PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

I have a 10-ride GO train ticket from Ajax to Union. Is it possible to exchange that into a PRESTO card? Didn't I mention to you that I have my regular DRT adult tickets (no, not the co-fare ones, TYVM) with me? Once PRESTO is fully deployed on the DRT buses, I will still use the last "bits" of those DRT adult tickets. As of now,I solely use those tickets to ride the DRT bus to the Ajax GO station and on Satudays to the Pickering Town Centre (either by GO bus or the Flag Bus) and other places within Durham. Any suggestions?

See this: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/p...ofaresMay1.aspx

Didn't you ask this before? I'd like to think checking PRESTO or GO Transit's websites (or emailing them/asking them on their Facebook page) would yield a more definite answer.

Well yes...xD but it may often take time for them to respond - unless I call them directly. Having the PRESTO card is pretty useful for transfering from one transit system - into another. Quite useful for people who are heading to the Warped Tour next year (the dates have been released and so far Toronto and Montreal are the only Canadian dates for the 2011 edition of the tour. As for the Toronto leg, it will take place at Arrow Hall - located within the International Centre in Mississauga. Oddly enough, the venue is located next to the Malton GO station - which is PRESTO-activated).

I already know that TTC is NOT a full participant of the PRESTO programme, but certain subway stations are. I may or may not head to the Warped Tour next year - because of focusing on other things....

I'm too lazy to flip through the previous pages, I think this might have been asked before, but...

PRESTO is rolling out on York Region Transit \ Viva next spring, but what are the arrangements for TTC-contracted service in York Region? How will PRESTO card work for these buses? I mean, it'll be really inconvenient if PRESTO only works on YRT and Viva buses, but not TTCs.

I'm too lazy to flip through the previous pages, I think this might have been asked before, but...

I don't know how you expect to get answers when you start off a post like this. :)

PRESTO is rolling out on York Region Transit \ Viva next spring, but what are the arrangements for TTC-contracted service in York Region? How will PRESTO card work for these buses? I mean, it'll be really inconvenient if PRESTO only works on YRT and Viva buses, but not TTCs.

It'll be simple and very much like the present arrangement - if you board the TTC bus you pay cash or ticket fare, and show your transfer on the YRT/VIVA bus. If you board a YRT/VIVA bus, you grab a paper transfer when you pay your fare using PRESTO and show it to the TTC driver.

Way to go. There's always one who will answer. You just rewarded his laziness.

To my knowledge it hasn't been mentioned in thread yet (I haven't searched but I don't recall it ever popping up recently), so even if he did look the question still would've been needed to have been asked.

Even if I didn't answer it, you or anyone else would've also answered him too.

EDIT: Searched until 6 months ago and there was no mention of it.

It'll be simple and very much like the present arrangement - if you board the TTC bus you pay cash or ticket fare, and show your transfer on the YRT/VIVA bus. If you board a YRT/VIVA bus, you grab a paper transfer when you pay your fare using PRESTO and show it to the TTC driver.

more complicated than you thought, how will one get a paper transfer if he starts from a viva stop?

more complicated than you thought, how will one get a paper transfer if he starts from a viva stop?

Not a problem. The YRT/VIVA operator will issue a Presto paper transfer. This is what happens in Burlington and Oakville when a passenger pays by fare media other than the Presto card (cash or tickets) and requires a transfer for his/her next trip. There is a 120 minute expiry limit from the time that the transfer is issued.

My previous comment above did not address your point if the customer starts from Viva, so it is more complicated in that case. If/when Presto is implemented for Viva, one approach would be a Presto proof-of-payment receipt issued to Presto card holders at the payment stations, which could only be used for transfers to TTC buses. Of course, this would only be an interim step until the TTC adopted a smart card fare method (Presto or another), since the Presto cards could then be read on the TTC buses, as they are currently read on OT, BT (and soon on MT, DRT and HST) buses, and the paper Presto receipt would no longer be required.

Viva fare inspectors would have the portable readers that the GO fare inspectors currently use on the GO train lines that have Presto fully implemented.

My previous comment above did not address your point if the customer starts from Viva, so it is more complicated in that case. If/when Presto is implemented for Viva, one approach would be a Presto proof-of-payment receipt issued to Presto card holders at the payment stations, which could only be used for transfers to TTC buses. Of course, this would only be an interim step until the TTC adopted a smart card fare method (Presto or another), since the Presto cards could then be read on the TTC buses, as they are currently read on OT, BT (and soon on MT, DRT and HST) buses, and the paper Presto receipt would no longer be required.

Viva fare inspectors would have the portable readers that the GO fare inspectors currently use on the GO train lines that have Presto fully implemented.

When. Presto will be implemented for Viva.

I think what I could see is that the Viva machines would have another option, saying one would pay fare via their Presto card, which would activate the Presto machine, allowing the person to tap. Then a one/two ride ticket will be printed from the Viva machine.

When. Presto will be implemented for Viva.

I think what I could see is that the Viva machines would have another option, saying one would pay fare via their Presto card, which would activate the Presto machine, allowing the person to tap. Then a one/two ride ticket will be printed from the Viva machine.

Thanks for the "when" correction. What you are suggesting makes sense.

maybe as an interim they can also have a magnetic stripe built into the card so they can swipe like a debit on the viva machines and it will give u a ticket

That would be more complicated and costly than setting up the current fare machines to produce receipts for those paying with PRESTO.

Danforth GO is up next, possibly as early as Wednesday.

according to GO Transit's facebook page, it has been moved to this coming Thursday. When I rode the GO train from Ajax to Union last week-end, all of the PRESTO plans are coming together on the Lakeshore East line. Some of the readers are being installed, while others are not yet activated.....

according to GO Transit's facebook page, it has been moved to this coming Thursday. When I rode the GO train from Ajax to Union last week-end, all of the PRESTO plans are coming together on the Lakeshore East line. Some of the readers are being installed, while others are not yet activated.....

Yes it's tomorrow. After this, next up should be Oshawa and (IIRC) Eglinton.

Yes it's tomorrow. After this, next up should be Oshawa and (IIRC) Eglinton.

I thought that the Georgetown line should have their PRESTO readers ready and be activated by now. Why do they decided to jump the PRESTO deployment into the Lakeshore East line? By the way, I'm in the process of writing my updated review about the PRESTO card on my blog. It should be up later on......

I thought that the Georgetown line should have their PRESTO readers ready and be activated by now. Why do they decided to jump the PRESTO deployment into the Lakeshore East line? By the way, I'm in the process of writing my updated review about the PRESTO card on my blog. It should be up later on......

It's not so much jumping the deployment but having stations go live when they are ready. There are issues holding up those Georgetown stations....

does anyone know when the GO bus routes ( specifically the 88 Peterborough and the Aldershot-Hamilton bus) will get the presto machine? and Would you be able to get a Presto card in Peterborough at the ticket agent during office hours? a

Buses will have Presto sometime before spring, but there's nothing official yet.