TTC Service Changes

Mike

44 minutes ago, Genius101 said:

So back to old handmedowns on Kipling Ave north of the station 

It was a Hand-me-down for Mount Dennis. 

This move is more operationally efficient.

by your logic , Queensway had a new route in 189, and I don't recall you celebrating.

3 hours ago, Genius101 said:

So back to old handmedowns on Kipling Ave north of the station 

2 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

It was a Hand-me-down for Mount Dennis. 

This move is more operationally efficient.

by your logic , Queensway had a new route in 189, and I don't recall you celebrating.

Perhaps the 30 HIGH PARK NORTH and the 189 STOCKYARDS as well as the 66 PRINCE EDWARD should move along to Mount Dennis? The residents in the apartments near High Park station will be relived of the ISL noise in favor of the XDE40s and Proterras on those routes.

30 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Perhaps the 30 HIGH PARK NORTH and the 189 STOCKYARDS as well as the 66 PRINCE EDWARD should move along to Mount Dennis? The residents in the apartments near High Park station will be relived of the ISL noise in favor of the XDE40s and Proterras on those routes.

I doubt 66 will move. 

I believe 30/189 could move as well. I'll try to get more info. But I'm sure someone will get it before me. 

• Like 1

It would be cool to see some NG diesels on the 45/945. Got enough of the XDE40 shots on them. Not having another MtD route besides the not so frequent 32A isn’t ideal for fanning. 

Once the crosstown opens , I bet there will be a big shuttle anyways. Maybe MtD can take the 52 back. Arrow could take 45 or 37 in return.

3 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Yeah I'm guessing routes 55 and 77 are moving back to Mount Dennis because of how the NIMBYs in those residential neighbourhoods have been complaining about the diesel buses for a few years now. Queensway has 100% diesel buses and Mount Dennis has 80% hybrid and electric buses combined so I think that makes sense given that they are obviously more quieter. I also think it makes more sense to have the 30 and 189 at Mount Dennis too.

13 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

So I got word that for the May 12 board period, Queensway will get 45 Kipling and Mount Dennis will receive 26 Dupont, 77 Swansea, 127 Davenport, and 55 Warren Park. 

So not next board , but the May 12 board after that. Or September board. 

It didn't make sense to have the 45/945 Kipling at Mount Dennis and the 127 Davenport at Queensway since they are both far from their respective divisions. I've longed this for a while and it will be great to see some OG diesels on Kipling, should they still be around by May as well as OG hybrids, XDE40s and Proterras on Davenport too.

12 minutes ago, covidhippo123 said:

Yeah I'm guessing routes 55 and 77 are moving back to Mount Dennis because of how the NIMBYs in those residential neighbourhoods have been complaining about the diesel buses for a few years now. Queensway has 100% diesel buses and Mount Dennis has 80% hybrid and electric buses combined so I think that makes sense given that they are obviously more quieter. I also think it makes more sense to have the 30 and 189 at Mount Dennis too.

From what i have heard, the main reason these changes are being considered is to reduce travel time for operators going to the relief points, as well as reducing deadheading time. 

23 minutes ago, covidhippo123 said:

It didn't make sense to have the 45/945 Kipling at Mount Dennis and the 127 Davenport at Queensway since they are both far from their respective divisions. I've longed this for a while and it will be great to see some OG diesels on Kipling, should they still be around by May as well as OG hybrids, XDE40s and Proterras on Davenport too.

How did people even cope with Fishbowls back then. People are too spoiled and entitled these days. 

The 127 only has 3 runs max and isn't a big factor. Think of those days when Queensway was doing the 52. The relief point was at Kipling/Westway. Arrow to the current 52 relief point (Ralph/Lawrence) is pretty far too. 52 gotta go back to MtD. Then there is the 89 too. Once the 32 is freed up, there will be room. 

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

How did people even cope with Fishbowls back then. People are too spoiled and entitled these days. 

The 127 only has 3 runs max and isn't a big factor. Think of those days when Queensway was doing the 52. The relief point was at Kipling/Westway. Arrow to the current 52 relief point (Ralph/Lawrence) is pretty far too. 52 gotta go back to MtD. Then there is the 89 too. Once the 32 is freed up, there will be room. 

The Fishbowl was louder than the 7900 VIIs?

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

This is a good question.

I would say the two strokes are louder. I hear them from a longer distance for sure. 

I found the flyers loudest.

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

They were loud and they stunk. And the ones with two-speed transmissions (up to 1975) probably wouldn't get out of first gear going up hills on a route like 77 SWANSEA (née 78 RUNNYMEDE SOUTH, née 71 RUNNYMEDE).

More temporary changes to the Lawrence West corridor: https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/Updates/Lawrence-West-Station-partial-bus-bay-closure

124 Sunnybrook will temporary discontinue. 11C Bayview will extend to replace the current 124 to Roe Loop.

52F Lawrence West temporary discontinue.

52G Lawrence West will extend to Sunnybrook restoring Lawrence to Lawrence West service. This is the same routing as the 52G LAWRENCE (not LAWRENCE WEST) branch in 1969-1973. 

59 MAPLE LEAF will divert to Eglinton West Station via Dufferin/Glencarin/Marlee. 

---

Seems like they successfully relayed this new to Sunnybrooke with a map: https://sunnybrook.ca/media/item.asp?c=1&i=3688

Pape Station OL construction: https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/Updates/Pape-Station-construction

Pape Station bus terminal will close down for OL construction  (if you're not aware, surprise!). Seems like people really didn't like the Donlands diversion idea... 

Next board, all routes will play musical chairs and shift around the terminal with 25/925 shifting onto the side street beside the Tim Hortons and the 81 shifting in front of the station on street. 

In May, 72B Pape and 81 Throncliffe Park will be suspended. 72A/C will extend to replace the 81. 25/925 Don Mills (Express) will divert to Broadview Station via O'Connor/Broadview.

A new 114 Queens Quay East route will replace the Queens Quay portion of 72B. 

To make space, the 8 Broadview and 62 Mortimer will extend south to Gerrard looping via Hennick Bridgepoint Hospital. (The same routing when Broadview terminal was closed last year)

7 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Next board, all routes will play musical chairs and shift a bay bay around the terminal with the 81 shifting in front of the station on street. 

Slightly incorrect based on my reading of the page, but given the complexity of the changes it's understandable...

Next board period, the 25/925 and 81 will stop outside the station on Lipton Avenue. Only the 72 will continue to pick up inside the station (at "Platform 2", the west half of the current double-length 25/925 platform). "Platform 1", or the 72's current platform, will be used as drop-offs for all routes, so at least a connection inside the fare-paid area is maintained.

I can't wait to see the chaos at Pape Station (again) when all of the bus layover space both inside and out gets removed. Those spots on Lipton are usually used by 25/925 buses laying over, and schedules are usually padded enough that most buses on both routes get at least a full headway worth of layover.

Also, my favourite part of that webpage: Screenshot_20240311_144232_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.095d0290d28e7d8f31a5c9827d33ad32.jpg

Looks like nobody bothered to proofread the page before it got published.

12 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Slightly incorrect based on my reading of the page, but given the complexity of the changes it's understandable...

Next board period, the 25/925 and 81 will stop outside the station on Lipton Avenue. Only the 72 will continue to pick up inside the station (at "Platform 2", the west half of the current double-length 25/925 platform). "Platform 1", or the 72's current platform, will be used as drop-offs for all routes, so at least a connection inside the fare-paid area is maintained.

I can't wait to see the chaos at Pape Station (again) when all of the bus layover space both inside and out gets removed. Those spots on Lipton are usually used by 25/925 buses laying over, and schedules are usually padded enough that most buses on both routes get at least a full headway worth of layover.

Also, my favourite part of that webpage: Screenshot_20240311_144232_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.095d0290d28e7d8f31a5c9827d33ad32.jpg

Looks like nobody bothered to proofread the page before it got published.

Apparently I can’t read.

It says the 25/925 will be on Lipton Avenue where the Tim Hortons entrance is located but the 81 is on Pape Avenue where the 100 was boarding last summer.

There is a mistake. The 25/925 board from Bay 2 not 3.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:55 AM, FlyerD901 said:

So I got word that for the May 12 board period, Queensway will get 45 Kipling and Mount Dennis will receive 26 Dupont, 77 Swansea, 127 Davenport, and 55 Warren Park. 

So not next board , but the May 12 board after that. Or September board. 

The 30 High Park North and 189 Stockyards will move to Mount Dennis as well. 

4 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

The 30 High Park North and 189 Stockyards will move to Mount Dennis as well. 

Is 927 expected to go to Mount Dennis to switch to articulated buses this spring?  Or will that be on hold until fall...?

46 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

Is 927 expected to go to Mount Dennis to switch to articulated buses this spring?  Or will that be on hold until fall...?

Probably on hold until new articulated buses actually enter service.

Additionally, 927 may need to wait until Line 6 opens, which would free up the artics currently in use on route 36.

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

26+55,30+189,77,127 adds up to 12/13 peak buses. 45/945 needs 19/20 peak buses. I guess more routes could move.

Remember the 71 moved to MtD last fall with no return, and it requires 6/7 buses at peak. That about evens it out. 

25 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Remember the 71 moved to MtD last fall with no return, and it requires 6/7 buses at peak. That about evens it out. 

Wasn't the 501B going to wrap up by the summer? Then again, MtD could take some streetcar runs to even it out.

----

Since they are proposing to split the 72B again and creating the 114 Queens Quay East this time. Last year, the proposed to split it to create the 519 with the interlining with 100 and nothing happened.  Any words if they will also operate the 202 Cherry Beach or just operate the 114 instead?

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Since they are proposing to split the 72B again and creating the 114 Queens Quay East this time. Last year, the proposed to split it to create the 519 with the interlining with 100 and nothing happened.  Any words if they will also operate the 202 Cherry Beach or just operate the 114 instead?

Assuming the 202 will still run, no indication that the 114 will serve Cherry Beach. Additionally, does anyone know where on Commissionors the 114 will terminate?

7 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

26+55,30+189,77,127 adds up to 12/13 peak buses. 45/945 needs 19/20 peak buses. I guess more routes could move.

Queensway had some rads as well. And obviously the current shuttles. 

TTC might surprise us, and have 45 split between Mount Dennis and Queensway. Similar to before mount Dennis opened , but with Arrow 

24 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

Queensway had some rads as well. And obviously the current shuttles. 

TTC might surprise us, and have 45 split between Mount Dennis and Queensway. Similar to before mount Dennis opened , but with Arrow 

All periods eh. Even the 945? Perhaps Arrow Road and Queensway could share the 37/937/337 in all periods. Hell Queensway could take over the 52G LAWRENCE WEST via Westway while Arrow keeps the 52/952 via Dixon. Each garage is required to balance the fleet IIRC.

Because New Eglinton is too busy with the streetcar shuttles, why not move the 954 and some or half of the 54 runs to Malvern as it was before 2008? Malvern has some extra buses that they can use. I wouldn't be surprised if Birchmount and McNicoll share the 24/924/324 together. The same for Birchmount and Malvern for the 102/902 if Birchmount is willingly to install the WiFi on the 8400s.

There are also plenty of fish that should get a treatment for one route, two divisions concept:

- 24 VICTORIA PARK: Birchmount/McNicoll
- 35 JANE: Arrow Road/Mount Dennis
- 37 ISLINGTON: Arrow Road/Queensway
- 45 KIPLING: Mount Dennis/Queensway
- 52 LAWRENCE WEST: Arrow Road (Dixon)/Queensway (Westway)
- 54 LAWRENCE EAST: Eglinton/Malvern
- 60 STEELES WEST: Arrow Road/Wilson
- 102 MARKHAM ROAD: Birchmount/Malvern

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Assuming the 202 will still run, no indication that the 114 will serve Cherry Beach. Additionally, does anyone know where on Commissionors the 114 will terminate?

The last time they split the 72, the 172 ran all the way to Carlaw after a bunch of complains that it terminated at Cherry/Commissioners. Let's see if they remembered.

The 202 is supposed to visit the Distillery District but couldn't do so last year. This year, that is a valid option.

---

1 hour ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

All periods eh. Even the 945? Perhaps Arrow Road and Queensway could share the 37/937/337 in all periods. Hell Queensway could take over the 52G LAWRENCE WEST via Westway while Arrow keeps the 52/952 via Dixon. Each garage is required to balance the fleet IIRC.

Because New Eglinton is too busy with the streetcar shuttles, why not move the 954 and some or half of the 54 runs to Malvern as it was before 2008? Malvern has some extra buses that they can use. I wouldn't be surprised if Birchmount and McNicoll share the 24/924/324 together. The same for Birchmount and Malvern for the 102/902 if Birchmount is willingly to install the WiFi on the 8400s.

There are also plenty of fish that should get a treatment for one route, two divisions concept:

- 24 VICTORIA PARK: Birchmount/McNicoll
- 35 JANE: Arrow Road/Mount Dennis
- 37 ISLINGTON: Arrow Road/Queensway
- 45 KIPLING: Mount Dennis/Queensway
- 52 LAWRENCE WEST: Arrow Road (Dixon)/Queensway (Westway)
- 54 LAWRENCE EAST: Eglinton/Malvern
- 60 STEELES WEST: Arrow Road/Wilson
- 102 MARKHAM ROAD: Birchmount/Malvern

You know that is a pipe dream. TTC hasn't done so since 2008 except with a handful of peak runs. It's a scheduling headache to ensure operators get back on their division equipment. You don't want a Malvern op stuck on a XE40 while Bmount op gets a Nova HEV on the 102. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1