2012 Novabus LFS #'s 8181-8200

BCT-3122-D800-10240

The issue with the 4 ways coming on when kneeled has not been rectified. I drove one tonight. The message communicated during LRT training was they are aware but nothing can be done.

Okay. But with all of today's technology, You would think that this would be an easy fix like a computer chip swap... But I guess I am wrong, huh!?

Which is why all the new novas are not supposed to be assigned to routes that service 7 avenue, as our rulebook prohibits use of four ways on the avenue. Diesel was unable to find a fix for the issue, as per spring gardens foreman at "transit talk"

Just curious, why are four way flashers/hazard lights prohibited on 7th Ave?

Just curious, why are four way flashers/hazard lights prohibited on 7th Ave?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong or add more details.

When there are several buses at the same bus stop, the buses in front of the last bus having their four way flashers on can confuse C-Trains traveling in the same direction. As in the C-Train operator may be led to believe that the bus is going to pull out in front of the train, creating a dangerous situation. The C-Train operator cannot see the right side of the bus if there is another bus parked behind it, so 4 way flashers in this instance may be confused for a left turn signal.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong or add more details.

When there are several buses at the same bus stop, the buses in front of the last bus having their four way flashers on can confuse C-Trains traveling in the same direction. As in the C-Train operator may be led to believe that the bus is going to pull out in front of the train, creating a dangerous situation. The C-Train operator cannot see the right side of the bus if there is another bus parked behind it, so 4 way flashers in this instance may be confused for a left turn signal.

Yep thats it. Trains have the right of way on 7th ave, so a bus pulling out has to wait for the train to pass before signalling. As Kevin says if you have a bus behind you with your four ways on then it looks like you are signalling to pull out and may not have seen the train at all.

There are a whole lot of rules for 7th avenue operation, its a full day of training.

Also when a bus pulls in front of a train while occupying the same block, it makes it tough to see what's in front of the bus (ie another train) As train operators we are trained to look for the next trains pantagraphs to see if there is a train in the next block as the pantagraphs sit higher then the roof line of the buses so this helps in case buses block our view. Also, buses can stop quicker then trains so we try to keep our distances.

If I or other operators get cut off by a bus on 7th Ave usually a nice blast of the horn & call to rail control with a route and bus number will usually remind them about the rules of 7th Ave driving. So to the bus drivers on this board keep your head up on the Avenue!

Also when a bus pulls in front of a train while occupying the same block, it makes it tough to see what's in front of the bus (ie another train) As train operators we are trained to look for the next trains pantagraphs to see if there is a train in the next block as the pantagraphs sit higher then the roof line of the buses so this helps in case buses block our view. Also, buses can stop quicker then trains so we try to keep our distances.

If I or other operators get cut off by a bus on 7th Ave usually a nice blast of the horn & call to rail control with a route and bus number will usually remind them about the rules of 7th Ave driving. So to the bus drivers on this board keep your head up on the Avenue!

Hear that call many times. The other night the bus pulled out infront of the train and then stopped to pick someone up!!! Should have heard bus control on that one!

But seriously I don't understand why they cant find a fix for these buses. Surely it cant be that hard to stop it.

That's brings up something interesting. Look how the 4 way flashers work on the "Winnipeger's - bus #'s 7963-7980, When they are turned on, only the front and rear flashers are flashing. The side turn signals over the wheel wells do not flash. So if the rest of the fleet was set up like this, that could help solve this problem as the train operator would be able to see whether it's a left turn signal or 4 way flashers that are flashing on the particular bus he/she is looking at while approaching.

That's brings up something interesting. Look how the 4 way flashers work on the "Winnipeger's - bus #'s 7963-7980, When they are turned on, only the front and rear flashers are flashing. The side turn signals over the wheel wells do not flash. So if the rest of the fleet was set up like this, that could help solve this problem as the train operator would be able to see whether it's a left turn signal or 4 way flashers that are flashing on the particular bus he/she is looking at while approaching.

To be honest, I don't think I would notice that. I would be in braking by then (and horn to follow)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

STOP USING CAPS LOCK! Because its dead We remeber it was a Treat for me leaving Alberta

....Excuse me? What exactly is this? I can't even understand what you are even saying to yourself. It's bad enough if you make pointless posts and topics, but this is just......I don't know.

• 2 years later...

At least he is smiling! Several people tried to take my pic yesterday so I pulled the blind down, made it hard to drive! :P

But seriously it looks like they kept the same bus on the same key today as they did yesterday.

• Like 1