2013 Articulated Hybrid Low-Floor Bus Order

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

Drivers are generally the WORST source of information, but Derek knows quite a few people higher up and has good solid information.

Chris Cassidy

Yes, he works with the management and dealing with the bus specs. before delivering the rest.

Talked to NFI rep. at OTE and it's going to be 25.

• 1 month later...

This is some of the detail of the New Flyer XDE60 quoted from Derek Cheung @ Transit-Vancouver

Coach R12001 will arrive in Vancouver on the week of 3 December. The

remaining 24 coaches R12002-R12025 will arrive by the middle of March 2013.

The paint scheme will be a modified version of the scheme currently on the

E60LFR, D60LFR and DE60LFR; because the side windows will be flush

"frameless" windows there will be no dark grey/black around the windows.

The coach will have air conditioning. The tops of the passenger windows

will have tip-in openings for emergency use only.

There will be a rear window, something which was missing from the DE60LFR

coaches.

The front roof hatch will be opaque (glare issues in the driver's area) but

the rear roof hatch will be the sunroof variety i.e. transparent glass.

The passenger seats will be the blue vinyl seats as on the Nova Hybrids and

the DE60LFR.

Coach R12001 will arrive in Vancouver on the week of 3 December. The

remaining 24 coaches R12002-R12025 will arrive by the middle of March 2013.

Woah... has TransLink run out of bus numbers series that fast already?

The paint scheme will be a modified version of the scheme currently on the

E60LFR, D60LFR and DE60LFR; because the side windows will be flush

"frameless" windows there will be no dark grey/black around the windows.

What does that exactly mean? Will there be still dark grey/black everywhere else? Because the paint scheme that was done on the NovaBuses is honestly cheap given that they neglected to completely fill the part between the yellow stripe and the windows with black paint.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but BC Transit/now CMBC will not duplicate coach numbers. So in that event there are not a lot of series that haven't been filled. I like the five digit system with the year, but it will take a while to get used to as a fan.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but BC Transit/now CMBC will not duplicate coach numbers. So in that event there are not a lot of series that haven't been filled. I like the five digit system with the year, but it will take a while to get used to as a fan.

Sounds right to me. Something about them having to keep maintenance records on file for X number of years?

Chris Cassidy

I'm fine with it, there are some odd transit companies are starting with "000X" which meaning it's a 2000 model but can get away without logging into the computer for records.

Pardon my ignorance, but after the arrival of these 25 XDE60s, will the '98 D60LFs be retired or will they continue to be in service for sometime?

Although it is possible, I'm not aware of any plans to get rid of the original D60LFs. But since the idea of giving Surrey artics has fallen through, the XDE60’s will probably push Richmond's D60LF's to Burnaby (perhaps some to PoCo) which could potentially result in having the '98's placed in storage (but I don't think they’ll be scrapped any time soon).

They could transfer them to Surrey anyway and use them to increase service on the 320, 502, and 321. I don't understand why they decided not to do that instead when the B-Line was cancelled.

I heard that STC is trying to convince Coast Mountain to resume training so that they can do exactly that; they stopped training before everyone had been orientated on the artics therefore that is not an option at the moment.

Well... the only reason the D60LFs might go out so early is if their heavy use on the most demanding of routes (aka stop and go with full load during rush hour, or highway cruising up a hill with a full load of students, etc) makes them more costly to maintain than even the oldest of the fleet as of current (that is, the 50 or so D40LFs from 1995).

It may be more likely that the D40LFs from 1995 will be retired instead... although I dunno if the entire fleet will go or only part of it... that may depend on whether TransLink feels like keeping the best of those guys around as spares given the fleet surplus at present, or if they feel that the capacity of the new XDE60s will be enough to offset the lost buses.

Well... the only reason the D60LFs might go out so early is if their heavy use on the most demanding of routes (aka stop and go with full load during rush hour, or highway cruising up a hill with a full load of students, etc) makes them more costly to maintain than even the oldest of the fleet as of current (that is, the 50 or so D40LFs from 1995).

It may be more likely that the D40LFs from 1995 will be retired instead... although I dunno if the entire fleet will go or only part of it... that may depend on whether TransLink feels like keeping the best of those guys around as spares given the fleet surplus at present, or if they feel that the capacity of the new XDE60s will be enough to offset the lost buses.

Speaking of new Xcelisor artics, I saw a finished XD?-60 artic at the lot in NFI Winnipeg. Related?

note: no livery, double-width doors

Better tell Translink Customer Service that then...

I've complained to Customer Relations at least several dozen times over the past three or four years. Me and my fellow passengers complaints are the reason there are artics on that route at all, but it's wholy inadequate, they're still only 1 out of every 3 or 4 on the route.

I've complained to Customer Relations at least several dozen times over the past three or four years. Me and my fellow passengers complaints are the reason there are artics on that route at all, but it's wholy inadequate, they're still only 1 out of every 3 or 4 on the route.

As a regular 49'er (during school hours), let me tell you that the ACTUAL reason there are artics on the 49 is because of interlines with the 480, which became available once the route was shortened to Bridgeport Station.

The 49 is busy (have been pushed against the windshield of a coach on more than one occasion traveling to/from Langara), but it isn't nearly as busy as it's counterparts on 41st or Broadway. While pass-ups were pretty much part of my daily ride on the 49, it does get a lot worse. Remember that.

• 1 month later...