MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

These buses won't be in until 2012 (except for two demos in spring 2012).

No, the 2 demos are due in April 2011 on the document and expected arrives around December 2011 to April 2012 for the base order.

(page 51, http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100726_1045_BUS.pdf)

Finally, some variety. I'm very surprised that Orion didn't win this one.

Orion didnt low bid. New Flyer did. MTA always chooses low bidders even with shoddy work.

No, the 2 demos are due in April 2011 on the document and expected arrives around December 2011 to April 2012 for the base order.

(page 51, http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100726_1045_BUS.pdf)

Orion didnt low bid. New Flyer did. MTA always chooses low bidders even with shoddy work.

I bet you that they will have frameless windows. I think frameless windows on the LFR buses look great and would look great in the MTA scheme. Plus most of their buses have frameless windows anyway so I think they will be consistent

I bet you that they will have frameless windows.

I'd expect them to have normal windows given that the MTA tends usually to go with the cheapest options possible. For this same reason, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be non-restyled C40LFs rather than C40LFRs!

Plus most of their buses have frameless windows anyway so I think they will be consistent

The only MTA buses with bonded windows are the Orion VII NGs (952 buses) and the DesignLines (5 buses), which is approximately one-sixth (16%) of the total MTA bus fleet.

I'd expect them to have normal windows given that the MTA tends usually to go with the cheapest options possible. For this same reason, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be non-restyled C40LFs rather than C40LFRs!

If MTA and NFI gives a talk to talk deal that they will continue to build the old ends for special request.

Thanks for the answers to all my questions everybody :o My trip is gonna be awesome.

I have one more question, that's been bugging me for a while. In Toronto, across from each subway car's cab is a second set of conductor controls for Island platforms. But looking at Youtube videos, I've noticed the R32s do not have such features - rather they have the conductor in the "B" cab. My question is:

Let's say an R32 train is at a side platform station, but the cab is facing the other side. How is the conductor able to monitor activity on the platform and know when to close the doors when there are no conductor controls across from the cab? :unsure: Thanks!

Thanks for the answers to all my questions everybody :o My trip is gonna be awesome.

I have one more question, that's been bugging me for a while. In Toronto, across from each subway car's cab is a second set of conductor controls for Island platforms. But looking at Youtube videos, I've noticed the R32s do not have such features - rather they have the conductor in the "B" cab. My question is:

Let's say an R32 train is at a side platform station, but the cab is facing the other side. How is the conductor able to monitor activity on the platform and know when to close the doors when there are no conductor controls across from the cab? :unsure: Thanks!

The conductor simply uses the cab in the adjacent car to operate the doors in a situation such as this.

Oh, so they go back to used LF since everyone knows that standard buses are equipped with the restyled ends. But for us (busfan), we still refer it to LFR.

It may well be an LF though (old-style); it remains to be seen. If it is, then drivers at Gleason will not even need new training (except for perhaps the new driver's side mirror setup).

• 3 months later...
Someone on that board mentions they customize them to fit the full width destination signs - I'm not so sure we would see that on the X3-45, it would probably be the same as the demo.

Depends on what the contract is with MTA. from the sounds of it , it looks like Volvo (Prevost/Nova) really want to get the next few years order from MTA since Orion and New Flyer are really stepping up trying to get MTA's business for the big orders for the next few years after the test orders go through next year.

Looks like Prevost won that contract after MTA ordered many MCI D4500 over the past 10 years and now wanted to test other new bus models to join the fleet

It looks like its part of the test order, 90 Prevosts, 90 LFS, 90 D40LR's and 90 VII EPA 2010's, along with the current order of 90 Designlines and 90 Nova Artics. Also with the 475 C40LFR's,and anothor order of Nova Artics that will be coming . who ever gets the next big order these test units will remain with MTA for 12-16 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The MTA is getting some Orion 7 Next Gens with framed windows. Curious: do any other operators have O7 NGs with framed windows? Two pictures are attached; the second one also is of the latest MTA livery, deleting the stripe from the front nose (that bus was not in an accident).

1800.jpg

1803.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin
I have to wonder if this is a prelude to allowing sliding windows as an option on future orders.

Engineering decided that these windows (can't remember the company name again... Ryan?!) are more reliable and prevent water leaking , unlike the original "squared" ones which were a different company. As of this point, this is an option for exterior frame or not. The same type of windows are being installed on Seattle's KCM order of Orion VIIs.

The MTA is getting some Orion 7 Next Gens with framed windows. Curious: do any other operators have O7 NGs with framed windows? Two pictures are attached; the second one also is of the latest MTA livery, deleting the stripe from the front nose (that bus was not in an accident).

From those pictures there, they look slightly different than the 2008-2009 models as they have framed windows instead of one piece frameless windows.