Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

3 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Perhaps ridership in Richmond West/Fort Richmond was too low to warrant a 60-foot bus on the 662. Even the 162 didn't get 60-foot buses, and it had a tendency to get pretty damn full. I cannot imagine 662 ridership being as high as the 162, with the BLUE replacing the service on South Pembina.

I don’t see why Route 662 ridership wouldn’t be high enough to warrant artics seeing as the 72 got them almost exclusively. The main reason the 162 and 170 didn’t get 60-footers is because the landing pads in St. Norbert can’t support them. Seeing as the 91 still gets mostly D30LFs even though the DART service no longer exists, my guess is the ridership phenomenon you mentioned is why they didn’t lengthen those landing pads. Slightly unrelated, I wonder if there’s any plan to replace the D30LFs with anything. They’re approaching, if not past, retirement age but there’s still a need for smaller buses on the three remaining DARTs and some feeders (82 and 98 come to mind) are able to survive with them even at rush hour.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew710 said:

The wiki says that some of the 500s are already gone. The Calgary buses serve their purpose and work well on express routes, given how fast those buses are, and I would like to see the D60LFs stay around for a while longer, because now that Phase 2’s open and has a near-monopoly on the XD60s, we don’t have enough artics.

Agree with this. I would also hope that when more do come in, we start to see them on more routes, rather than just the 60 and the BLUE line. The 36 should absolutely get them back if things return to normal in time for the start of the school year. In terms of routes that don’t currently get them, 11, 18, 21, 22 and 33 need them and 14, 24 and 55 could benefit from having them as well.

They don’t like to put them in the 21,22,24  the 18 would need the pads installed 

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

The main reason the 162 and 170 didn’t get 60-footers is because the landing pads in St. Norbert can’t support them.

I thought it was because of Balmoral Station. Of course, the 162/170 could've been moved onto the street (instead of under the roof) I suppose. If we go by your logic, no buses would be supported at 62018 (Eastbound Parker at Beaumont), because there is no platform, sidewalk, or anything at all, not on the side of Parker where the stop is located anyways.

Just now, Isaac Williams said:

I thought it was because of Balmoral Station. Of course, the 162/170 could've been moved onto the street (instead of under the roof) I suppose. If we go by your logic, no buses would be supported at 62018 (Eastbound Parker at Beaumont), because there is no platform, sidewalk, or anything at all, not on the side of the street where the stop is located anyways.

They need to fix Beaumont in general as the 29 has done lots of damage to the road. F7A7FDBA-FCB4-409B-985A-713F08E355D6.thumb.jpeg.519c521127f7a6fadf264ecb53ae122a.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

They don’t like to put them in the 21,22,24  the 18 would need the pads installed 

Putting them on those routes is something they should think of. The 21 especially has a tendency to fill to a crushload at U of W and at rush hour, you don’t know when the next one will show up.

12 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

I thought it was because of Balmoral Station. Of course, the 162/170 could've been moved onto the street (instead of under the roof) I suppose. If we go by your logic, no buses would be supported at 62018 (Eastbound Parker at Beaumont), because there is no platform, sidewalk, or anything at all, not on the side of Parker where the stop is located anyways.

It’s a similar story with the 98. Sidewalks are non-existent in most of Charleswood and so the stops themselves are buried in ditches. Every time I’ve taken that bus, it’s been to connect with another bus (usually the 79), to run an errand or for fun, so I myself have never used the stops on Eldridge or Rannock, but if you are to board there, I guess all you can do is hope the driver sees you down there.

2 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Why not? The 21 desperately needs them, and I imagine the 22 could probably use them too!

Based on my experience with that route, it could. Every Portage corridor route except 25 and 67 could use them on certain rush-hour runs.

7 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Why not? The 21 desperately needs them, and I imagine the 22 could probably use them too! Why shouldn't the busiest corridor get the biggest buses?

Agreed. Almost all of Portage Avenue east of Stuegeon Road too, is nothing but pavement... if Calgary can run D60LFR's through suburbia like its nothing, then why can't Winnipeg slap some on one of the busiest and heaviest transit-oriented corridors in the entire city?!

Beginning Monday, express busses will observe all stops along routes. This effectively turns all 21s and 22s into 11s, and may slow down trips. This includes super express busses too.

All this comes as the economy was set to reopen. This is why transit should have reduced their schedule weeks ago. That would have allowed them budget space to be on a normal schedule come next week, however instead they bled money and now we will probably be on a reduced schedule for a week or two, even as demand will rise. "Now is not the time" for a reduced schedule. Three weeks ago was the time for this, however since people didn't realize the benefits then, we will now suffer the consequences.

Seeing as this is happening though, I would LOVE to see Transit properly advertise the DART busses. People will need to utilize them before noon each morning if taking the 16 to go to Plaza Drive or Island Lakes. Navigo does not at all account for their existence. Maybe if it did, ridership would be a bit better and the DART busses wouldn't be the first thing they consider cutting when doing "service rationalization" (aka putting a bandaid on a paper cut while running off a cliff).

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Beginning Monday, express busses will observe all stops along routes.

Hm, that's an odd decision. So, this means you can pick up a 36 at Southbound Pembina at Kelsey for example. That also basically turns the 46 into an old-47, the 25 will be identical to the 24 - might as well sign all 25's as 24's, and the 65 will have a lot of duplication with the 66. The website says Navigo and other schedules/timetables won't display that info, I wonder if the buses will. I can imagine someone on a 36 ringing to get off at Stafford Loop way in advance, but the driver stops at Manahan or whatever instead. Also, will the 36 enter the loop at Pembina/University Crescent?

11 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

The website says Navigo and other schedules/timetables won't display that info, I wonder if the buses will.

If you’re referring to the Luminators, as simple as punching, for example, 1101 instead of 2101 or 2201. If you’re referring to the next-stop display, I don’t know. Going off of TransitFeeds, it looks like they won’t.

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

If you’re referring to the Luminators, as simple as punching, for example, 1101 instead of 2101 or 2201. If you’re referring to the next-stop display, I don’t know. Going off of TransitFeeds, it looks like they won’t.

The next stop is run using the infodev and the run loaded into it so for example 21-2 does a 11 at night so it has all the stops that 21-2 does and the 11 it does after its hard to explain 

45 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

11 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

I wonder if the buses will. I can imagine someone on a 36 ringing to get off at Stafford Loop way in advance, but the driver stops at Manahan or whatever instead.

I was talking about the display/voice inside the bus.

10 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

The next stop is run using the infodev and the run loaded into it so for example 21-2 does a 11 at night so it has all the stops that 21-2 does and the 11 it does after its hard to explain 

I would assume that it has a list for every trip. So if you punch in 21-2, then it loads the list for the 21-2, and after finishing the last 21 trip, it loads the next item in the list, which is the 11 North Kildonan (Rothesay). Is that anywhere near correct?

Edited by Isaac Williams
Add 21-2 stuff at bottom.

4 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

I was talking about the display/voice inside the bus.

I would assume that it has a list for every trip. So if you punch in 21-2, then it loads the list for the 21-2, and after finishing the last 21 trip, it loads the next item in the list, which is the 11 North Kildonan (Rothesay). Is that anywhere near correct?

Control loads the runs I believe so when dispatch assigns a bus to that run control will load the run before the bus leaves the garage 

So, question to the bus operators here...

How was your job today? Lots of passengers or the same?

I was  on a 24 westbound at Portage and Donald  and there were only two other passengers aboard around 1 pm.

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

Don't think I have ever seen a 30-foot on the 41 or a 60-foot on the 30!

It would be really funny to see a 30-foot bus on BLUE, especially an orange one.

3 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

943 was on the 53/41

20200504_181401.thumb.jpg.12cacdacf7f0e49c3bc0ecdec0ce23d6.jpg

978 was on the 30/59

20200504_183023.thumb.jpg.83d642de189a0a9886dcc17d9f996109.jpg

Very weird to see a 53-# with a 41 trip. Usually 53 buses turn into 56 buses at downtown, and vice versa. But it looks like the current 53-3 does 53 Norwood > 53 Downtown, 41 North Kildonan.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder if they’re looking to determine which routes to dispatch a future order of artics onto.

Part of the reason the artics are everywhere is cause some runs do routes that usually get artics like the artic on the 30 it does a 59 after 

1 hour ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Part of the reason the artics are everywhere is cause some runs do routes that usually get artics like the artic on the 30 it does a 59 after 

That’s weird, seeing as almost all 30s come on and off the 34 normally. Though a lot of 59s (and 54s) came off the 60 and 161 previously, so no extra rush-hour 60s and the discontinuation of the 161 mean they have to pull those buses from somewhere else, I guess (why not the 35 and 36?).

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

That’s weird, seeing as almost all 30s come on and off the 34 normally. Though a lot of 59s (and 54s) came off the 60 and 161 previously, so no extra rush-hour 60s and the discontinuation of the 161 mean they have to pull those buses from somewhere else, I guess (why not the 35 and 36?).

The 34 gets artics on the regular spring schedule as it comes off an inbound blue bus but other wise I don’t think the 30,31,34 really need that much capacity