Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

On 10/21/2023 at 6:23 AM, GORDOOM said:

Still seeing lots of 4-car Mark I consists on the Expo. Just a maintenance backlog at Edmonds? Or is there something specific?

Last I checked there were a couple of 4-car consists with most having been restored to 6-car (after an earlier shortage), but am not aware in case it has changed again recently.

25 minutes ago, Express691 said:

This looks to be resolved; haven’t seen one yet (albeit they aren’t everywhere unlike last week).

Definitely. Did a roundtrip yesterday (Sunday) and it is largely 6-cars on the line and saw only two 4-car sets (one of which was in the Scott Road pocket track rather than in service), not sure what happens in peak times but off-peak capacity seems largely normalized.

We have new G5 shuttles incoming. 23651 was just spotted at Dynamic Bus in Surrey, initially in plain white but now in full TL livery (possibly wrapped to make debranding easier upon retirement?). These seem to be replacements for the retiring G5s, and I’m not sure if they’re for CMBC or First Transit.

What’s most interesting is that it’s on a Ford Econoline 450 chassis rather than the usual Chevy Express 4500, for the first time in nearly two decades as far as shuttles are concerned. I also think these are the first new G5s we’ve gotten in a while but I haven’t really been paying attention to shuttles in recent years.

I thought one of the reasons why they ditched the Econoline in the past was an issue where their frames were cracking under the additional torque created by the induction brakes, but then I’m not sure if Ford has made improvements to the chassis since then, or if recent shuttles have even been fitted with those.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 503FraserHwy said:

I have a great feeling this unit isn't going to be around for much longer 

Its literally out again today, its to be expected after a three year hiatus that minor issues would need to be corrected after its first day out again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Years? More like decades (if it even existed in the first place which I don’t think it even did)

You could see from the platform where they filled in the staircase that used to lead up to the platform from the south side of the station. Yes decade's ago would be correct. Sometime in the early 2000s 

4 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

You could see from the platform where they filled in the staircase that used to lead up to the platform from the south side of the station. Yes decade's ago would be correct. Sometime in the early 2000s 

I lived near gateway station for much of 1997–2005 and don’t really remember a second entrance ever being there. Perhaps some images may help.

I do recognize the inconsistent tile patterns at that part of the station though