Gillig

Mr.Transit

I heard from two reliable sources who work in the transit bus industry that, Gillig is up for sale. The reason being, the family members want out of the business. Also, there are some transit related businesses interested in buying them. Stay turn for further updates.

How's that Neoplan revival coming?

I heard from two reliable sources who work in the transit bus industry that, Gillig is up for sale. The reason being, the family members want out of the business. Also, there are some transit related businesses interested in buying them. Stay turn for further updates.

WOW thats News to me, the only gillig related news I had was that the last Phantom will roll off the assembly line some time this year. But now Ill have to do some digging of my own.

James Roach

busfreak99

The Neoplan restart is off for now. I spoke to a reliable source who works for Neopart LLC.

Like I mentioned to everybody when I first started posting on here that, I back my facts with accurate info, not rumors and heresay. My source knows people who work for Gillig. So, don't say I didn't tell you so when an announcement is made sometime this year that, a deal was made.

WOW thats News to me, the only gillig related news I had was that the last Phantom will roll off the assembly line some time this year. But now Ill have to do some digging of my own.

James Roach

busfreak99

They're discontinuing the Phantom? I thought they'd keep it as it's rather popular among smaller transit agencies.

Good riddance -- the Gillig Phantom is the definition of ugly.

Heh. At least it's not a glorified school bus.

Or a futuristic station wagon where a mother can make 20+ babies!

They're discontinuing the Phantom? I thought they'd keep it as it's rather popular among smaller transit agencies.

Good riddance -- the Gillig Phantom is the definition of ugly.

Well, Gillig went close to bankruptcy but thankfully a couple of large TA ordered to kept them alive!

James Roach

busfreak99

About time. Aside from New Jersey Transit and probably DART in TX, no one is really ordering high floor buses anymore.

Gillig was never close to filing for bankruptcy. As I stated earlier, Gillig is a family owned business, that don't have to answer to shareholders. They still remain a profitable company and will continue to control a large share of the US market, because on their quality buses they build for their repeat and new customers.

Where did you hear about the Phantom being discontinued? On Gillig Coaches it says that the Phantom is not being discontinued after they talked with Gillig. Apparently the Phantom discontinuing news is not real.

The Phantom has a dated look. It has been in production since 1980.

I think that Metro Transit in Minneapolis is the top customer for Gillig. Over 1000 buses have been bought since 1989.

Where did you hear about the Phantom being discontinued? On Gillig Coaches it says that the Phantom is not being discontinued after they talked with Gillig. Apparently the Phantom discontinuing news is not real.

The Phantom has a dated look. It has been in production since 1980.

I think that Metro Transit in Minneapolis is the top customer for Gillig. Over 1000 buses have been bought since 1989.

My source is Bob Bourne retired manager from cyride and a transit consulatant who was at GILLIG in December and confirmed with him that the Phantom is being retired. please feel free to email Bob Bourne @ bob@bournetransit.com and he can confirm this with you.

thank you

james roach

Busfreak99

My source is Bob Bourne retired manager from cyride and a transit consulatant who was at GILLIG in December and confirmed with him that the Phantom is being retired. please feel free to email Bob Bourne @ bob@bournetransit.com and he can confirm this with you.

thank you

james roach

Busfreak99

I wonder who's the last system got the Phantom?

Ok its time for me to correct the situation.

In my past statement I said Bob Bourne was my contact for this information, I was leaving out that i had received this information second hand, and that there was more to the story. Confirming tonight with Mr. Bourne himself the gillig phantom will still be built after this year but.... Gillig is using a poly carbon body and basically jacking the up price of the Phantom 25 to 30 %. I am sorry about the miscommunication.

James Roach

busfreak99@yahoo.com

Regarding the Glaval, it's pretty much a stretched OriOn II, with single rear wheels (wonder what the weight footprint is on that thing anyways)

Orion IIs never had dual rear wheels, either.

And I've got to say that the OII introduced more radical engineering than the Glaval does - but yes, they're essentially the same kind of vehicle.

Ok its time for me to correct the situation.

In my past statement I said Bob Bourne was my contact for this information, I was leaving out that i had received this information second hand, and that there was more to the story. Confirming tonight with Mr. Bourne himself the gillig phantom will still be built after this year but.... Gillig is using a poly carbon body and basically jacking the up price of the Phantom 25 to 30 %. I am sorry about the miscommunication.

James Roach

busfreak99@yahoo.com

that'll likely make the other models in the lineup look more attractive.

and or Volvo would by Milleium and get back the RTS

if they did that, volvo would likely have to do some pr damage control for the rts model. i think the millenium fiasco really damaged the rts' industry image.

If Millennium can't get off the ground, then the RTS is dead.

I wonder how much these rumors of a sale of Gillig have to do with the strike they suffered last year. The transit bus business is extremely competitive right now, so rising labor expenses on top of higher material costs likely mean that the company's owners aren't making tons of money.

Nova cannot sell LFS buses in the U.S. that are paid for with federal funds unless they meet the Federal Transit Administration's 'Buy America' rules, which require a minimum of 60 percent of 'United States content' and final assembly in the U.S. Volvo buying Gillig would not change this unless LFS production began at the Gillig plant.

Speaking of Millennium...who didn't see this coming?

ROSWELL, N.M. — A $6 million contract between a Roswell-based bus contractor and the city of Beaumont, Texas, has been canceled.

Millennium Transit Services was to deliver 16 buses to Beaumont by October, said general manager, Ted Smith.

The deadline was extended to February after Millennium was forced to search for a new natural gas engine supplier to meet Beaumont's specifications, Smith said.

The Texas city recently asked that the company provide a performance bond to guarantee satisfactory completion of the project.

But Smith said that would have further increased costs to Millennium.

"We were already unable to meet our margins," he said. "It was the best decision for Millennium and for Beaumont that we walk away."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5480274.html

Someone said the RTS' legend was damaged - I think that's not exactly true. The bus itself is relatively favored when it comes to a heavy-duty HF bus design, but the company who presently owns it is a cluster**** of an organization (that's as nicely as I can put it).

Nova cannot sell LFS buses in the U.S. that are paid for with federal funds unless they meet the Federal Transit Administration's 'Buy America' rules, which require a minimum of 60 percent of 'United States content' and final assembly in the U.S. Volvo buying Gillig would not change this unless LFS production began at the Gillig plant.

Well if Nova did want to re enter the US market, they would reopen there upstate NY plant.