SD160 Deliveries and Spottings

M. Parsons

So that's (Facebook) where you've been hanging out all this time you filthy traitor (j/k) :P . CPTDB is much better than Facebook.

Hey, who do you think started the ETS group in facebook? :P

You should check it out sometime :P

• Board Admin
Facebook will die like the rest. not interested in signing up for it! lol
Not happening... it's slowed a bit but will never die. :P

Cromdale tail track is all cleaned up - just the blue tarp is left by the fence.

Flatcar is still by Coliseum.

Cromdale tail track is all cleaned up - just the blue tarp is left by the fence.

Random note about that tarp... it was the last piece of tarp on the car. All others had been removed from anywhere near where they were working, until a gust of wind blew that tarp off. That was about all the excitement that we had for a few hours at one point. :-P

For those without Facebook, these pictures were posted by one of our members:

n721000463_2924537_9025.jpg

n721000463_2924536_8374.jpg

n721000463_2924535_7662.jpg

Wood panelling?!? :P

Interesting doors on these. Sort of a "plug" style, no? Should mean a few more inches of room to enter/exit the car because the door completely leaves the entrance, rather than folding to the side like on the U2s.

Am I correct in assuming that the driver views the doors via a cc tv camera and screen in those bullet-shaped mounts?

Wood panelling?!? :P

Interesting doors on these. Sort of a "plug" style, no? Should mean a few more inches of room to enter/exit the car because the door completely leaves the entrance, rather than folding to the side like on the U2s.

Am I correct in assuming that the driver views the doors via a cc tv camera and screen in those bullet-shaped mounts?

Yes, they are plug doors. The windows are smaller on the SD160's. We also thought the doors looked smaller. Yes, instead of a mirror there's a camera.

• Board Admin

Anybody have an exact date for the next delivery? Or if you get word, would ya clue me in!
Don't worry, I pass by the unloading point twice daily, and will be posting any sightings here. :angry:

Thank you to everyone who stuck around in the hot blazing sun to take photos and post them on this site.

For those who could not attend, this gives us an opportunity to see the new LRVs,

I wanted to attend this event and probably would have stayed for the duration but I may not have a job when I eventually return to work.

• Board Admin

It is about the same as our current ones, but two sets of the lateral seating on each side, and the blue upholstery like the newer D40LFRs.

Not sure exactly of the seat design though.

Likely will be a few months before they are in service, theres also a video posted on flickr of 1038, they actually had to use 1013 to push it to the garage. The control interfaces may be incompatible (as is the case with Calgary's DC U2's and our SD160's), though its remotely possible ETS may have had them built to be compatible. If they didn't, they'll need at least a full consist here before they start running them.

I am very much looking forward to riding these when I make it up to Edmonton in the fall. Especially curious about the features inside that we haven't seen yet.

Calgary's SD160s actually are built to be compatible, and have compatible couplers. They can run together, but aren't due to unreliability, but will function normally (with SDs in simulated DC mode). Edmonton's LRVs have totally different coupler, so will only be able to be mechanically coupled (with difficulty), 'trailered', not for use in service...unless the U2s get new couplers when rebuilt. Have fun with your nice new trains Edmonton, it;s about time - they look really sharp!

Calgary's SD160s actually are built to be compatible, and have compatible couplers. They can run together, but aren't due to unreliability, but will function normally (with SDs in simulated DC mode). Edmonton's LRVs have totally different coupler, so will only be able to be mechanically coupled (with difficulty), 'trailered', not for use in service...unless the U2s get new couplers when rebuilt. Have fun with your nice new trains Edmonton, it;s about time - they look really sharp!

Thanks for posting that. I had tried to post something similar a few days ago, but between issues with my internet and the board I never was able to get it posted.

While they did have some difficulty mechanically coupling the two cars it appeared more so because it was the first time they had done it. They seemed to be trying to figure out how to set the SD160 up to couple. Once they had that done it was no problem.

The difference is the electrical connections. The U2's and Calgary's SD160's have the electrical connections on top of the coupler head, while Edmonton's SD160's have them on the sides. This means that Edmonton's cars right now are not compatible with Calgary's cars.