York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Sorry... Have to interrupt the ongoing discussion here...

I was going to e-mail YRT about re-routing the Viva routes in Markham, but I want to discuss if this is do-able before e-mailing them... so I wanna get your opinions...

Enterprise Drive (the road Viva is using right now passing through Downtown Markham) used to end at Rivis Road... so the Viva buses are forced to use Rivis Road then YMCA Boulevard to exit to Kennedy Road.

Well, ever since late 2009, Enterprise Drive is now connected with Unionville Gate, and directly connects to Kennedy Road... I was wondering if the Viva buses could utilize this new Enterprise Drive alignment, instead of diving south on Rivis, then back north on Kennedy. It'll save some travelling time... I think that bump right now is unnecessary...

This way, I shall also propose an extra vivastation, pending named Rivis, be constructed at the current intersection of Rivis and Enterprise.

So I was going to propose that Viva Purple and Viva Green will both route via Enterprise Drive through Unionville Gate to Kennedy Road, servicing Rivis Vivastation, but Viva Pink will keep its current alignment, servicing Rivis Road and YMCA Boulevard (Enterprise Vivastation). Or alternatively, relocate Enterprise Vivastation to Rivis and Enterprise. All 3 Viva routes will serve this stop.

The only concern is... Viva Purple and Viva Green riders might have to walk a longer distance from the Unionville YMCA facility and Unionville GO Station. After checking with Google Maps, the relocation of Enterprise Vivastation (or creation of a new Vivastation) will result in a 2 minute walk (as opposed to ~ 45 seconds right now) from the YMCA facility, and a 5 minute walk (as opposed to 3 minutes right now) from Unionville GO Station. The relocation will still keep the walking distance from both destinations below 500 m (as per YRT's standards)

So what do all of you think? Shall this relocation be valid?

I personally don't see any reason why the VIVAstation should be moved to Rivis. It moves it marginally closer to Bill Crothers SS, and marginally further away from Unionville GO and the YMCA (both of which probably have higher demand than BCSS).

Personally, after the ROW is completed parallel to Enterprise, I'd like to see a VIVAstation underneath the GO tracks with a vertical connection directly to the GO platforms (and I'm assuming by this time they'd be double-tracked, so a connection to both platforms would be nice). Maybe then it would be an option to have another station at Kennedy/Unionville Gate, although I doubt that currently VIVA is interested in serving a bunch of car dealerships...

Sorry... Have to interrupt the ongoing discussion here...

I was going to e-mail YRT about re-routing the Viva routes in Markham, but I want to discuss if this is do-able before e-mailing them... so I wanna get your opinions...

Enterprise Drive (the road Viva is using right now passing through Downtown Markham) used to end at Rivis Road... so the Viva buses are forced to use Rivis Road then YMCA Boulevard to exit to Kennedy Road.

Well, ever since late 2009, Enterprise Drive is now connected with Unionville Gate, and directly connects to Kennedy Road... I was wondering if the Viva buses could utilize this new Enterprise Drive alignment, instead of diving south on Rivis, then back north on Kennedy. It'll save some travelling time... I think that bump right now is unnecessary...

This way, I shall also propose an extra vivastation, pending named Rivis, be constructed at the current intersection of Rivis and Enterprise.

So I was going to propose that Viva Purple and Viva Green will both route via Enterprise Drive through Unionville Gate to Kennedy Road, servicing Rivis Vivastation, but Viva Pink will keep its current alignment, servicing Rivis Road and YMCA Boulevard (Enterprise Vivastation). Or alternatively, relocate Enterprise Vivastation to Rivis and Enterprise. All 3 Viva routes will serve this stop.

The only concern is... Viva Purple and Viva Green riders might have to walk a longer distance from the Unionville YMCA facility and Unionville GO Station. After checking with Google Maps, the relocation of Enterprise Vivastation (or creation of a new Vivastation) will result in a 2 minute walk (as opposed to ~ 45 seconds right now) from the YMCA facility, and a 5 minute walk (as opposed to 3 minutes right now) from Unionville GO Station. The relocation will still keep the walking distance from both destinations below 500 m (as per YRT's standards)

So what do all of you think? Shall this relocation be valid?

Your proposed realignment of Viva routes in Markham Centre would cause a farther walk from YMCA and Unionville GO to the only full service route in the area (purple). It will greatly inconvenience riders during times green and pink do not run, which will be times Bill Crothers needs those routes least. I understand the reasoning behind your idea, but in terms of serving riders, it is not the best thing to do. The first phase of the Viva transitway runs all the way to Kennedy/Highway 7, and will skip the current turn onto Rivis, as the transitway will be routes directly beside Unionville GO. It will decrease the travel time anyway, as it will bypass the heavy peak-hour traffic on Kennedy between YMCA Blvd. and Highway 7.

If you're posing a question like this, ask yourself similar questions like "why can't the 8 go straight down Kennedy instead of going through Angus Glen?" or "why can't the 20 just serve the stop at Jane/Norwood instead of going into Wonderland?", think about it, and then decide if this really would be a logical route change.

However, I would not discourage you from sending YRT your suggestion.

I'd take it you're coming from the Durham region. If it was me and I had to do the trip here's my route

Weekdays

1. GO Transit routes 95 or 96 to Finch GO Terminal

2. VIVA Blue to Rutherford / 16th

3. YRT Route 85 to Vaughan Mills Mall

Weekends

1. GO Transit Route 94 to Yorkdale Terminal

2. Subway to Downsview Stn

3. TTC 196 or VIVA Orange to York U

4. YRT Route 20 to Vaughan Mills Mall

If you use the GO Train to Union Stn you can use the Vaughan Mills Shuttle Bus for free. But as you've said the service is very limited and you're pretty much working with the Shuttle bus schedule to get a ride back to Union.

I mean really, I can take the shuttle bus to Vaughan Mills - on a grain of salt. While this shuttle is gear toward tourists and many people living in the city and provides a convenient way on getting there, I have to get an identification bracelet down at Union Station. I simply CANNOT get a bracelet at the mall itself - if I were to take the long route from my hometown (the TTC, GO, YRT/VIVA method) to Vaughan and then take the free shuttle from Vaughan Mills. As I arrive in Toronto, I still have to pay my GO fare home.

On the news, apparently Ontario is cutting the bus replacement subsidies.

Does this mean Ontario will stop giving subsidies regardless if the bus is Canadian or not?

Does this possibly mean back to Van Hools? :huh:

If the subsidies stop, I presume cash-strapped agencies will simply try to stretch out the life expectancies of their fleet. Unless Van Hools turn out to be cheaper, I don't think replacements will go that way compared to other bus manufacturers.

Last night, I thought of a multi-ride card for YRT. It's like buying twenty tickets, however, it saves paper and is more convenient. The driver would have to punch a ride out every time you board, and a transfer would still be issued (unless there's a better way to track transfers). Here's a rough idea of what I have in mind:

It's not only for students, but that's just an example.

multicard.png

Last night, I thought of a multi-ride card for YRT. It's like buying twenty tickets, however, it saves paper and is more convenient. The driver would have to punch a ride out every time you board, and a transfer would still be issued (unless there's a better way to track transfers). Here's a rough idea of what I have in mind:

I would like to see something other than a "punch out" type card. This one would be faked way too easily.

If we're making punch-out cards, we might as well put the resources into the implementation of Presto Cards.

Punch cards are a cheap, and short-term solution. If we re-route the punch card money for Presto's implementation, you could probably buy...oh, say...one and a half scanners? Obviously, it'd be nice if YRT thought of that earlier.

Punch cards are a cheap, and short-term solution. If we re-route the punch card money for Presto's implementation, you could probably buy...oh, say...one and a half scanners? Obviously, it'd be nice if YRT thought of that earlier.

I'm just saying punch-out cards are so redundant. For the 20 punch outs that you have there, YRT could instead sell 20 ticket packs. Besides those punch-out cards wouldn't work on Viva would they? Unless you install punching machines in vivastations...

I would like to see something other than a "punch out" type card. This one would be faked way too easily.

A daypass is an ideal I would perfer.

But a punch card like Barrie or DRT (now they are gone), not a good idea because I've seen operators don't have their transit punch are either lost or stolen and some operators don't have it.

Yea, I was about to say. Having a form of a fare media that is acceptable on one part of the system and not the other, wouldn't be very reliable.

How would these students use their multiCards to board VIVA? If they had to line up to get their cards punched by the driver, it'd defeat the purpose of quicker boarding that is offered by Proof of Payment.

And if they'd have to retrofit the machines to accept short term punch card technology, it's not worth the cost.

=====

And it'd be a hassle for the drivers as well:

-To have to take out a hole puncher

-Punch the card

-Then punch the farebox for counting purposes

Whereas the person just inserts the ticket, the farebox automatically records whether they were a student, adult etc.

Yea, I was about to say. Having a form of a fare media that is acceptable on one part of the system and not the other, wouldn't be very reliable.

How would these students use their multiCards to board VIVA? If they had to line up to get their cards punched by the driver, it'd defeat the purpose of quicker boarding that is offered by Proof of Payment.

And if they'd have to retrofit the machines to accept short term punch card technology, it's not worth the cost.

=====

And it'd be a hassle for the drivers as well:

-To have to take out a hole puncher

-Punch the card

-Then punch the farebox for counting purposes

Whereas the person just inserts the ticket, the farebox automatically records whether they were a student, adult etc.

What YRT really needs to fix is the broken and flawed zone fare system.

For example, if i have a 1Zone transfer that I obtained in Richmond Hill. I could technically use it on YRT up in Newmarket if I "free-va" and don't pay the one zone upgrade.

They need new fare media that differentiates between 1ZoneSouth, 1ZoneNorth, 2Zone.

I emailed them about the issue and they recognize it's flawed, but "most" people wouldn't cheat so it isn't worth paying attention to the issue.

This would delay the bus significantly due to punching, hence a bad idea. Second thing is that students are already using fake tickets and validating them at viva stops, so don't you think this would be even easier to produce?

when presto hits YRT, how will presto work with viva? for example, i catch a local route that takes me to where i tranfer to a viva route, right now the transfer you get from the local bus counts as proof of payment (i think) how will presto work with that scenario?

I believe that the fare enforcement will be carrying around portable scanners, iirc this would be the same as what GO transit will be doing with their trains.

when presto hits YRT, how will presto work with viva? for example, i catch a local route that takes me to where i tranfer to a viva route, right now the transfer you get from the local bus counts as proof of payment (i think) how will presto work with that scenario?
I believe that the fare enforcement will be carrying around portable scanners, iirc this would be the same as what GO transit will be doing with their trains.

Each Viva bus will probably have readers at each door, and you would be required to tap on when you board the bus.

Fare enforcement will very likely be carrying portable scanners, just to check that you did tap on. They won't be deducting the cost of the trip as they inspect.

Each Viva bus will probably have readers at each door, and you would be required to tap on when you board the bus.

Fare enforcement will very likely be carrying portable scanners, just to check that you did tap on. They won't be deducting the cost of the trip as they inspect.

Come to think of it, this might make giving out fines easier...there are probably provisions in the Presto system for a "fine" component, where if you haven't tapped on they tack on a fine charge that deducts the amount from your card on the spot, or marks it so you can't use the card again without having sufficient funds to pay off the fine charge first. It could also mark your account as having had a fare evasion fine before, so fare enforcement will know if you are a repeat offender.

What YRT really needs to fix is the broken and flawed zone fare system.

For example, if i have a 1Zone transfer that I obtained in Richmond Hill. I could technically use it on YRT up in Newmarket if I "free-va" and don't pay the one zone upgrade.

They need new fare media that differentiates between 1ZoneSouth, 1ZoneNorth, 2Zone.

I emailed them about the issue and they recognize it's flawed, but "most" people wouldn't cheat so it isn't worth paying attention to the issue.

Actually, no you can't. The North and South transfers have different codes on them, "A" for Zone 1 and "B" for Zone 2 so you could tell that you were cheating. Each VIVAstation ticket has it's unique code showing what VIVAstation it was purchased from. So if you were "freeva-ing" you wouldn't get much far.

Actually, no you can't. The North and South transfers have different codes on them, "A" for Zone 1 and "B" for Zone 2 so you could tell that you were cheating. Each VIVAstation ticket has it's unique code showing what VIVAstation it was purchased from. So if you were "freeva-ing" you wouldn't get much far.

That is, IF fare enforcement shows up.

And yes, the unique code will tell the whole story. There is a separation line for codes in north and south zone, and one for King Road and Bloomington Road. I will not say what it is though.

Service changes are now out on the service changes page -

18 - New 3:10 eastbound weekday trip added.

NEW - 90B - TTC 25D restructured to route YRT 90B. Duplication of service, with further service to businesses north of 16th Avenue. Full weekday service at 30 minute intervals, same rules as all YRT buses operating in TTC territory when going to and from Don Mills Station between Steeles.

TTC 224 - Effective May 10th, service extended north to Woodbine and Stony Hill, with rush hour service to the Victoria Square community, Cathedral Town community and the new Honda factory.

18 - Wow, seems like lots of trips are running during that time now. That's why I like route 18, lots of things along Bur Oak! :D

90B - Does this mean Don Mills/Leslie is going to have service every 15 minutes south of Major Mackenzie on weekdays?! :D :D

224 - Finally...

18 - Wow, seems like lots of trips are running during that time now. That's why I like route 18, lots of things along Bur Oak! :(

90B - Does this mean Don Mills/Leslie is going to have service every 15 minutes south of Major Mackenzie on weekdays?! :P :P

224 - Finally...

Effective May 10th, in response to rider migration, TTC 25D will be discontinued.

New YRT Route 90B – Leslie will service the former TTC 25D routing. See Route 90B – Leslie in above service changes for more details.

Are there any other TTC-contracted routes in the near future that YRT could take over?

Are there any other TTC-contracted routes in the near future that YRT could take over?

I really want YRT to fully take over 224, and provide the same service to Don Mills Station. Same with 107 (with the exception of 107B) to Downsview Station.

That's about it.

I really want YRT to fully take over 224, and provide the same service to Don Mills Station. Same with 107 (with the exception of 107B) to Downsview Station.

That's about it.

The 107 I could see happening once the subway makes it up to York U./Steeles West. I don't think there's that much traffic from York getting off along the St. Regis/Chesswood portion of the route, so would it be possible (assuming YRT had the resources) for them to take over the 107 and use the busway in the mean time? Assuming the whole YRT-using-the-busway issue gets resolved.

The 160 could possibly be covered by YRT if they were given permission to run into Wilson, or compromise and run the route into Downsview. What will it be 88 or 23? I think the premise of the whole route was to link the two Jewish communities at either end of the route with a single ride.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/local/artic...tial-for-growth

Potential for growth

YRT boss likes how region controls growth

Creating a transit-friendly culture in the suburbs is an ongoing challenge but Richard Leary says he’s the man for the job.

Mr. Leary took the reins of York Region Transit just before the new year and now has to convince residents of the benefits to public transit.

Only 46 years old, Mr. Leary retired from his role as chief operating officer of Boston’s Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority late last year.

After spending more than 20 years rising through the ranks, a grandfathered clause in his contract allowed for the early retirement but kicking back on the porch was never in the cards.

“I knew when I retired I wanted to stay on in public transit,” he says. “Public service is in my blood.”

Mr. Leary’s predecessor, Don Gordon, was the only chief the transit system had known, overseeing YRT since its amalgamation in 2001.

YRT is a young system still very much in transition, particularly compared to the 45-year-old Boston system, but Mr. Leary is perfectly happy to deal with those growing pains compared to the 100-year-old tunnels and other challenges of Boston’s more established system.

“I find it refreshing and look at it as an opportunity to help (the system) grow,” he says.“That’s the exciting part about this.”

The MBTA is a large system operating buses, subways, commuter trail, trolleys and ferries.

York transit is simple by comparison, consisting of local buses and a nascent bus rapid transit system but Mr. Leary expects Viva’s growth to be a game changer.

“I think it’s going to greatly improve the public perception of transit,” he says of the blue buses’ move from mixed traffic into their own lanes over the next three years.

“I shocked some of my friends,” admits the lifelong Bostonian of his move north.

He has only been in Markham for six weeks and intends to stay in the community he serves.

He was recently driven around Stouffville and told it was not so long ago that Markham similarly consisted of vast tracts of open farmland.

Mr. Leary thinks the region is already doing the right things by managing rapid growth.

The region has made transit planning a big part of its plans to intensify and curb sprawl and that holistic approach has impressed the transit community and excited Mr. Leary.

“It’s an area of North America that really takes transit seriously,” he says.

His main challenge will be convincing people to trade their cars for a ride on the bus and he sees the solution as simple as it would be for any business.

“You have to reach out and provide what the customer wants,” he says.

“That, for me, is going to be a lot of fun.”

However, less fun might be trading his beloved Boston Bruins and New England Patriots for the likes of the floundering Maple Leafs.

Used to finding tickets for his hometown team, Mr. Leary has already discovered the phenomenon by which the Leafs sell out, no matter how close to the league’s basement they are.

If he can make YRT that hot a ticket in the coming years he’ll have accomplished what brought him here in the first place.