CN Locos

A. Wong

They are suppost to still be running between Edmonton and Fort Mac. IIRC CN was looking at converting 2 or 4 SD70M-2's as well.

Never heard anything about that. Would they modify new engines?

Never heard anything about that. Would they modify new engines?

I would have to look into it as it may be BNSF I forgot where I read it but it would be modified units not built from new. If its BNSF then it would be SD70ACE's

Sorry its BNSF http://www.bnsf.com/employees/communications/bnsf-news/2013/march/2013-03-06-a.html

I would have to look into it as it may be BNSF I forgot where I read it but it would be modified units not built from new. If its BNSF then it would be SD70ACE's

Sorry its BNSF http://www.bnsf.com/...13-03-06-a.html

Ok, that makes more sense as I can't see CN rebuilding new engines when they are still conducting the experiment on the SD40-2(W)'s. I have to admit would have been cool to see!!!

CANADIAN NATIONAL ORDERS FOUR LNG TENDERS: Innovations Inc.,today announced the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) tender product solution with an order for four tenders from Canadian National Railway (CN) (CNR.TO) (CNI). The first tender to supply fuel to an adjacent natural-gas powered locomotive will be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013. "There is growing consensus around the enormous potential of using LNG as a fuel for locomotives and there is a clear path for the industry to achieve this shift to a cleaner, cheaper and domestically available fuel," said Nicholas Sonntag , Executive Vice-President at Westport. "The Westport LNG Tender leverages our substantial expertise in LNG storage, cryogenic systems, and natural gas fuel delivery for mobile applications to create a product that will immediately help railroads to validate the value of LNG in their operations today, with a built-in upgrade pathway to the next-generation locomotives coming over the next few years." "CN is testing natural gas locomotives and Westport's experience in providing LNG solutions for transportation makes it the natural partner for us," said Gerry Weber , CN Vice-President Supply, Fleet and Fuel Management. "These tenders will be used immediately with our dual fuel locomotives in mainline service, allowing CN to continue to explore this technology as a means to advance the company's sustainability agenda and improve environmental emissions." Westport is collaborating with INOXCVA, a leading manufacturer of cryogenic transportation equipment, on these tenders. Westport and INOXCVA have entered into an agreement for cryogenic systems to be able to rapidly meet the near-term demand in the rail industry. Westport has also been collaborating with Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) since June 2012 to co-develop natural gas technology for Caterpillar products, including the next generation of locomotives. The first high pressure direct injection (HPDI) locomotive will be demonstrated in 2014 through a consortium program funded by Sustainable Technology Development Canada in partnership with Canadian National Railway, Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD, a subsidiary of Progress Rail Services, a Caterpillar company), and Gaz Metro. Caterpillar and Westport are combining technologies and expertise, including Westportâ„¢ HPDI technology and Caterpillar's industry leading off-road engine and machine product technology, to develop these new natural gas products. Commercial production of HPDI locomotives by EMD is expected in 2017. (CN - posted 6/05/13)

• 2 weeks later...

A somewhat odd spotting at the CP Alyth yard in S.E. Calgary, but not as rare as spotting a BNSF loco, was this Coal train with CN power at both ends. I am not sure if there was any mid trail DPU power or not.

9078008895_d15b43fca7_n.jpg

150613-6749cn8831 by busdrawings, on Flickr

9078008663_23c140664f_n.jpg

150613-6784cn8821 by busdrawings, on Flickr

9078008811_5d3e9fe187_n.jpg

150613-6785cn8889 by busdrawings, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

Some photos from today. If anyone wants full resolution photos for their website, let me know!

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

With CN 8890 with Illinois Central 1021:

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

IMG_6470.JPG

This one looks like ex-CN, now operated by CNAX? (Canac):

IMG_6420.JPG

I saw a cool sight yesterday on the CP Cascade Sub in Mission BC. CN 5533 proudly displaying her zebra stripes was leading an eastbound freight with the help of Illinois Central 1007. I only wish I could've captured a photo of it. Unfortunately I found myself following it as I was driving eastbound on Highway 7 and couldn't get to a good spot to capture a photo in time. That was the first time I've ever seen an eastbound CN freight that had obviously come through CP's Port Coquitlam Yards.

Guessing the SW1200 is 7304? (Sorry somewhat new to rail fanning so I'm not sure all the different models)

I shot that on March 11, 2012 in pretty much the same spot. Guessing it'll go to the scrappers eventually.

CN 7304 by awstott, on Flickr

That or be put up in one of CN's auctions for resale, if it hasn't already been resold.

Maybe OSR needs another SW1200RS ;)