Calgary Transit

kevlo86

8 hours ago, JS9749 said:

To be fair, I have never ridden on a Vicinity nor a Proterra, so I can’t comment on their performances.  But what makes me dislike Arbocs is when I once rode the 52 through Midnapore it made me shake so hard as if I were on a roller coaster.  Calgary should really face this fact and learn from other places.

Ignoring the costs, I wonder if European buses like MAN and Volvo will perform well in such bipolar places.  I believe that they do pretty awesome in European regions.

I have riden route 52 many times and its so bumpy the bell kept going off and the driver kept making sure I didn’t press it.

Also, how come the only buses to go to chestermere are 7920-7923 & 6020-6023? I have always been curious on it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 7979 d40lf fan said:

Also, how come the only buses to go to chestermere are 7920-7923 & 6020-6023? I have always been curious on it.

It's because these are the only units that have CVIP (Commercial Vehicle Inspection) done on them and that's a requirement to go outside of Calgary City limits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kierago said:

What happened to the order of 14 Grande West Vicinity Lightning EVs that were supposed to arrive in 2022?

Someone told me that they took too long to produce them, requires fact check though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BC_YYC said:

It's because these are the only units that have CVIP (Commercial Vehicle Inspection) done on them and that's a requirement to go outside of Calgary City limits

I would imagine they are also outfitted with emergency equipment kits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I would imagine they are also outfitted with emergency equipment kits.

Sure does! 7920-23 & 6020-23 all have Emergency Equipment right next to front door on the right

1 hour ago, Ape Escape Remastere said:

I think the next buses should have a lean bar instead of 2 seats on passenger side near the front door

You should send feedback to Calgary Transit. They would appreciate to hear it from their passengers. 😉

4 minutes ago, Ape Escape Remastere said:

BRAKING NEWS 

2464 2429 2422 just went OUT OF SERVICE at City hall 

Could it have one of the Red Line trains going out of service and switching to the Blue Line?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ape Escape Remastere said:

BRAKING NEWS 

2464 2429 2422 just went OUT OF SERVICE at City hall 

Can we keep this jibber jabber nonsense out of here, please? A train going NIS in the core during peak is not breaking news, or news at all. It’s a garage shutdown. Several keys terminate in the city centre to switch lines.

Please take the 5 minutes to read or to ask before you start hollering in all caps like a disgruntled 13 year old about something that happens every day. Thanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PolarYYC said:

Could it have one of the Red Line trains going out of service and switching to the Blue Line?

Nope it left empty heading south 

More information

Shut off at centre street. A train heading to Tuscany had pulled into city hall with the first car out of service. The car changed back to Tuscany when the other train went on and started to move. 

43 minutes ago, PolarYYC said:

They typically run in service to Saddletowne

27 minutes ago, PartiallySD said:

Can we keep this jibber jabber nonsense out of here, please? A train going NIS in the core during peak is not breaking news, or news at all. It’s a garage shutdown. Several keys terminate in the city centre to switch lines.

Please take the 5 minutes to read or to ask before you start hollering in all caps like a disgruntled 13 year old about something that happens every day. Thanks. 

I can’t see a revenue train go out of service in the core unless the train broke down. That would cause some crazy delays during rush hour with both 201 and the 202 lines.

However, from time to time if trains are stacked up in the south or NE they can go out of service at Whitehorn Station or Southland Station and go off-line accordingly. 

They usually run in service until they get to the end of the line. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LRT said:

I am aware of that, however I thought the sign would change from red line to out of service while the operator switches cab, then the sign displays blue line. Correct me, if the sign goes directly from red line to blue line.

20 minutes ago, PolarYYC said:

I am aware of that, however I thought the sign would change from red line to out of service while the operator switches cab, then the sign displays blue line. Correct me, if the sign goes directly from red line to blue line.

Signs are set by the operator at Tuscany selecting the proper code that will display 🟦 Saddletowne and play the proper announcements in the core.

Also at that time, the operator will also select the destination code which will route that train to the northeast Which will also display the proper destination on the station platform signage.

So as strange as it may seem, you’ll actually see a Blue line train running on the Red line.

If the train is out of service, the operator would have to override the existing signage before or after he switches ends   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LRT said:

Signs are set by the operator at Tuscany selecting the proper code that will display 🟦 Saddletowne and play the proper announcements in the core.

Also at that time, the operator will also select the destination code which will route that train to the northeast Which will also display the proper destination on the station platform signage.

So as strange as it may seem, you’ll actually see a Blue line train running on the Red line.

If the train is out of service, the operator would have to override the existing signage before or after he switches ends   

May I please know the timetables of those special departures?  Transit App shows that every departure from Tuscany is going to terminate at Somerset.

10 minutes ago, JS9749 said:

May I please know the timetables of those special departures?  Transit App shows that every departure from Tuscany is going to terminate at Somerset.

Unfortunately I don’t know. 

Most likely rush hour trains. It’s been a while since I kept up on the train side. 

• Thanks 1

I implore everyone to use the search function for the various threads is this forum, as it is possible a question you want to ask has already been addressed at some point. This will avoid needless repetition/duplication of information.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:35 PM, JS9749 said:

This has come up in this thread in the past. If you do a search of the word "schedule" in this forum, you'll find some messages from end of February (shortly after the Spring service changes were announced) discussing this very thing.

In short, southbound trains go all the way to Somerset-Bridlewood, but going northbound, a number of trains toward the evening switch from Red to Blue after Victoria Park so they can go back to Oliver Bowen Maintenance Facility. If you pull up the schedule for Route 201 on the Calgary Transit website, you can scroll across the schedule to see these trains. At the start of the day, you'll also see a number of trains doing the opposite — entering service on the Blue Line but switching to Red Line as some point going south to Somerset-Bridlewood.

--

On a completely different topic: there was talk here about an out-of-service train in the core. As a matter of trivia, I believe I saw this train at Victoria Park/Stampede (and already out of service at that point) sometime after 7 p.m. idle at the northbound platform.

I was walking toward City Hall on foot and by the time I got there, I may have caught up with the same out of service train, which was just leaving City Hall station going westbound.

Sorry I don't actually know what happened with this train, but I thought it would be helpful to share where it was seen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:50 PM, Nick B said:

We certainly do need way more, not including replacements for the 63 clapped out ISM LFRs some of which are arguably overdue for the shredder.

As per posts in other threads there's a rumor floating around of an order of CNG artics, conversely there's also been a rumor that transit management wants to phase out artics completely cause they're "too expensive" to operate even though they're somehow not too expensive in any other major city in Canada..

Hopefully the former will come to light.

I actually enjoy driving the LFRs. I completely agree though they are getting quite worn out.

It would be cool to see Nova artics. As far as eliminating the artics I can’t see that happening. 

• Like 6

On 4/26/2024 at 10:33 AM, LRT said:

I actually enjoy driving the LFRs. I completely agree though they are getting quite worn out.

It would be cool to see Nova artics. As far as eliminating the artics I can’t see that happening. 

Unfortunately Nova don't make CNG artic, and They are Focus on Batter-Electric vehicle now .

The Articulated NovaBus LFS Artic E+ will not Available until 2026 according form NovaBus Sales and management team in 2024 Ontario Transportation Expo

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 7:06 PM, LRT said:

I can’t see a revenue train go out of service in the core unless the train broke down. That would cause some crazy delays during rush hour with both 201 and the 202 lines.

However, from time to time if trains are stacked up in the south or NE they can go out of service at Whitehorn Station or Southland Station and go off-line accordingly. 

They usually run in service until they get to the end of the line. 

Thanks for your insight as usual. I stand corrected. I still implore the other member to use the appropriate topic pages to report such instances, and to also do it in a more mature manner.

38 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Spotted in Chinatown recently: Route 301 NB was standing-room only, Route 3 right behind it had a fully-seated load. Here’s hoping Transit can consider a headway improvement on weekends next season. 

Looks for summer sign up to be similar to this one. Look for some big changes related to the PTN this fall.

• Like 4