TTC Orion VII Retirement Tracker

3 minutes ago, Shemar said:

The OG diesels haven't stopped retiring. As long as there are enough new buses in service to replace them.

Exactly and even things like if they find some major flaw with the new buses and they have to pull them, it can delay retirements as well. So it’s all based on the condition of each unit (from the series that is slated for retirement) and the rate of how fast the new buses can replace them.

1 hour ago, Genius101 said:

They should keep them until they outlive the fishbowls so Queensway riders will have to ride 40 or 50 year old handmedowns 

41 minutes ago, 3190 said:

You could’ve at least had a more realistic reason than that…customers could care less 😂

Nah... I say keep them until they outlive the T1s 😂

On 10/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, Toro said:

1017 1038 1052 1122 1146 at  North Queen, hopefully not for dead storage as the end is near 

On 10/29/2023 at 11:07 PM, Toro said:

1024 1064 1083 1117 1131 at North Queen. Possible dead storage as high volumes of xcelsiors come 

There should be 7 VII OG HEVs at North Queen remaining. 1017 has been retired, while 1024 & 1064 have returned to service

• Like 1

1019, 1057, 1143 are at North Queen and have been there for about a week. Retirement?

also why is the TTC sending these OG hybrids to NQ and having them sit there for over a month rather than retiring them, considering after they sent some of the OG hybrids there they retired other OG hybrids from mt Dennis directly. Why doesn’t the TTC just retire those buses at NQ?

33 minutes ago, Novabus photographer said:

1019, 1057, 1143 are at North Queen and have been there for about a week. Retirement?

also why is the TTC sending these OG hybrids to NQ and having them sit there for over a month rather than retiring them, considering after they sent some of the OG hybrids there they retired other OG hybrids from mt Dennis directly. Why doesn’t the TTC just retire those buses at NQ?

The buses retired at Mt Dennis all suffered something mechanically complex to repair. If the repair job were to be labour intensive of manpower hours, it make more sense to just retire and replace the bus with a New Flyer Xcelsior. The NQ buses are in storage (at least from Mt Dennis) since parking is tight now since Jurassic Park was redeveloped, and is under construction for the relocation of the employee parking lot. If Jurassic Park was still available for storage space, Mt Dennis would have just relied on the short distance than the journey to NQ

Also, back on topic, 1023 is a bus to look out for. It was sounding horrible at idle when servicing a stop today on the 45A  K I P L I N G

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The buses retired at Mt Dennis all suffered something mechanically complex to repair. If the repair job were to be labour intensive of manpower hours, it make more sense to just retire and replace the bus with a New Flyer Xcelsior. The NQ buses are in storage (at least from Mt Dennis) since parking is tight now since Jurassic Park was redeveloped, and is under construction for the relocation of the employee parking lot. If Jurassic Park was still available for storage space, Mt Dennis would have just relied on the short distance than the journey to NQ

Thanks that makes sense. My only other question is that when all the 72-73xx and 94xx are delivered, what are they going to do with the OG hybrids that don’t need repairs currently, especially since MtD will be way over capacity with all the flyers and the remaining 75 or so (I’m not sure the exact number) OG hybrids at MtD. Will they just keep those in storage at NQ (or another location as well depending on if NQ has enough space) or retire them? 

I also remember back in late 2018 when they were retiring the last few Detroit OGs that they would tape the fuel doors shut of the Detroit OGs before sending them on a final run and then retiring them, would that end up happening when all the flyers are delivered?

1 hour ago, Novabus photographer said:

Thanks that makes sense. My only other question is that when all the 72-73xx and 94xx are delivered, what are they going to do with the OG hybrids that don’t need repairs currently, especially since MtD will be way over capacity with all the flyers and the remaining 75 or so (I’m not sure the exact number) OG hybrids at MtD. Will they just keep those in storage at NQ (or another location as well depending on if NQ has enough space) or retire them? 

The remaining OGs will be retired since that is the commission’s plan. The NGs & some artics will be transferred out (my assumption) with the commissioning of the Xcelsior 40 & 60 footers.

Given that there has been strong rumours of the Xcelsiors being split up, it will be to replenish transfers resulting from the OG diesel retirements. Once all the 81/82s are transferred to Queensway, there will still be a need of LFS diesels that McNicoll will send to Queensway. To fill the void left in those LFS transfers, I can see some XDE40s going east. 

1 hour ago, Novabus photographer said:

I also remember back in late 2018 when they were retiring the last few Detroit OGs that they would tape the fuel doors shut of the Detroit OGs before sending them on a final run and then retiring them, would that end up happening when all the flyers are delivered?

That I would not have the answer to. 

3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The remaining OGs will be retired since that is the commission’s plan. The NGs & some artics will be transferred out (my assumption) with the commissioning of the Xcelsior 40 & 60 footers.

Given that there has been strong rumours of the Xcelsiors being split up, it will be to replenish transfers resulting from the OG diesel retirements. Once all the 81/82s are transferred to Queensway, there will still be a need of LFS diesels that McNicoll will send to Queensway. To fill the void left in those LFS transfers, I can see some XDE40s going east. 

That I would not have the answer to. 

Could that explain why 4 XDE40s are at McNicoll maybe for operator training if they might be getting half of them in the future?which leads to my next question what will Mount Dennis get in return of the half that would move east?

2 hours ago, Young said:

Could that explain why 4 XDE40s are at McNicoll maybe for operator training if they might be getting half of them in the future?which leads to my next question what will Mount Dennis get in return of the half that would move east?

They probably won’t be losing half of the XDE40s, in fact probably a much smaller number, but there is a good chance they will get nothing in return. Firstly, with only 90 OG diesels left currently, there will be the last 45 8100s to replace around half of them (possibly even more than that as queensway is already over capacity). Secondly, when all 134 7000 series novas enter service, Wilson be able to push out some of the 83xx to queensway to kill off more OGs (currently less than half of that series is in service, and more that 60 are yet to enter service, more than the number of 8100s left at Wilson). At that point, depending on how many OGs are left, another division which would most likely be mcnicoll would fill the remaining gap that Wilson is not able to, and that gap won’t be that large. With 133 XDE40s, 25 potatoes, 68 XDE60s, and a few remaining nova artics, MtD will already be well at capacity, and they possibly may even keep the NG hybrids temporarily, and would probably only need to transfer around 20 XDE40s to mcnicoll, which would not impact MtD heavily. Also, if the crosstown opens by the time all the flyers enter service, MtD won’t even need as many buses, so they could easily afford to transfer a few to McNicoll

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The intention seems to be to focus on sending some of the 9400s to mcnicoll as they come online for RT replacement specifically.

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense, considering they took the artics off the 53 and half of them off the 953. I would have to think they're short of artics at McNicoll by now.

27 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense, considering they took the artics off the 53 and half of them off the 953. I would have to think they're short of artics at McNicoll by now.

So why not send the remaining nova artics from Mount Dennis instead of brand new buses

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The intention seems to be to focus on sending some of the 9400s to mcnicoll as they come online for RT replacement specifically.

Would the 9400s be split between McNicoll and Mount Dennis 34/34

15 minutes ago, Young said:

So why not send the remaining nova artics from Mount Dennis instead of brand new buses

Would the 9400s be split between McNicoll and Mount Dennis 34/34

There is political willpower to put "clean" hybrid buses on the Line 3 shuttles. (The promise was originally for the shuttle to run with only non-polluting electric buses, but it's clear that is not possible with the current fleet).

Which would mean that McNicoll (or Malvern) needs hybrid artics to run the 903.