General CTrain Discussion

36 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Sounds like a winner to me, though I don't live in the area.

A little confused at the $50 million price tag for the additional train - I was under the impression that the S200s cost about $2 million each. Four of those makes $8 million. Where does the other $42 million come in?

Can safely say Councillor Carra misspoke or there is a typo in there. My understanding is the entire project is 50 million, which includes additional rolling stock.

7 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

A little confused at the $50 million price tag for the additional train - I was under the impression that the S200s cost about $2 million each. Four of those makes $8 million. Where does the other $42 million come in?

The new station is estimated to cost $50 million which the developer would pay for. The city would buy additional train cars at about ~$4 million each.

21 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Sounds like a winner to me, though I don't live in the area.

It must be those silver-plated rails, Tokyo Subway-style chaffeurs that shove people into the cars & giving lacquer finishes to the inside of the station along with that fine imported Swedish granite used to make the Suncor tower...

Yeah... they should make these costs a little more transparent. ? 

Unless its a third rail & Midtown will become our equivalent of Edmontons Heath Sciences/Jubilee with built-in terminus area for a short-run Midtown to Downtown train - or Midtown to Brentwood?), I don't know what else will cost the LRT station so much money. Even the rail relocation cost for a few hundred metres can't be THAT high... same with contract train/bus service. At 50 million, thats got to be an extreme amount of extra contracted service... train costs and new bus costs too, that's practically 30-40 buses right there. They must be expecting to turn the neighborhood into Hong Kong-level density, with that much being thrown onto public transit from a private developer, no less...

14 hours ago, lucx said:

The new station is estimated to cost $50 million which the developer would pay for. The city would buy additional train cars at about ~$4 million each.

Question is: would the extra train cars be for strictly service expansion? Or to replace the remainder of the U2's instead? 

It honestly wouldn't take that much to blow through $50 million for this - especially when having to build a full bridge between the two sides of the tracks, and high enough to get over CP Rail.  Studies, engineering, functional planning, traction power design, signals design, a new substation, all new/upgraded signals (conduit, wiring, software, controllers, physical equipment), communications equipment, realignment of tracks, OCS parts and installation, new special trackwork/crossovers, switch machines, etc. - then there's the costs to actually build a station and bus terminal with all the materials and equipment that come with that.  And you have to pay Transit for all the replacement service needed to run when the tracks are closed.  And buy some new LRVs.

Won't take much.

10 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

???????????????? You might want to research the proper name. 

My apologies. Its been fixed. Might've accidentally combined Calgary and Winnipeg there for a sec, my bad. Joys of insomnia & lack of sleep...

But yes - would the developer be teaming up with CT to make a station capable of short-lining LRT routes from Midtown to Downtown & beyond? Or strictly infill? Because come to think of it, with the crushloads at Chinook & future development along MacLeod Trail... would it be of benefit to add a 3rd platform, so a short version of the Red Line could use Midtown as a terminus, and then operate between there and lets say... Downtown West/Kirby, or Brentwood, to alleviate future pressure on the LRT lines?

Or would it just be easier to jam as much LRV's onto the current LRT network instead, that may boost frequency but within 20-30 years - there would've been a missed opportunity to short-line Red and alleviate overcrowding between Chinook (future Midtown) and the Downtown core, with the addition of the 3rd platform that could've been done in 2020 dollars before inflation goes skyhigh? Just an idea. Figured we should all have this discussion going, if the Red Line is about to undergo drastic changes with massive TOD developments & if CT doesn't want to have to rebuild the express bus system of yesteryears (or spend more money to "refurb" one into Midtown in the future), to alleviate a future problem that could be averted by the construction of a 3rd platform at Midtown for future LRT service. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I'm on a U2 consist! 2070 at the front, 2047 second, didn't see the other two numbers. Took me a few seconds to decipher what it was coming at us it's been so long! ?

Edit: 2070, 2047, 2030, 2013.

Took long enough... I might be heading to the SW this afternoon too, so maybe I'll finally get to see one active for the first time in months today as well

The original 202 line was also built with “staggered station loading” So the trains could be evenly loaded. 

Example...

Whitehorn - trailing car loading first 

Rundle - lead car loading first

Marlborough - trailing car loading first

ect.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LRT said:

The original 202 line was also built with “staggered station loading” So the trains could be evenly loaded. 

Example...

Whitehorn - trailing car loading first 

Rundle - lead car loading first

Marlborough - trailing car loading first

ect.... 

I notice this even today, with Tuscany and Crowfoot!

As you come down the stairs at Tuscany, you naturally gravitate towards the "front" half of the train as it faces downtown.

But at Crowfoot it's easier to load the "back".

Then it reverses again at Dalhousie.

Then it... doesn't at Brentwood haha

University onwards is pretty evenly distributed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Everytime I see Brentwood, I automatically think of Polo Park or Portage Place back home...

With nearby Market Mall also being a Cadillac Fairview property, and considering Polo and Portage being built (or Polo's 2nd floor) being built in approximately the same era as the initial NW LRT expansion (mid to late 1980s), I wonder if it's the same architect responsible for Winnipegs CF malls? 

Last picture is NOT mine, just borrowed off a quick Google search, if anyones wondering. Needed the Polo Park architectural reference, and David's pic was the closest I could find. For anyone familiar with Winnipeg, the resemblance between Polo Park/Portage Place and Brentwood stations design is almost scary.

Portage_Place_mall_on_Portage_Avenue_in_Winnipeg,_Manitoba.jpeg

winnipeg-mci313.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Is it just me or are 4-car trains becoming less common these days?

No it not you.

My afternoon piece used to be a 4 car now it’s a 3 car. 

not sure why.... other operators are bitching because they have 3 cars now...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LRT said:

No it not you.

My afternoon piece used to be a 4 car now it’s a 3 car. 

not sure why.... other operators are bitching because they have 3 cars now...

Well as COVID numbers have climbed I did notice a drop in density on the morning and evening commutes.

Then the trains were suddenly 3 cars and oh hey, there's that density again!

2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Well as COVID numbers have climbed I did notice a drop in density on the morning and evening commutes.

Then the trains were suddenly 3 cars and oh hey, there's that density again!

I’ve been going into downtown since October and the amount of people going in and out has significantly decreased.

2 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I went back to the beginning of this thread for a bit of past blastiness tonight. To my dismay, all but one of the linked images and videos of the Ctrain simulator no longer work.

1: Any media that exists on this thing?

2: How do I get an hour to play with it? ?

Which one would you like to play with? The series 8 simulator or the 9? ?

17 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I’ve been going into downtown since October and the amount of people going in and out has significantly decreased.

The SE expresses I've been able to observe as well, barely any riders lately. Christmas shopping is keeping some ridership at a basic level (from what I've seen around Anderson, Chinook and Downtown the other weekend), but that will only last until Christmas - if Kenney and Henshaw don't decide to completely obliterate whats left of the Alberta economy within the next 30 days, that is. In which case (the lockdown), kiss that ridership goodbye. 

8 hours ago, armorand said:

if Kenney and Henshaw don't decide to completely obliterate whats left of the Alberta economy within the next 30 days, that is. In which case (the lockdown), kiss that ridership goodbye. 

If 1 in 100 people have COVID, people won't be going out and stimulating the economy, never mind riding the bus. Ridership also suffers if bus drivers are forced to isolate. Please tone down the politically charged language.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm at Anderson and due to a car on the tracks earlier the next train to arrive will be about 30 minutes late. Even though theres a train 2 minutes behind that one, the first one didn't get short turned. How does a train recover from a 30 minutes delay if it never gets short turned?