Calgary Transit

kevlo86

If this is going to be a regular occurrence, i'm surprised there hasn't been much news on this outside of this board or on places like Reddit.

I typically check my schedules once at the start of signup, have the arrival times memorized for the times I tend to be travelling and then check out T55 to see if things are running on time. Even an announcement on the main page or some tweets about cancelled service would let people know to check out schedules before heading out. Without any context, from a customer perspective, it's quite jarring to open the Transit app or online schedule and just randomly see a bunch of scheduled times crossed out, especially with the colder weather recently.

A bunch of news outlets have stories on the snow detours being in effect today. A literal shortage of working buses and trips getting cut on high frequency routes as a result seems pretty news worthy to me if it continues to occur.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

If this is going to be a regular occurrence, i'm surprised there hasn't been much news on this outside of this board or on places like Reddit.

I don't think this started happening until very recently …  or at least it hasn't been as widespread of an occurrence.

I feel bad for users of Route 10 this morning. Looks like only one of three buses protecting the route is running, resulting in headways of 90 minutes. This seems to be the worst of it.

3 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I don't think this started happening until very recently …  or at least it hasn't been as widespread of an occurrence.

I feel bad for users of Route 10 this morning. Looks like only one of three buses protecting the route is running, resulting in headways of 90 minutes. This seems to be the worst of it.

Understood, up until your post yesterday, things seemed pretty normal.

Again, if they're able to make cancelled trips appear in the schedule, it would be nice to have a little transparency with an announcement or some tweets indicating there is some impact to service on some routes and to check schedules before heading out.

As an average person, I would've just thought Transit was having a super bad day yesterday. If I was out and was waiting for a missing bus again today, i'd probably think it was due to the snow and the poor road conditions. If this continues though without any context and transparency, it's going to be quite frustrating waiting for buses that won't show up regularly.

14 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Again, if they're able to make cancelled trips appear in the schedule, it would be nice to have a little transparency with an announcement or some tweets indicating there is some impact to service on some routes and to check schedules before heading out.

I sometimes get the feeling they're struggling to balance transparency with saving face — like when they describe interruptions to CTrain service on Twitter with vague descriptions instead of sharing specific information about the problem in question that could help riders decide if they need to choose an alternate route or find some other mode of transpo altogether.

IMHO they shouldn't worry at all about saving face. Just be straight with us. Most of us will be understanding (within reason) if you tell us what we need to know. I think that's the frustrating part. Not telling riders the whole story doesn't allow us to take agency of our personal situation as it relates to our interaction with transit — and that's where the frustration gets amplified.

• Like 4

The trip cancellations and significant bus shortages are all due to the extreme cold - nothing works well when it's -35, and that includes buses and trains.  So there's a huge backlog of buses in the shop.  Things should likely be better by the weekend or next week.  You'll likely see incremental improvements each day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snow route detours ending at noon today:
https://newsroom.calgary.ca/calgary-transit-will-return-to-regular-routes-at-noon-on-thursday-following-snow-detours/

And in some of the weather coverage in the news yesterday, I saw an acknowledgment that many buses were off the road due to maintenance issues due to last week's cold. There was reassurance that service would return to normal by the end of this week, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

No cancellations are showing in the schedules on the Calgary Transit website, but there are still cancellations on Transit 55 and in the Transit app. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Breaking News from the insider world!!!!!!!!

They are filling in the Pineridge Trap next Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday!!!!!!!

Does that mean it’ll be opened up to all vehicular traffic? Or still limited to buses but without the trap?

On 1/18/2024 at 7:45 AM, downbeat said:

Snow route detours ending at noon today:
https://newsroom.calgary.ca/calgary-transit-will-return-to-regular-routes-at-noon-on-thursday-following-snow-detours/

And in some of the weather coverage in the news yesterday, I saw an acknowledgment that many buses were off the road due to maintenance issues due to last week's cold. There was reassurance that service would return to normal by the end of this week, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

No cancellations are showing in the schedules on the Calgary Transit website, but there are still cancellations on Transit 55 and in the Transit app. 

On the transit55 website where can I view canceled trips?

6 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Breaking News from the insider world!!!!!!!!

They are filling in the Pineridge Trap next Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday!!!!!!!

Update!!!

They are all being filled in this week!!!!

• Like 6

I was downtown not too long ago and noticed there were two buses on Route 22 back to back. Seeing how there are only two buses on this route on weekends, this means that for anyone using the service at the time, the effective headway was 70 minutes. (Looking at Transit 55 now, this is still true.) It's pretty clear to me this really isn't great for riders … so would the driver of the late bus be empowered to ask their supervisor/bus control for permission to short turn after moving their passengers onto the bus behind them, which is actually running on time?

• 3 weeks later...

A few minor changes I've noticed in the past few days on the passenger information system, 'stop request' has been changed to 'stop requested,' and on the D40LF I was on, the message would scroll, whereas on the XD40s the message still flashes

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JasonXYT said:

https://www.calgary.ca/roads/safety/bus-vehicle-trap-removal.html

rip bus traps, I guess they will all be replaced with the gates now?

That webpage mentions that new signage and traffic cameras will be installed to monitor enforcement, so I am assuming no gates at the time being. Makes sense as installing gates could cause issues with emergency response times.

I’m not sure when this happened, but the weekday schedule for Route 1 has been changed to accommodate signal trips at the end of the night, meaning some wonky headways at times.

The weekend schedules have also been tweaked in the early mornings, with headways going to 27 minutes instead of 25.

39 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I’m not sure when this happened, but the weekday schedule for Route 1 has been changed to accommodate signal trips at the end of the night, meaning some wonky headways at times.

The weekend schedules have also been tweaked in the early mornings, with headways going to 27 minutes instead of 25.

I thought the route 1 always had signal trips.

2 hours ago, D40LF said:

I thought the route 1 always had signal trips.

When the headways were bumped up to 16 minutes on weekdays for the current signup, there were no trips scheduled at exactly 11:45 pm and 12:20 am leaving downtown. Even at the last signup, with 22 minute headways, the westbound trips also had no signal trips officially scheduled, IIRC they were at 12:18 and 12:30 at the time, oddly.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:32 AM, downbeat said:

Mid December. Moved my post work bus from 11:18 PM to 11:02 PM which saves me a great deal of time.

3 hours ago, PartiallySD said:

Mid December.

Mid-December was the start of the winter signup. I think they've been tweaked since then: there was some chat in this forum about how the schedule didn't follow the signal times.