renewal
Previously approved funding for 2015-
2018 includes:
$803.3 million for the Valley Line LRT
$3.0 million for the Transit Smart
Fare System
$0.7 million for the Law Courts
pedway connection repairs

I don't think they anticipated how much traffic ETS would add to the existing system. They only have the capabilities to have 20 or 22 concurrent conversations at a time on the system. Think about how many users are on the system - public works, fire, police, EMS, transit, transportation, parks, and who knows who else.

The existing system is quite old technology which is getting hard to find parts for to replace stuff that breaks. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do. Can someone get the model number of a radio in a bus? I'm curious if they will be able to be used on the AFRCS system, or if they're strictly EDACS only.

Hey guys, already made a thread in my Manitoba section asking... but I'm trying to find anything on ETS that I can use for a class project. Secondary sources preferred, but also accepting articles. Anything regarding: the LRT (1978-1990s Health Sciences expansion era), the electric trolley system, government documents, studies, anything that would help me research "Rapid Transit" and present it in a debate. U of Manitoba library search turned up nothing. :P

Any help I can get would totally be appreciated. Thanks!

• Board Admin

The only "Rapid Transit" around here is the LRT and the route 100 Super Express. :P

The LRT was interesting, it ended (south) at University Station for the longest time. It was a lot of money to bring it back above ground for the Health Sciences extension. And now it goes all the way to Century Park. Still lots of traffic issues as a result around the University area. One may argue this is a good thing to get people out of their cars, but that isn't happening at a fast enough rate. I feel real sorry for anyone who has to commute from the University and needs to take Fox Drive. Anyway, the LRT system is well used, and the future expansion is exciting!

I digitized this report by Robert R. Clark about the general guidelines of Edmonton's LRT which may be helpful: http://trolleycoalition.org/pdf/lrtreport.pdf

The NAIT expansion has been delayed numerous times, lately because of the signal system. The City is not happy with Thales. The electric buses serving a "free" downtown to NAIT loop are also now gone. Winter-designed versions are supposed to come for testing.

A few books:

Edmonton Transit System History by E. Campbell (ends at 1978 so maybe not so useful for your purposes)

Edmonton's Electric Transit by Colin K Hatcher & Tom Schwarzkopf (published in 1983, so again may be too old)

Ride of the Century: The story of the Edmonton Transit System by Ken Tingley (was released for ETS's centennial so a bit "promotional")

The only "Rapid Transit" around here is the LRT and the route 100 Super Express. :P

The LRT was interesting, it ended (south) at University Station for the longest time. It was a lot of money to bring it back above ground for the Health Sciences extension. And now it goes all the way to Century Park. Still lots of traffic issues as a result around the University area. One may argue this is a good thing to get people out of their cars, but that isn't happening at a fast enough rate. I feel real sorry for anyone who has to commute from the University and needs to take Fox Drive. Anyway, the LRT system is well used, and the future expansion is exciting!

I digitized this report by Robert R. Clark about the general guidelines of Edmonton's LRT which may be helpful: http://trolleycoalition.org/pdf/lrtreport.pdf

The NAIT expansion has been delayed numerous times, lately because of the signal system. The City is not happy with Thales. The electric buses serving a "free" downtown to NAIT loop are also now gone. Winter-designed versions are supposed to come for testing.

A few books:

Edmonton Transit System History by E. Campbell (ends at 1978 so maybe not so useful for your purposes)

Edmonton's Electric Transit by Colin K Hatcher & Tom Schwarzkopf (published in 1983, so again may be too old)

Ride of the Century: The story of the Edmonton Transit System by Ken Tingley (was released for ETS's centennial so a bit "promotional")

Just wondering, would you happen to know how to format that (the LRT report) in MLA? I have to cite all of my sources in MLA, and still trying to get used to it!

As for the books, sadly my computer/internet at home has crashed... only managed to get this just now. I'm just about to start looking up books in the library here. I got about... 12 Winnipeg documents/reports/books to go through on this campus today :P hopefully I'll find some stuff on Calgary and Edmonton too!

Just wondering, would you happen to know how to format that (the LRT report) in MLA? I have to cite all of my sources in MLA, and still trying to get used to it!

As for the books, sadly my computer/internet at home has crashed... only managed to get this just now. I'm just about to start looking up books in the library here. I got about... 12 Winnipeg documents/reports/books to go through on this campus today :P hopefully I'll find some stuff on Calgary and Edmonton too!

Ah good ol' University, eh? :D

I would cite it in the style of a thesis / dissertation. I'm not an expert on MLA (I normally use Chicago footnotes/bibliography), but I assume the bibliographic citation should look something like this:

Clark, Robert R. "General Guidelines for the Design of Light Rail Transit Facilities in Edmonton." Edmonton Trolley Coalition. The Edmonton Trolley Coalition, 2009. Web. 10. Nov. 2014. <http://trolleycoalition.org/pdf/lrtreport.pdf>.

Ask your instructor if they want the URL included, as I believe it is optional for MLA ;)