2013 Articulated Hybrid Low-Floor Bus Order

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

Speaking of new Xcelisor artics, I saw a finished XD?-60 artic at the lot in NFI Winnipeg. Related?

note: no livery, double-width doors

Most likely the Xcelsior Demo I saw earlier this week too... I don't believe it's a Translink model. I think it's the one featured on New Flyer's website - the plain white one with black doors... except when I saw it this week, there were no roof rails, exposing that there are no battery units - just the standard HVAC.

Very interesting quote in the article from the Sun.

"Hybrid is not appropriate for West Van driving, because the hills would overtax the small diesel engine,"

lots of tough hills to climb in north van

lots of tough hills to climb in north van

I get that but I was surprised to learn that a hybrid would not be up for the hills. Apparently because the smaller diesel engine--even in combo with the batteries--is inadequate for the hills. I would have thought the torquey hybrid would master the hills.

I get that but I was surprised to learn that a hybrid would not be up for the hills. Apparently because the smaller diesel engine--even in combo with the batteries--is inadequate for the hills. I would have thought the torquey hybrid would master the hills.

Depends on how long that grade is. Once the batteries are depleted, the engine has to survive on its own. Uphill on a long continuous grade, the engine never gets a chance to replenish the battery reservoir. About the only solution is to pull over and stop for a few minutes mid-grade, or up the engine output by fueling system changes, or physically replacing the engine with a larger one. That sort of negates any advantage a hybrid has.

Having said all that, I haven't visited Vancouver in over 20 years, and really have no idea what these hills look like.

Over here in Ontario, Hamilton has a couple of long steady grades of at least mile in length, and the flyers with the Allison hybrid system ( both 40 footers and artics) seem to cope alright.

The XDE40 demo didnt do bad on the 15th street hill climb when it was here. But like bus medic said, the bus had a stop mid grade which helped the engine.

Thanks guys! I think I'm getting it. We are talking tough hills--serious long hills and no opportunity for regenerative braking in sight. And if the tranny is tuned for economy that could be part of it too.

Anyone know how long and how steep the longest climb is in West Vancouver?

Having said all that, I haven't visited Vancouver in over 20 years, and really have no idea what these hills look like.

Over here in Ontario, Hamilton has a couple of long steady grades of at least mile in length, and the flyers with the Allison hybrid system ( both 40 footers and artics) seem to cope alright.

Try riding the Burnaby mountains from the bottom of the hill to SFU! That was fun riding it as it going down!

• 3 months later...

It's been said that it's for RTC use.. .I'm not too sure about that though

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

The reason they are going to RTC is because they are the only depot with full time air conditioning mechanics. Surrey and Port Coquitlam are part timers. As far as I know.

- Bryan " Goggles "

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

The reason they are going to RTC is because they are the only depot with full time air conditioning mechanics. Surrey and Port Coquitlam are part timers. As far as I know.

- Bryan " Goggles "

I can see why, with the Orion Vs. Is the frameless windows why TL decided to drop the charcoal? Too much black?

• 2 weeks later...