Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I wonder how much these kilometres and hours these cost... would Arbocs fix the issue? Only problem with that, is that the ATU would be threatening strikes (combined with everything else) - but if Calgary and Edmonton already do it, maybe Winnipeg Transit could take a page out & fill the gaps with Arbocs?

26 minutes ago, armorand said:

I wonder how much these kilometres and hours these cost... would Arbocs fix the issue? Only problem with that, is that the ATU would be threatening strikes (combined with everything else) - but if Calgary and Edmonton already do it, maybe Winnipeg Transit could take a page out & fill the gaps with Arbocs?

The arbocs are crap to begin with and I don’t the city would fund these 

43 minutes ago, armorand said:

16 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

The arbocs are crap to begin with and I don’t the city would fund these 

With the 1996 D30LFs past their time and almost gone anyway, the 2001 D30LFs also getting old (in fact, once 914, 921, 922 and the remaining 400s are gone, they will be the oldest first-hand buses in the fleet) and a need for small buses on the DARTs and some feeders, I wonder if buying Enviro200s would be an option, seeing as NFI now owns ADL.

Cutaways such as Arbocs generally have short lifespans, so three or four cutaways can do what one heavy duty 40ft transit bus can do (lifespan-wise). Additionally Winnipeg Transit drivers get the same wage rate for driving a cutaway as an XD60, so no savings there. There is a savings in fuel consumption, but there's an extra cost to maintaining multiple vehicle types (in parts and training). Winnipeg Transit seems to have decided that any savings from cutaways in regular service are too small to be worth the trouble.

• Thanks 1

The technology I'd like to see a pilot for small neighbourhood feeder routes is 12 to 16 seat driverless shuttles. At least a summertime trial. Imagine a fleet of electric driverless mini shuttles providing 10 minute frequency service between Aubrey loop and Arlington/Portage, connecting to the frequent eastbound and westbound Portage Avenue service.  Better transit service than a 10 Wolseley that runs half hourly.

It's not clear to me how close or far such technology is. There have been pilots here and there in Canada. I have questions about how navigation using cameras that follow the painted lines works after a snowfall, or how wheelchair passengers are served, and what about security for the passengers and the vehicle...

Lots of interesting questions about the technology, but it may solve the problem of difficult-to-serve low demand neighbourhoods. Feeders to the Blue Line maybe?

15 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Some more napkin math. Sorry for the double post so soon.

Route 85's full length is approximately 19.6 km. But it's so complicated that dragging and dropping so many turns eventually made Google Maps go woah there can't modify it any further.

10 runs to Whellams and 10 back to Kildonan Place on both Saturdays and Sundays for 20 total runs a day. 19.6 km x 20 runs = 392 km a day. 392 km x 52 Saturdays = 20,384 km a year. x2 for Sundays is 40,768 km a year.

The short-turned route 85 into Springfield loop weekdays after 7 on the other hand is 10.6 km. There are just 4 runs either way after 7 PM for a total of 8 runs, which are scheduled to all hit the same points at the same time each hour (almost unheard of). 10.6 km x 8 runs = 84.8 km a night. 84.8 km x 252 working days = 21,369.6 km a year. Total proposed binning all together: 62,137.6 km a year.

My idea: Send it all the way up Lagimodiere to Springfield and continue its usual footprint from that point onward, as Concordia is already served by the cut-immune 90, and London as well as portions of Gateway are served by 44. Or eliminate the CPT dogleg and continue straight on Gateway. Failing that, axe it totally and rework 11 Rothesay to absorb more of its footprint.

I like your proposal for replacing the 85 with the 11 Rothesay.  Would definitely improve service within North Kildonan and get more ridership than the current route structure. The 85 doesn't share its route with a non-express bus between Rothesay and Gilmore and Gateway and Springfield. The 41 North Kildonan Express shares the route between Rothesay and Gilmore and Headmaster and De Vries. The 40 All Seasons shares the route along Ragsdill, Sun Valley and part of Rothesay. The 85 could easily fit into the 11 Rothesay without any major issues and still become the 11 Donwood. The only problem I can see is what to do with service on Gilmore. I would think the slight jog it makes at Raleigh/Knowles/Gateway to service a seniors block may/may not work with this routing. I have never seen any residents of that building get on/off at those stops.

17 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Amidst all the “work” (blind cuts) they did on the budget, they forgot to release the COVID-19 seating arrangement where only 10 of 40 seats are used so there is a 3 ft gap between everyone ?

Or the complimentary orange and cream hazmat suits, personally handcrafted & handed out by Transit Tom...

311 died while headed westbound on Grant shortly before 11:00 this morning (66-12, headed to Unicity). As we were at around Grant Park, I noticed the driver radioing Control about something, then when we hit Cambridge, he kicked us all off, saying the engine had overheated. He didn’t get a tradeoff and everyone who had been on board was forced to take the Polo Park that came fifteen minutes later. Fortunately, as I normally take the Unicity bus to the end of the route and switch buses, I was able to make it home alright.

Double whammy of bad news today. A pedestrian was hit and killed by a bus, and the city seems to not want to care about doing more frequent interior disinfections at least temporarily in spite of probable virus detections in the WRHA area. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/portage-colony-collision-winnipeg-police-1.5496416 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-transit-cleaning-coronavirus-1.5495520

1 hour ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Double whammy of bad news today. A pedestrian was hit and killed by a bus, and the city seems to not want to care about doing more frequent interior disinfections at least temporarily in spite of probable virus detections in the WRHA area. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/portage-colony-collision-winnipeg-police-1.5496416 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-transit-cleaning-coronavirus-1.5495520

I was wondering why the 21s were so far behind this morning (I got on an inbound 21 scheduled for 9:42 at 10:24 and the one I normally take at 10:28 was seen at Burnell on its outbound trip at 10:37).

• Confused 1

Seeing as covid-19 is substantially decreasing bus ridership, should the number of runs be scaled back to create more budget space for fall? Or should there be a legitimate recommended seating plan, trying to keep passengers 1m apart?

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

Seeing as covid-19 is substantially decreasing bus ridership, should the number of runs be scaled back to create more budget space for fall? Or should there be a legitimate recommended seating plan, trying to keep passengers 1m apart?

I wonder if implementing summer levels of service this change instead of next would be an option. What they have in store for fall will be interesting to see regardless of whether or not COVID-19 is still a factor, as it will be a lot different having Phase 2 and not having the U-PASS. How will these changes affect particularly Route 36? Even with Phase 1, that bus is always packed past Corydon (even with 60-footers, I sometimes have to weave my way through a large group of passengers in order to get off at Grant - I would imagine it will be back to having mostly 40-footers on there once Phase 2 opens) and will still be the fastest bus to the U of M even after Phase 2 opens. I guess we’ll see come August.

13 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder if implementing summer levels of service this change instead of next would be an option. What they have in store for fall will be interesting to see regardless of whether or not COVID-19 is still a factor, as it will be a lot different having Phase 2 and not having the U-PASS. How will these changes affect particularly Route 36? Even with Phase 1, that bus is always packed past Corydon (even with 60-footers, I sometimes have to weave my way through a large group of passengers in order to get off at Grant - I would imagine it will be back to having mostly 40-footers on there once Phase 2 opens) and will still be the fastest bus to the U of M even after Phase 2 opens. I guess we’ll see come August.

Still have the Ex oc transpo Artics they most likely will be used  on there 

14 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Still have the Ex oc transpo Artics they most likely will be used  on there 

They’ve been harder to find now that all 28 XD60s are in service, but you’re right, they’re still in service. Do you know which routes will get the D60LFs? 36 will be unchanged and 60 will be similar, but there will be a lot of other changes, with the 47 absorbing the 160 and three routes replacing the 72. Let’s not forget the 35, 54 and 59 will continue to exist. Though the removal of the 161 without a replacement will free some up, and I don’t even know if there will be 28 BLUE buses out at a time even at rush hour, so some of these routes might get XD60s.

1 minute ago, SirAndrew710 said:

They’ve been harder to find now that all 28 XD60s are in service, but you’re right, they’re still in service. Do you know which routes will get the D60LFs? 36 will be unchanged and 60 will be similar, but there will be a lot of other changes, with the 47 absorbing the 160 and three routes replacing the 72. Let’s not forget the 35, 54 and 59 will continue to exist. Though the removal of the 161 without a replacement will free some up, and I don’t even know if there will be 28 BLUE buses out at a time even at rush hour, so some of these routes might get XD60s.

35,36,54,59 are all keeping the artics Ik for sure the 47,671,672 and 662 are all 40 foot buses so I assume the 19 D60LF will be spread out between the 35,36,54 and 59 idk if the 60s will use the XD or D60LF 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

No and no.

10 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

35,36,54,59 are all keeping the artics Ik for sure the 47,671,672 and 662 are all 40 foot buses so I assume the 19 D60LF will be spread out between the 35,36,54 and 59 idk if the 60s will use the XD or D60LF 

The current 47 is bad enough with the 40 foot buses, I can only imagine what it will be like with the new version.

13 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Slightly unrelated, but I don’t understand why the 35, 54 and 59 get artics but the 33, 14 and 55 do not. I’ve ridden all three and all of them, especially the 33, can get pretty packed. In fact, both times I’ve been on the 33 - once over the noon hour, once at about quarter to three - it’s been packed right to the yellow line by the time it’s reached Balmoral.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Slightly unrelated, but I don’t understand why the 35, 54 and 59 get artics but the 33, 14 and 55 do not. I’ve ridden all three and all of them, especially the 33, can get pretty packed. In fact, both times I’ve been on the 33 - once over the noon hour, once at about quarter to three - it’s been packed right to the yellow line by the time it’s reached Balmoral.

Same with the 47, and probably the 46 too. Full by the time it reaches Main. I know a lot of times, the 47 has been a real squeeze. Just imagine that, plus traffic from Pembina/University.