Cleanliness and Upkeep of Subway Stations

rider

Last night I rode the subway for the first time in about three years, and I was really suprised and disappointed at the amount and prevalence of litter in the stations, and most disappointingly, on track level. Does anyone know why all the trash bins were removed, and when? And does anyone know if the TTC cleans the track level, the trough down the centre of the tracks, and the areas under the overhang of the platforms on a regular basis? I was thoroughly put off by the appearance of all this trash, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well. It really makes the system look squalid and unkept.

Last night I rode the subway for the first time in about three years, and I was really suprised and disappointed at the amount and prevalence of litter in the stations, and most disappointingly, on track level. Does anyone know why all the trash bins were removed, and when? And does anyone know if the TTC cleans the track level, the trough down the centre of the tracks, and the areas under the overhang of the platforms on a regular basis? I was thoroughly put off by the appearance of all this trash, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well. It really makes the system look squalid and unkept.

It's not that bad, I mean, it's a subway not a 5-star hotel. The Trash bins were removed because they could've been an easy place to hide bombs. (IIRC) The garbage on track level is cleaned up, I don't know how often though.

I just get frustrated when I see pics of other systems, and they seem to be much better kept than ours. I don't see why it's so unreasonable to expect clean, well-maintained stations. I know, I know, lack of funding...but really, in only three years I've seen a real decline, despite increased subsidy and ridership. So someone's not doing their job. I'd love for fellow forumers to take some pics and post them (and send them) to the Commission and demand they get their act together.

The Trash bins were removed because they could've been an easy place to hide bombs. (IIRC) The garbage on track level is cleaned up, I don't know how often though.

The Trash cans have not been removed, they've been replaced by new see-through ones, they are located on the platform at a couple stations (like St.George on the YUS line) but all the others have them on the mezzinie level. I've seen TTC personel on track level cleaning up the trash one Saturday morning.

Some of the falling cealing have been repaired and painted over in the past while. Dundas station and Queen station were in really bad shape. As well as several stations on the bloor line.

Islington was repaired recently also.

How about the mice and orange sludge?

The Orange sludge is nothing, I was talking about the ceiling. Also, I think the TTC is doing some structural work on the supporting slab at the South-East end of the mezzanine level due to water damage.

I tend to agree remebering we're dealing with the masses here, so cleanliness may not be a priority given the decay in the city as a whole overall. The track level is indeed dirty with an assortment of yuckiness, obviously in more areas than others, even the open cut sections should be kept cleaner, weeds, foliage cut back, heck even the batteries the TTC work crews simply discard. :) Question is can paper products, such as newspapers, etc,. ignite if they get caught up and come into contact the 3rd rail, sort of like instant combustion or only if a spark from a passing train? :huh:

I just get frustrated when I see pics of other systems, and they seem to be much better kept than ours. I don't see why it's so unreasonable to expect clean, well-maintained stations. I know, I know, lack of funding...but really, in only three years I've seen a real decline, despite increased subsidy and ridership. So someone's not doing their job. I'd love for fellow forumers to take some pics and post them (and send them) to the Commission and demand they get their act together.

Tell you what... go ride on NYC's subway system and let me know how the cleanliness of their system compares with ours.

Also remember that the Commission recently switched the cleaning schedules so that janitors during the day are responsible for at least 5 stations (except for stations like Yonge/Bloor) instead of the 2 to 3 that they were responsible for before.

I tend to agree remebering we're dealing with the masses here, so cleanliness may not be a priority given the decay in the city as a whole overall. The track level is indeed dirty with an assortment of yuckiness, obviously in more areas than others, even the open cut sections should be kept cleaner, weeds, foliage cut back, heck even the batteries the TTC work crews simply discard. :) Question is can paper products, such as newspapers, etc,. ignite if they get caught up and come into contact the 3rd rail, sort of like instant combustion or only if a spark from a passing train? :huh:

Supposedly yes, but I've never seen it happen and neither had anyone I worked with over the summer.

Tell you what... go ride on NYC's subway system and let me know how the cleanliness of their system compares with ours.

Also remember that the Commission recently switched the cleaning schedules so that janitors during the day are responsible for at least 5 stations (except for stations like Yonge/Bloor) instead of the 2 to 3 that they were responsible for before.

Supposedly yes, but I've never seen it happen and neither had anyone I worked with over the summer.

What about those fires that we had a couple years ago in the subway, the cause of ingnition was a wrapper that flew up onto the 3rd rail. (IIRC) I believe it happened at King and another one at an outdoor station.

59th Street Station (Columbus Circle) in New York City,

That was a result of the Garbage Train, but now the TTC is using white Garbarge Trucks to haul the trash away instead of using the train.

No it's not the Old Mill fire I'm talking about. It happened in 2004 and I remember the fires where 2 weeks apart from each other. One at King and another one at an outdoor station.

I'm still pissed that the garbage cans were taken away. People at my school put their garbage on the circle where the can used to be, making a "statement."

yeah, I found a mound of "crap" yesterday when I was getting off the train at Kipling, itfelt like papers and wrappers of some sort, and there was a can or something tinny sounding.

why dont they hire some disabled fro minumum wage to clean, a lot of us would appreciate earning some sort of pay.

Or

Hire some of the juvinile delinqents that hang out around downtown to clean, or some people that need to do community service due to probation.

Just a thought.

I'm still pissed that the garbage cans were taken away. People at my school put their garbage on the circle where the can used to be, making a "statement."

Same with the garbage cans at my school. Supposedly it's to prevent people from eating in the halls and "creating a fire hazard", but that's BS. (The garbage lying around the halls are more of a fire hazard than people sitting in a hall)

Keeping the system clean should be more of a priority. It may not be a 5-star hotel, but it is a first impression to any tourists or recent immigrants to the city. If the subway is dirty, then why not the rest of the city? (Which it isn't, most of it anyway)

yeah, I found a mound of "crap" yesterday when I was getting off the train at Kipling, itfelt like papers and wrappers of some sort, and there was a can or something tinny sounding.

why dont they hire some disabled fro minumum wage to clean, a lot of us would appreciate earning some sort of pay.

Or

Hire some of the juvinile delinqents that hang out around downtown to clean, or some people that need to do community service due to probation.

Just a thought.

What do you think the existing janitors are there for?

Besides, TTC won't hire any more janitors; as I've seen on the inside, about 100 people spread over three different shifts is not enough to actually be able to keep up with keeping the stations garbage free + mopping spills + cleaning public and staff washrooms + all the other stuff they're responsible for. Yet the TTC believes that 100 is more than enough.

btw, for those interested.. there's 68 or so stations, and the day and afternoon shifts have ~ 20 janitors to manage these. Now, the terminals have a dedicated janitor to them (except Don Mills), so take out 5 people there. Yonge/Bloor has a dedicated person, so take out another. St. George/Spadina has a dedicated person between them, so take out yet another. That leaves 13 janitors to combat the remaining 60 or stations... which works out to roughly 4-5 stations each for the remaining janitors. And while many of those stations are small, you'd be surprised just how much work you still have to put into them to make them look only decent.

Lets put it this way... I worked my ass off this summer and still wasn't able to keep up with the cleaning schedules in many stations, especially the downtown ones.

Edited By K.Lo

All of those "fire" incedents had nothing to do with trash. I'm about 99% certain that every single one of them was the result of the third rail cover (which is made of wood) contacting the third rail, creating a short and attempting to catch fire. In each case I heard about, someone was able to get to it in time before it actually caught fire, although as a precaution service was stopped to make sure that he cover was removed and replaced safely.

Dan

I don't like the placement of the Recycling/Garbage bags right at the top of the stairs or escalators from the track level. While it may be sensible to try to make it most convenient for the rider who is properly taking their newspapers or whatever with them as they leave the train the problem is that one has to stop and determine which bin their article goes in while there are thirty people directly behind them who just came off the same train interrupting traffic flow. Also if one has waste that they are finished with before their train comes in they are forced to bring it on the train to dispose of at the mezzanine or bus level of their destination station increasing the chances that it will be left on the platform or on the train. Since these are clear see-through plastic bags so items can not be hid why can't they be at the track level if the security issue has been addressed?

• 4 weeks later...

seems we have a couple threads along the same line (TTC filth).

until i read this thread, i never really noticed that there are no garbage pails on the platform level (minus say those at eglinton west which are a part of the structure). i do think that the new 3 bin recycling units are great and it's good to see that people are finally using them properly.

before we point blame on the janitorial staff or the TTC as a whole, we should first look at lazy commuters. it's unfortunate, but there are still people that think the best way to dispose of something is to drop it or launch onto track level. these people are the problem. i personally will hold on to any refuse i have in my bag until i can either recycle it or if it doesn't fit that category, throw it out in a bin.

like i mentioned in the other thread like this, track level debris often stands out because it builds up at points either due to the flow of the drain or by wind. naturally your eyes go to focal points like this and not a view of the entire platform area.

would you want to pick up trash for a living? i doubt it. yes, staff are paid to do this, but their first priority i would think would be stair cases for safety reasons and keeping the traffic flow areas clear and clean. they do a good job at keeping graffiti off the walls. i saw a man doing this task a couple weeks ago and it didn't look like fun.