York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

You don't want a folded maps much bigger than expected when it comes to paper size.

Those YRT booklets back in 2001 that had schedules and maps of EVERY single route in it were awesome actually. Imagine it as a route navigator times 50.

Too expensive to make, YRT discontinued them. :) Does anyone have one. Take a picture for us to see?

Those YRT booklets back in 2001 that had schedules and maps of EVERY single route in it were awesome actually. Imagine it as a route navigator times 50.

Too expensive to make, YRT discontinued them. :) Does anyone have one. Take a picture for us to see?

i had quite a few of these, but im not sure if i have them here, or if they are still at my previous residence. will take a peek later...... being that im ready for bed

I have one. I did take some poor shots a while ago:

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=180061 You'll see it nested in this gallery.

No offense, but I think the removal of the shuttle and express routes from the updated system map is a pretty bad idea. I think they should be re-introduced in future issues. Also, perhaps YRT could create a seperate shuttle and express map (some other transit systems do this; HART in Tampa Bay, FL is an example). I understand they may want to save paper and / or ink by not printing the shuttle and express routes on the map, but in my opinion, a system map should be designed to show the ENTIRE system.

I'll probably try to snag a copy of this new map for my personal records anyway, as I have almost every map YRT issed since 2001, including the pre-amalgamation stuff. Still, I believe that this was a bad move on YRT's part. I'll probably send them an e-mail about this as well.

I don't see why they didn't incorporate some of the routes into the new map. They made the distinction between weekday and weekend service, so why not for the express service and/or GO shuttles? They could have used a different line weight or colouring scheme to help differentiate them from the rest of the routes.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/652...e-gets-reprieve

GO bus route gets reprieve

GO poised to cancel local bus routes. The Route 64 York University GO Bus is among the routes on the chopping block. Staff photo/Mike Barrett

It may not please all riders, but GO Transit and York Region Transit have come up with new options to replace a pair of GO bus routes slated for cancellation.

GO Transit stirred plenty of rider opposition two weeks ago when it announced plans to cease its Newmarket 62 B service, which runs along Yonge Street between Newmarket and York Mills Road, and its route 64 York University bus as of April 5 and 26, respectively.

Hundreds of displeased transit users turned out for a meeting organized by Newmarket-Aurora MPP Frank Klees in Aurora last week to voice their displeasure at being forced to use YRT/Viva instead of GO Transit, which would mean higher costs and longer commutes.

Following the meeting, Mr. Klees met with Metrolinx, GO Transit and YRT staff to push for better alternatives for affected riders.

GO Transit and YRT have since hammered out a joint agreement that will see GO’s route 62 service continue on a reduced basis, with 12 trips becoming five, until June 25, when five new Viva Blue trips will be introduced along Yonge. The buses will bypass various stops, including the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, and take about 60 minutes to get to Finch Station.

YRT also has plans to institute new service from Newmarket to York University that will pass through all of the municipalities served by GO’s route 64.

“I’m very pleased with what is a compromise solution, but one, I think addresses most of the concerns that were raised by GO Transit’s riders,” Mr. Klees said.

“The agreement to extend GO Transit service until the end of June is a welcome compromise in addition to the commitment by YRT to duplicate the (GO Transit) service to York University.”

YRT general manager Rick Leary said the hope is that riders will barely notice the switch from 62 B to five new Viva Blue trips as even the schedules will remain the same. As for riders of the 64 York University bus, a more detailed plan is in the works, he said.

“I can assure you that York University students will not be forgotten and that we will come up with a solution that they will be very happy with,” Mr. Leary said.

“After all, youth make up a very large percentage of our ridership.”

During the public meeting, some GO Transit users said the switch to YRT/Viva would lead to their transportation costs jumping by as much as $100 per month.

As of March 20, the cost of a GO Transit adult monthly pass from Newmarket to North York will be $205 while students will pay $161 and displaced GO Transit users will have a number of fare options available to them, Mr. Leary explained.

Two-zone monthly passes are $15 and can get riders to York University via Viva Blue and Purple, he said.

Transit users can also make use of GTA weekly passes that allow riders south of Bloomington Road to ride the TTC and other local transit systems for $52.

“We don’t intend to leave anybody behind,” Mr. Leary said. “We want to grow our ridership.”

However Aurora’s Edward Fenner said he isn’t impressed with the solutions that have come back so far.

Having a YRT bus replace the GO Transit route solves one problem, but doesn’t begin to address increased costs or comfort and safety issues raised, the York University staff member and mature student said. When the route 64 bus was introduced, it was a big step forward for York students, staff and faculty, he said, but what’s proposed now seems like a leap backwards.

“If they’re emulating the current route, that solves part of the problem, but it alleviates none of the cost issues,” Mr. Fenner said.

“I don’t think this is very satisfactory (and) we’ll need some time to digest it.”

For now, however, riders should take the latest developments as a victory, Mr. Klees said, especially when compared to what was originally on the table.

YRT has also offered to give a loyalty incentive of two free monthly passes to current GO Transit monthly pass holders who use the Newmarket 62 B service, he said, adding he will keep on top of the situation.

Beyond that, he encouraged anyone who still had concerns to contact him.

“I think the response is a significant win for us,” Mr. Klees said.

“It’s not a perfect solution and it will require some adjustments and some changes on the part of the riders, but this is a significant improvement over what was originally contemplated by GO Transit and YRT.”

While YRT still doesn't compare to TTC (and probably never will), it's nice to at least see an ATTEMPT to please passengers, and the part about the General Manager of YRT offering for anyone still with concerns to contact him.. now THAT is customer service.

I have the one from September 2002...interesting to see all the service changes since then and how many routes were cut back with the creation of Viva Blue/98 Yonge North...WOW No Sunday Servie on Route 107C

Guest GRT Kid
They don't cost you squat. They can easily be found on the map racks in the vehicles themselves.
no.. these ones are hard to come by. Best bet drop by YRT head office at 50 High Tech (Yonge/High Tech - Highway 7 area). Tell them you are visiting what can they give you for souvenirs, and also ask specifically for the new map. That's my suggestion to you.

Ok, thanks ! And those 'Route Navigators' ... can I find those on buses too ?

Well, atleast there is the possibility of a Newmarket - York U YRT route. Sure, it won't be as comfortable as a GO bus, but I'll take it.

My only other concerns are seating/crowding during peak periods (such as the 7 PM northbound), and duplication of 107. If passengers switch over to this new route instead of 107, it would slow down the route more so than before, increasing the trip time.

Well, atleast there is the possibility of a Newmarket - York U YRT route. Sure, it won't be as comfortable as a GO bus, but I'll take it.

My only other concerns are seating/crowding during peak periods (such as the 7 PM northbound), and duplication of 107. If passengers switch over to this new route instead of 107, it would slow down the route more so than before, increasing the trip time.

And in turn warranting more service! <_<

As long as it does not become a Viva route...

GO Transit and YRT have since hammered out a joint agreement that will see GO’s route 62 service continue on a reduced basis, with 12 trips becoming five, until June 25, when five new Viva Blue trips will be introduced along Yonge. The buses will bypass various stops, including the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, and take about 60 minutes to get to Finch Station.

Ummm... Excuse me??? 5 new trips??? and EXPRESS trips at that???

unless that has been written wrong... meaning the GO buses are bypassing stops and RHC... as they already do...

Ummm... Excuse me??? 5 new trips??? and EXPRESS trips at that???

unless that has been written wrong... meaning the GO buses are bypassing stops and RHC... as they already do...

The article isn't describing new GO trips.

These 5 trips will be new VIVA Blue Express trips replacing GO's Newmarket B.

Well, as a driver, We have heard nothing about these EXPRESS Trips yet.... that s why I am Confused....

Arent drivers always the last to know? (this happens at TTC and other transit agencies a lot, so I'm not surprised that its happened to VIVA people)

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Vaughan Mills shuttle will operate again this year from Toronto Union station (NOT operated by YRT, but by the mall itself)?

You may recall last summer that I went to Vaughan Mills - using the slow method:

1) I took the 94 Yorkdale GO bus to York Mills.

2) Transfer to the Northbound Yonge subway train to Finch.

3) Boarded the VIVA blue to 16th-Carville.

4) Transfered to the 85/85A Rutherford YRT bus.

5) Got off at the bus loop at Vaughan Mills.

Many people asked me to take the shuttle from Toronto Union because it is free. The problem is - it only operates two trips per direction per day. Using the slow method provides me on getting to my destination on my "own terms". It also provides me an experience on what the VIVA service looks like.

any opinions?

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Vaughan Mills shuttle will operate again this year from Toronto Union station (NOT operated by YRT, but by the mall itself)?

You may recall last summer that I went to Vaughan Mills - using the slow method:

Many people asked me to take the shuttle from Toronto Union because it is free. The problem is - it only operates two trips per direction per day. Using the slow method provides me on getting to my destination on my "own terms". It also provides me an experience on what the VIVA service looks like.

any opinions?

Depending on where you get on, I think taking that Yorkdale GO bus to Yorkdale, then taking the subway to Downsview, Viva orange, and then route 20 is fater. It's even faster during rush hours when you have the 360 running.

Depending on where you get on, I think taking that Yorkdale GO bus to Yorkdale, then taking the subway to Downsview, Viva orange, and then route 20 is fater. It's even faster during rush hours when you have the 360 running.

But is it more convenient? The Shuttle should take about 25-35 minutes running time right from Downtown Toronto, and you don't have to get off/transfer to another vehicle/pay any additional fares. Vaughan Mills is offering a free service to get people from Toronto to their mall to shop (and back), it would seem silly not to use it if you're travelling to the mall. If you want to stay longer, alternatives such as YRT 360, the YRT 20 & TTC or VIVA to Downsview, or the "long way home" routing exist.

If one is arriving at York Mills or Yorkdale, then it may add additional time and effort to take the subway down to downtown. In which case, a shorter route by local transit may prove to be quicker (but likely more of a hassle and more expensive).

any opinions?

I'd take it you're coming from the Durham region. If it was me and I had to do the trip here's my route

Weekdays

1. GO Transit routes 95 or 96 to Finch GO Terminal

2. VIVA Blue to Rutherford / 16th

3. YRT Route 85 to Vaughan Mills Mall

Weekends

1. GO Transit Route 94 to Yorkdale Terminal

2. Subway to Downsview Stn

3. TTC 196 or VIVA Orange to York U

4. YRT Route 20 to Vaughan Mills Mall

If you use the GO Train to Union Stn you can use the Vaughan Mills Shuttle Bus for free. But as you've said the service is very limited and you're pretty much working with the Shuttle bus schedule to get a ride back to Union.

Sorry... Have to interrupt the ongoing discussion here...

I was going to e-mail YRT about re-routing the Viva routes in Markham, but I want to discuss if this is do-able before e-mailing them... so I wanna get your opinions...

Enterprise Drive (the road Viva is using right now passing through Downtown Markham) used to end at Rivis Road... so the Viva buses are forced to use Rivis Road then YMCA Boulevard to exit to Kennedy Road.

Well, ever since late 2009, Enterprise Drive is now connected with Unionville Gate, and directly connects to Kennedy Road... I was wondering if the Viva buses could utilize this new Enterprise Drive alignment, instead of diving south on Rivis, then back north on Kennedy. It'll save some travelling time... I think that bump right now is unnecessary...

This way, I shall also propose an extra vivastation, pending named Rivis, be constructed at the current intersection of Rivis and Enterprise.

So I was going to propose that Viva Purple and Viva Green will both route via Enterprise Drive through Unionville Gate to Kennedy Road, servicing Rivis Vivastation, but Viva Pink will keep its current alignment, servicing Rivis Road and YMCA Boulevard (Enterprise Vivastation). Or alternatively, relocate Enterprise Vivastation to Rivis and Enterprise. All 3 Viva routes will serve this stop.

The only concern is... Viva Purple and Viva Green riders might have to walk a longer distance from the Unionville YMCA facility and Unionville GO Station. After checking with Google Maps, the relocation of Enterprise Vivastation (or creation of a new Vivastation) will result in a 2 minute walk (as opposed to ~ 45 seconds right now) from the YMCA facility, and a 5 minute walk (as opposed to 3 minutes right now) from Unionville GO Station. The relocation will still keep the walking distance from both destinations below 500 m (as per YRT's standards)

So what do all of you think? Shall this relocation be valid?