Winnipeg and Artic Buses

WpgBusDriver

• 4 months later...

I am told that the D60LF's have started arriving at NewFlyer in Winnipeg. There are around three or four units already in Winnipeg. They come one at a time from NewFlyer's Arnprior facility, about one per week or so. The rehabilitation process involves work at New Flyer's Arnprior facility, then further work at New Flyer in Winnipeg. The final preparation will be done at Winnipeg Transit (install fareboxes, apply decals, etc...). It's still not expected that any will enter service for Winnipeg Transit before 2014. Transit is now thinking that perhaps none of the D60LF's will be given the rt wrap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rumour is the 20 articulated buses will be numbered in the 1000 series. Probably 1001-1020, (or maybe 1000-1019).

It's been more than 60 years since a transit bus has been numbered higher than 1000 -- the trolley coaches had even numbers from 1500 up to 1826 (missing 1596 and 1598). Being confined to three digit fleet numbering has resulted in some numbers series being reused several times - for example, it will be the fourth use of the (odd) 800 numbers for the D40LFRs.

• 2 months later...

I spotted one of the ex-Ottawa and future Winnipeg D60LF's at the New Flyer plant last weekend. It was parked on the west side of the property near Kernaghan Avenue.

In addition to the rumours that the D60LF's won't get rt decals, or be used on the rt, is a story that they might only be used during weekday peak hours.

I gather that Winnipeg Transit is having an extended internal discussion about where and how best to use the D60LF's. There was a news article recently that all 20 might be on the road by Fall 2013, several months before their originally planned 2014 deployment.

I kind of hope the speed-up implies a healthier-than-expected growth in transit ridership...

I spotted one of the ex-Ottawa and future Winnipeg D60LF's at the New Flyer plant last weekend. It was parked on the west side of the property near Kernaghan Avenue.

In addition to the rumours that the D60LF's won't get rt decals, or be used on the rt, is a story that they might only be used during weekday peak hours.

I gather that Winnipeg Transit is having an extended internal discussion about where and how best to use the D60LF's. There was a news article recently that all 20 might be on the road by Fall 2013, several months before their originally planned 2014 deployment.

I kind of hope the speed-up implies a healthier-than-expected growth in transit ridership...

What livery did you see them in? Are they still plain white or still in OC colors?

I would have to agree with Transit's decision to not prioritize the rapid transit routes for the artics. I use rapid transit almost on a daily basis and even though sometimes it gets a little busy, none of the routes really get to the point of doing pass ups. From what I've seen, routes like the 11, 16, 18, 19, 36, 44, 55, 66, 75, 77 & 78 all get very busy during peak hours.

However, we can't just put artics on any route as infrastructure needs to be taken into consideration; along Corydon is a good example where I would see the artics having a hard time getting in and out of stops due to parked cars. If I recall, the city did some road construction this past fall on Pembina from Point Rd to Plaza Dr, where they were also modifying bus stop lengths to especially accommodate articulated buses.

Also wasn't it that the artics would run during peak hours?

"The City of Winnipeg purchased the 20 busses in 2012 from the City of Ottawa, spending $1.1 million"

lol 20 buses for only $1.1 million? so each unit is like slightly over $50K? they are "good deaL" eh~~

Ta Da!

P1040645.JPG

Photographed Sunday 03 March 2013 through the fence from Kernaghan Avenue.

If anybody is wondering what the Xcelsior in the background is, it is for Durham Region Transit and is in the "Pulse" paint scheme for the new BRT service starting in September. What an awful color of orange on the front !! :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...