TTC in the news

buschic

TTC celebrates accessibility at St Patrick Station

March 4, 2019

Tomorrow, Mayor John Tory will join TTC Chair Jaye Robinson, Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 13 Toronto Centre) and Mazin Aribi, Chair of the TTC's Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit, to officially celebrate the completion of accessibility upgrades at St Patrick Station, the 45th accessible TTC subway station.

Date:            Tues., March 5, 2019
Time:           10:30 a.m.
Location:        Concourse level next to Collector's Booth, St Patrick Station on Line 1.

St Patrick Station now features a barrier-free path to all levels of the station, including:

-       New accessible entrance and two elevators to access the street, concourse and platform levels.
-       Accessible fare gates.
-       Improved signage.

Accessibility improvements such as these support the TTC's Family of Services model, which gives Wheel-Trans customers the option to use accessible conventional transit services, such as buses, the subway and the growing fleet of low-floor streetcars. Family of Services is a part of the Wheel-Trans 10-Year Strategy that aims to re-imagine and transform the accessible public transit services that are delivered to customers with disabilities.

The TTC is committed to becoming accessible by 2025 under its Easier Access Program.

Seven other stations are under construction for further accessibility: Dupont, Royal York, Wellesley, Yorkdale, Wilson, Runnymede and Chester.

From today's Toronto Star:

TTC officers have collected more than 40,000 records on riders who weren’t charged with an offence

Of course the star's hyping up the racial minority angle like they usually do but there are legitimate privacy concerns here.  Information security comes to mind first and foremost.  What measures has the TTC taken to ensure the safety of that 40,000 record database?  From inappropriate/unauthorized internal misuse?  From external hacking threats?  From accidental disclosure of data?  I got a letter in the mail that my personal information was on a hard drive on a stolen computer and the business that was responsible for that stumped for some credit protection.  What policies are there governing data sharing?  Remember the news from a couple of years ago about people being denied entry to the US on the basis of non-arrest police database records that had been shared.  There have also been articles in the news about people having job offers revoked over non-arrest data in police databases in recent years too.

The retention period is another issue.  I think it's a fair working assumption that pretty much any database with a 20 year record retention policy is going to span several generations of hardware and software so as the database is migrated forward over time, are obsolete data files going to be securely destroyed?  What measures are in place to ensure that records are securely destroyed upon the arrival of the 20 year expiration period for individual entries?  Is TTC hosting this database internally or has it been farmed out to a cloud computing service?  If external, have the security implications of that been addressed?  Are there service provider terms and conditions that affect privacy and confidentiality of the data?  What about laws pertaining to that based on the jurisdiction where the service provider and/or the data storage is located?

Outside of that, what are the TTC's policies on when, where, why data is to be collected and the same for access and use internally?

There are a lot of unanswered questions here and I have serious misgivings about this considering the problems that have arisen from non-arrest data in police databases especially considering that law enforcement is not the TTC's primary mandate and the TTC is subject to far less scrutiny and accountability in this regard.'

For example, the last thing I want to see is some 15 year old bus fan getting in shit for taking pictures from the sidewalk and having it torpedo their job applications until they're 35 courtesy of the 20 year data retention period or anybody else who's had a contact card filed over something trivial have their personal information exposed if there's a data breach, or someone else end up on file over nothing due to an overzealous or unprofessional special constable considering the checkered history that department has.  Unfortunately, by characterizing this as a racial minority issue with minimal other scope, the Toronto Star has left a lot of very serious questions not only unanswered but unasked, and I for one would wish the people at 1 Yonge St. would get back to doing factual journalism instead of being social justice warriors and turn out newpapers instead of birdcage liners.

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Frod will just legislate back the deadline. Problem solved.

That would be about the minimum I'd expect and least harmful.  I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the starting point for this government to do something even more regressive and nasty regarding accessibility.

14 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

That would be about the minimum I'd expect and least harmful.  I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the starting point for this government to do something even more regressive and nasty regarding accessibility.

I think you're being just a little too dramatic now. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Are they?

There's not a single other province that has anything like the accessibility legislation that we have, for any date. I wouldn't be surprised if our legislation was brought in line with the lower standard in other provinces.

Surely simply delaying the implementation date is relatively good news, rather than reducing the standard.

TTC themselves seem relatively on-track to meet the legislation - or at least be very close behind. The bigger issue is in other areas. It's still hard to find restaurants in parts of town where there aren't stairs to access the restrooms - for example.

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

45 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

They'll find themselves on the receiving end of lawsuits and human rights complaints if they tried to roll back any legislation to do with people with disabilities.

Well, considering the track record of the Fords to date in Queen's Park and city hall, I don't think so.  Governments at all levels get hauled into court pretty frequently so it'll hardly be the first or last time an advocacy group takes the provincial government to court over a real or perceived wrong.

They'll find themselves on the receiving end of lawsuits and human rights complaints if they tried to roll back any legislation to do with people with disabilities.

On what grounds? If such ground existed, why don't we see it applied in other provinces, where there is not similar legislation?

They'll certainly get massive public backlash ... as we've seen on the autism file.

I'm not saying they are going to do this ... I'm simply not thinking it's overly dramatic to ponder that they might do it.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:14 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Of course the star's hyping up the racial minority angle like they usually do

Probably because *gasp* racial discrimination exists.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:14 PM, Wayside Observer said:

I for one would wish the people at 1 Yonge St. would get back to doing factual journalism instead of being social justice warriors and turn out newpapers instead of birdcage liners.

Infowars is that way----> 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

Probably because *gasp* racial discrimination exists.

Infowars is that way----> 

Absolutely it exists.  The problem is, from that newspaper's take on things, you'd think it's the only problem in the world that exists apart from climate change.  Personally, I can do without the fringe element websites just as much as I can do without the fringe element newspapers because I'm one of those middle of the road guys that isn't really represented anymore.  Cue the long list of issues I wrote up of which none have been addressed, still.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Absolutely it exists.  The problem is, from that newspaper's take on things, you'd think it's the only problem in the world that exists apart from climate change.  

If you only ever see stories about racism and climate change on the Toronto Star, what you are really telling everyone is you don't look at the Star often!

Let's pick up today's paper for an example (and I say this not having checked yet what I will find!)

Big story on the front (and the next 3 pages) is Ethiopan Airlines crash. Futher up is the new OPP chief. And yes, as mentioned, there's the TTC aritcle in question. As well as a box about the SNC-Lavalin scandal. Then we have stories about the new autism funding from Ontario, federal language law review, marijuana workers, Canadian prisoners in China, the opinions page, Brexit, and dog sledding. In the GTA section it starts with the police targeting agressive drivers, modern architecture, and toboggan injuries. I see no stories about climate change, and no other stories about racism. I don't recall any racism stories this month (though I don't read it cover-to-cover). Poking through the other 3 sections in today's paper, I don't see anything either.

I'm not sure why you'd both acknowledge racism exists, but so be so hostile about the only recent story about it while misrepresenting the contents of the local newspaper!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

And yet nobody has addressed any of the points I brought up, starting with the point that there are a whole lot of points to be made about the TTC's carding practices and not just one.  I guess the conclusion to be drawn there is that nobody's all that concerned.

Personally my eyes were opened the day the black kid got tackled and assaulted by cops for suspicion of fare evasion. Regardless of who the victims are of this practice, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, apathetic country/city as this is, this article will probably get passed around a couple times on twitter and get memory holed. Not even the thought of court proceedings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Personally my eyes were opened the day the black kid got tackled and assaulted by cops for suspicion of fare evasion. Regardless of who the victims are of this practice, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, apathetic country/city as this is, this article will probably get passed around a couple times on twitter and get memory holed. Not even the thought of court proceedings.

Mine were too.  I'm wondering if there might actually be court proceedings involved though. The whole incident has never been adequately explained and that may be due to how nobody involved can comment due to it being before the courts still.  Or it might not be which would be unfortunate If the silence surrounding it is due to something less than risking prejudicing the legal process.  That incident is an unfortunate example of my concerns about mandate, oversight and accountability of the TTC's in house law enforcement operations which, as I said, have had a checkered history and that history, that established record is because of incidents like this and they are deeply concerning.

To be clear about me slagging the Toronto Star, the university I went to eons ago had a campus readership program where the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail were both distributed for free and I read both every day. Both were pretty reasonably down the centre with the Star leaning a bit left and the G & M a bit to the right. The National Post and Toronto Sun didn't participate but from having read them occasionally, they were always pretty far off to the right. Over the intervening time, the Globe and Mail has shifted a bit more to the right, the Star has made a hard left, and the National Post and Toronto Sun have gone hard right and a lot of their content overlaps now, probably due to the newsroom merger that took place under Post Media ownership.

At the same time, newspapers have generally become a lot thinner.  A lot of the time, articles have become a lot shorter and I've hit the bottom of columns of text and wondered where they continue because stories seem to abruptly end instead of coming to their natural conclusion, and there seems to be a lot less distinction in terms of keeping editorial separated from the reporting.  This is where I take issues with the Toronto Star or any publication doing journalism on a single issue basis where multiple issues clearly exist, advancing an editorial position at the expense of under reporting the whole gamut of facts involved.  For an opposite end of the spectrum example, the right leaning media was just as guilty of doing this when the Alberta government began running large deficits around the time the NDP was elected at the same time as oil prices collapsed and the editorial slant was that none of this would have happened had a conservative government been elected, as if Rachel Notley being voted in was singlehandedly responsible for tanking world oil markets almost overnight without any discussion of any of the other factors involved, and everyone who knows me remembers how I bitterly complaimed about that going on at the time.  But it stems from my dissatisfaction with the state if the media these days, and that I really want to see a big improvement to the signal to noise ratio that's gotten pretty bad.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Mine were too.  I'm wondering if there might actually be court proceedings involved though. The whole incident has never been adequately explained and that may be due to how nobody involved can comment due to it being before the courts still.  Or it might not be which would be unfortunate If the silence surrounding it is due to something less than risking prejudicing the legal process.  That incident is an unfortunate example of my concerns about mandate, oversight and accountability of the TTC's in house law enforcement operations which, as I said, have had a checkered history and that history, that established record is because of incidents like this and they are deeply concerning.

To be clear about me slagging the Toronto Star, the university I went to eons ago had a campus readership program where the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail were both distributed for free and I read both every day. Both were pretty reasonably down the centre with the Star leaning a bit left and the G & M a bit to the right. The National Post and Toronto Sun didn't participate but from having read them occasionally, they were always pretty far off to the right. Over the intervening time, the Globe and Mail has shifted a bit more to the right, the Star has made a hard left, and the National Post and Toronto Sun have gone hard right and a lot of their content overlaps now, probably due to the newsroom merger that took place under Post Media ownership.

At the same time, newspapers have generally become a lot thinner.  A lot of the time, articles have become a lot shorter and I've hit the bottom of columns of text and wondered where they continue because stories seem to abruptly end instead of coming to their natural conclusion, and there seems to be a lot less distinction in terms of keeping editorial separated from the reporting.  This is where I take issues with the Toronto Star or any publication doing journalism on a single issue basis where multiple issues clearly exist, advancing an editorial position at the expense of under reporting the whole gamut of facts involved.  For an opposite end of the spectrum example, the right leaning media was just as guilty of doing this when the Alberta government began running large deficits around the time the NDP was elected at the same time as oil prices collapsed and the editorial slant was that none of this would have happened had a conservative government been elected, as if Rachel Notley being voted in was singlehandedly responsible for tanking world oil markets almost overnight without any discussion of any of the other factors involved, and everyone who knows me remembers how I bitterly complaimed about that going on at the time.  But it stems from my dissatisfaction with the state if the media these days, and that I really want to see a big improvement to the signal to noise ratio that's gotten pretty bad.

I could have sworn they dismantled the "TTC cops" years back. One day they were here and then they were nought. This kind of thing is happening the world over. Just total out of control behaviour of law enforcement and if you don't like it you're "anti police" (whatever that implies).

I think people should report the news like (da da daaaaa!) a journalist! I have never seen such piss poor writing as I've seen on news sites in the past decade or so. Just report the damn news and get your facts straight. The end reader doesn't care about the authors political affiliations unless the reader is in need of validation of their own. It's that type of thing which enables the media to shape society with narratives that tickle the ears of any readers which share their biases. Innocent until proven guilty should not be a left/right issue. This is about corrupt, overbearing law enforcement compensating for laziness in policing, stupidity and perhaps other things too.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Remember the news from a couple of years ago about people being denied entry to the US on the basis of non-arrest police database records that had been shared.  There have also been articles in the news about people having job offers revoked over non-arrest data in police databases in recent years too. […]

There are a lot of unanswered questions here and I have serious misgivings about this considering the problems that have arisen from non-arrest data in police databases especially considering that law enforcement is not the TTC's primary mandate and the TTC is subject to far less scrutiny and accountability in this regard.'[…]

For example, the last thing I want to see is some 15 year old bus fan getting in shit for taking pictures from the sidewalk and having it torpedo their job applications until they're 35 courtesy of the 20 year data retention period or anybody else who's had a contact card filed over something trivial have their personal information exposed if there's a data breach, or someone else end up on file over nothing due to an overzealous or unprofessional special constable considering the checkered history that department has.  

Fortunately, we now have legislation in Ontario that spells out exactly what the police can and cannot disclose in a records check. Google 'Police Record Checks Reform Act". It was actually the investigation in the Toronto Star a few years ago that spurred the provincial government to take action. Notwithstanding that it took an unacceptably long time from passing the legislation at Queens Park to actually proclaiming it, the law is now in force. It is basically impossible for something like this to show up in any kind of records check for employment or other purposes.

I work in a field that requires vulnerable sector checks frequently and I have seen all kinds of trivialities showing up in police checks over the years. Even worse,  there were no uniform guidelines on what to release and under what circumstances, so each police agency in the province used their discretion about what to include in the record. So yes, this used to be a problem, but not anymore - at least, not in Ontario.

The issue with border crossing into the US is slightly different. The US border guards have access to the CPIC database managed by the RCMP. The US border absolutely does not have access to street carding data, occurrence reports, police interactions not resulting in charges and other records stored locally by each police agency in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada, because this information is not in CPIC. The CPIC database includes information mainly on criminal charges , and a few other things, including suicide attempts. The CPIC entries must meet strict quality standards, regardless of which police force enters the information  - in other words, police forces cannot enter in CPIC whatever they feel like it. And the process is fair (for example, a criminal charge that has been dismissed/withdrawn/stayed etc. can be removed by filling a standard request. Absolute and conditional discharges will only show up for a limited time before they are automatically deleted - or rather, 'made invisible' to most law enforcement agencies).  However, even though the CPIC entries are standardized, each police agency in Ontario has different guidelines that they use when deciding whether to enter attempted suicide information in CPIC. This was a major point of contention when the bill that gave rise to the current legislation on police record checks was being drafted, because there were Canadians who attempted suicide and were deemed a flight risk by the US border guards due to their CPIC information. While the new Ontario legislation itself does not cover this particular situation, it is now possible for a person who has attempted suicide to check with his/her local police agency whether any info about the suicide attempt has been entered into CPIC, and if so, they can request that the information be deleted. Based on my experience, in the vast majority of cases, the police agency will comply.

To cut a long story short, if you have your info placed in a TTC database and you are not charged with anything, an occurrence report is filed. But it will not deny you any employment/educational/travel opportunity, even in the (highly) unlikely event that the information is shared with your local police agency.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

Apparently, that TTC bus involved in the crash is 1665.  Heard stories from a few Malvern drivers while I was on the 85 SHEPPARD EAST bus.

Let's make this clear right now. There are no stories, just speculation. 

It's definitely bus 1665. CBC posted a photo of it in a news article almost 18 hours ago.

scarborough-ttc-bus-crash-two-houses.jpg

The article says that the accident happened at the corner of Grackle Trail and Oasis Boulevard at 1:35 AM - which matches the Transee data, showing the bus stopped moving at that location at that time.

• Like 1