea... but I digress.

I decided to see what would happen if I took a non-default trip with over 40 trips already logged onto my PRESTO card. My default is Union-Erindale. I decided to ride out to Brampton GO so that i could pick up a PRESTO card ($6 issuing fee wiaved) for someone else. The trip usually costs $7.25 but I was only charged $1.03 which is (to the nearest whole per cent) 86% off the regular fare which isn't one of the plateau levels.

I checked my account and there's a Loyalty Summary breakdown.

Step >> Trip >>>>> Discount

1 >>> 1 to 35 >>> 0 %

2 >>> 36 to 40 >>> 11.43 %

3 >>> 41 to 70 >>> 79.51 %

4 >>> 71 to 100 >>> 85.2 %

5 >>> 101 and up >>> 85.2 %

It's been giving me free rides on my default trips beyond the 40th trip. I guess non-default trips get the 85.2% discount (I guess there was some leeway with rounding).

I decided to see what would happen if I took a non-default trip with over 40 trips already logged onto my PRESTO card. My default is Union-Erindale. I decided to ride out to Brampton GO so that i could pick up a PRESTO card ($6 issuing fee wiaved) for someone else. The trip usually costs $7.25 but I was only charged $1.03 which is (to the nearest whole per cent) 86% off the regular fare which isn't one of the plateau levels.

[removed chart]

It's been giving me free rides on my default trips beyond the 40th trip. I guess non-default trips get the 85.2% discount (I guess there was some leeway with rounding).

Steve Munro emailed Presto and has a description of how Presto charges fares, including trips outside the normal "default" trip. The details are located near the bottom of his post.

Very useful feedback. I've been prodding Presto abut their website accessability (or lack thereof) for some time. (Those text links on the home page under the splash screen only appeared after I emailed them to say Flash is no good for screenreaders). Also good to see that front-line GO Transit staff seem to 'get' accessability issues - it bodes well for the furture.

Given you were on the Hamilton QEW express, you should be able to load it at Hamilton GO Centre. It's open until 11pm every day.

cool, Thanks, just wanted to say hi too.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading a couple posts about the demagnetizing of Metropasses, I'm curious as to whether there is a possibility the Presto card can do this? My April metropass has been very finicky when it comes to swiping at certain turnstiles, some of them don't read it while others read it but voids it. I've never had any troubles until this month with metropasses and my Presto card in the same pocket every single day. Any others experiencing problems with their metropasses when its sitting next to a Presto card day-in-day-out?

After reading a couple posts about the demagnetizing of Metropasses, I'm curious as to whether there is a possibility the Presto card can do this? My April metropass has been very finicky when it comes to swiping at certain turnstiles, some of them don't read it while others read it but voids it. I've never had any troubles until this month with metropasses and my Presto card in the same pocket every single day. Any others experiencing problems with their metropasses when its sitting next to a Presto card day-in-day-out?

I've been having this problem since long before I was storing my Presto card in the same pocket. I suspect it has more to do with damage to the magnetic strip over time and/or bending of the card so that it takes a permanent curve.

Dan

Step >> Trip >>>>> Discount

1 >>> 1 to 35 >>> 0 %

2 >>> 36 to 40 >>> 11.43 %

3 >>> 41 to 70 >>> 79.51 %

4 >>> 71 to 100 >>> 85.2 %

5 >>> 101 and up >>> 85.2 %

You can get free rides on the 40+ mark even without a default trip set. It seems to depend on how much you've spent that month versus the cash fare of the trip you've taken (if that makes sense).

I'm not sure what these numebrs mean, as you get a discount over the cash fare for rides 1 to 35!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, it seems that Presto cards only cost $1.25 to produce, making the $6 issue fee excessively high.

In http://www.ottawacit...3868/story.html it says "The city is spending $250,000 to prime the Presto-card pump, giving out 200,000 free cards to OC Transpo users starting in June." So that's $1.25 per card!

I'm not sure what these numbers mean, as you get a discount over the cash fare for rides 1 to 35!

I agree that it's somewhat confusing.

For adult riders, every Presto trip, on- or off- the default trip, is charged at the 10-trip rate, which as you suggest is already at an approximate 7.5% discount from the corresponding cash fare. This is an advantage of Presto on non-default trips, because before Presto, one had to buy a 10-trip ticket for a non-default trip, in order to get the 10-trip discount for that trip.

So, in the Loyalty Summary table, the discount factors are based on the 10-trip rate as the starting point.

For seniors (like me), the 10-trip rate does not apply, so Presto charges at a 50% discount from the adult cash fare for all trips (on- or off-default).

ok, had a really weird incident yesterday...

tapped on with my presto at mimico no issues, it did the proper beep, caught my train to aldershot.. went to tap off, no beep!, the damm thing wouldn't tap me off! I touched the machine gently with my card, as the CSR told me to do.. no beep, I FREAKED! I went to the bus driver, he got hold of someone & they figured out that the machine in the station had shut off.... WTF??

i tapped onto the bus, fine, tapped off fine...

came back to Toronto on the last express out of hamilton, no problems at all. beeps all sounded fine..

ok, had a really weird incident yesterday...

tapped on with my presto at mimico no issues, it did the proper beep, caught my train to aldershot.. went to tap off, no beep!, the damm thing wouldn't tap me off! I touched the machine gently with my card, as the CSR told me to do.. no beep, I FREAKED! I went to the bus driver, he got hold of someone & they figured out that the machine in the station had shut off.... WTF??

Never seen that before. Some kind of power failure or computer failure I guess.

I guess the lesson is that if nothing seems to happen, then try another unit.

Never seen that before. Some kind of power failure or computer failure I guess.

I guess the lesson is that if nothing seems to happen, then try another unit.

I only found the one unit, I don't know if there was another, but in my worry & panic of missing the connection, I didn't find another machine, the bus driver was awesome though..

I only found the one unit, I don't know if there was another, but in my worry & panic of missing the connection, I didn't find another machine, the bus driver was awesome though..

I'm not familiar with Mimico, but every station I've used on Lakeshore has multiple units Offhand, I can't think of one that doesn't have 4 units. Sometimes quite close together.

And none of the stations I use the most have bus service, and are often unstaffed!

Kudos to the bus driver though.

incidents like this is why i dont want a presto card.......among other reasons

It is rather a rare event. I could imagine it's much more likely to miss your train, waiting to buy a ticket. And personally, I've made trains with Presto, I'd never have made, if I'd stopped and tried to validate a 10-ride ticket.

It is rather a rare event. I could imagine it's much more likely to miss your train, waiting to buy a ticket. And personally, I've made trains with Presto, I'd never have made, if I'd stopped and tried to validate a 10-ride ticket.

Right. Although I don't take the GO often, the 10 ride ticket failed on me once (even though it was in good condition) and I had to wait in line for them to print another ticket. I imagine something that has to physically stamp your card as well as read the strip is much more prone to errors than presto.