Emergency Vehicles

Saskatoon, SK has ordered 13 new Police Patrol cars (Ford) and awarded the new Heavy Rescue truck to Rocky Mountain Pheonix

Vancouver, BC has a used Police Boat up for sale, reserve bid 80k

Toronto, ON has tendered for a Heavy Rescue truck (Spartan chassis preferred)

Thats not surprise for Toronto as they have been doing for Spartan chassis for the past 3-4 years now

Not a bad idea after seeing all the different types of apparatus they inherited in the amalgamation a few years back.

They did mention Spartan but did not rule out equivilants. They do have quite a few American Lafrance Eagles (love their lines) that would qualify and maintain some commonality.

That being said KME, HME, Pearce and E-One would probably also qualify if the price was right!

The American Lafrance fleet was from the Old city of Toronto (Downtown) but with a Spartan chassis that means anybody can get it for the right price since all builders have at one time at least used a Spartan chassis even tho some is less common

Apparently Hamilton Emergency Services has placed an order for several Paramedic Response units and several Paramedic Ambulances. I was told that the PRU's will now be ford expeditions instead of the Tahoes and the ambulances will now be from demers for the next 3 years. Does anyone know if they have arrived in Hamilton yet or when they might be delivered.

There are at least 2 new Demers at the shop. They are still white.

The 5 new Engines are being delivered in November.

Engine 6

Engine 7

Engine 11

Engine 21

Engine 24

They should be close in design as

Engine 3

Engine 8

Engine 17

There are at least 2 new Demers at the shop. They are still white.

The 5 new Engines are being delivered in November.

Engine 6

Engine 7

Engine 11

Engine 21

Engine 24

They should be close in design as

Engine 3

Engine 8

Engine 17

Thanks for the Information. I will have to try and get some pics once they are striped up.

Not that it matters to much but are they a different model than the 06/07 demers, for some reason Hamilton does not like to go with high visibility lighting packages that most other cities order.

CFD Platform 51 (a Rosenbauer-Metz T-Rex) has arrived, I followed it down the hill into Cochrane this afternoon. Didn't have my camera with me unfortunately, and they managed to get it parked inside before I got back there with my camera. Fairly large unit, will try to grab photos next time I spot it around.

Hamilton Fire has tendered for the

Supply and Delivery of a 24’ Mobile HazMat Decontamination Trailer

Hamilton Airport Fire has been working closely with Hamilton Fire. Hamilton Fire personnel have been working out there. The city has given money to add another CFR vehicle for the airport and with the help of Hamilton Fire the city through economic and development department has tendered for a new vehicle.

Tender for Supply and Delivery of One Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Vehicle for the Hamilton International Airport and Economic Development Department

2 of the 5 Engines are off the line at KME this week. They expect 4 of the 5 delivered within a month. The new Ladder 20 to be delivered by the end of November.

They are working on specs and tenders for 1 new ladder and replacement of Squad 1. 3 District Chief vehicles and the two Area Commanders vehicles will most likely be replaced with 4x4 Suburban’s. The Safety Officers vehicle will be replaced at the same time with a 4x4 - 4-door long box pick up. Presently the DC’s are driving Tahoe’s, AC’s and SO are driving Suburbans.

Official unveiling of CFD Platform 51 (being referred to as the first fully computerized aerial/platform fire truck in North America in the announcement in this weeks paper) is this Saturday at the new Cochrane Fire Hall (plus theres a free BBQ lunch :( ) if anyone is interested in seeing it. I will be there for sure. The truck itself has been getting used for training everyone on, the 100 foot reach of it works good to reach the upper levels of the hose tower on the fire hall.

Well I just got back from the firehall, got a few shots of the new fire truck:

CFD Platform 51

cfdplatform51-sept27-1.jpg

cfdplatform51-sept27-2.jpg

They were taking some of the kids and their parents up in the air

cfdplatform51-sept27-3.jpg

This is about 2/3 extended, the full reach at 100% extension is 100'

The truck is the first of its model delievered, and the one fire fighter who was there (I believe he was the assistant chief) that I was talking with said they've already been getting calls from other departments wanting to come take a look at the truck. Full computerization, GPS navigation in it. Moves really smoothly, and the basket can hold around 1200lbs in it (so 3 or 4 firefighters in full gear). Chestermere is next to get theirs, by middle of next year supposedly. Rosenbauer has a series of photo's of the CFD unit on their website now as well

And some of the other 2 units they had outside:

CFD Engine 51

cfd51en-sept27-1.jpg

CFD EMS 1505

cfd1505-sept27-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From a memo to Hamilton EMS staff about the Demers.

In our commitment to provide staff with the best equipment and vehicles available, we have recently taken delivery of four (4) new Demers MX160XTA Ambulances, another two (2) vehicles will be delivered later this year.

These vehicles are the most advanced Ambulances available on the Ontario market today which have several features not available on previous models, so I would like to provide an overview of these additions.

Driver's Compartment

Rear HVAC speed/ temperature control with auto mode can be operated from front and rear.

Controls are easily accessible and all in one area. They include:

• Primary/secondary Emergency Lights
  • Left, right and rear scene lights
  • Wig wags
  • Anti theft
  • Backing alarm mute
  • Amber only (located on rear)
  • AM, FM, and CD player, with rear patient compartment speakers
  • Remote and heated side mirrors.

The LCD screen located on the driver's console shows all the relative data related to temperature, ventilation, voltage of batteries, and the time of use of the vehicle. The temperature is raised or lowered by pushing the thermometer icon either up or down. The fan speed is operated in the same manner by pushing the fan icon either up or down. The driver's console has several switches which operate the outside scene lights and cab lights. These switches are labelled with icons; please familiarize yourself with their meaning. An information package which explains the function of the switches will be available at all stations as well as in the new Demers vehicles.

Lighting system

All lights are LED strobe type and flash independent of each other. When reversing, the two (2) rear amber lights will strobe, the large red brake light over the back doors will light when brakes are applied and the backing alarm will sound.

Exterior Compartments

• Vented Personal Paramedic Locker for personal belongings which lock when the other vehicle doors are locked. This locker is separate from the patient compartment reducing risk of contamination.
  • Exterior compartment for fracture boards/straps
  • Both rear doors have exterior handles
  • Blue chevron pattern across rear of vehicle for extra visibility
  • The rear doors are 3.5 inches taller, which is advantageous for our taller staff.
  • Be aware that this vehicle is 4 inches wider than the other ambulances, due to the mirrors.

Patient Compartment

• Interior headroom increased from 64 inches to 68 inches.
  • All cabinet windows have flip up frames for easier restocking and cleaning
  • NASA design fluorescent lights (4) with high/low intensity
  • Programmable timer (5, 10, 15 mins.) on LCD display for fluorescent and halogen dome lights to allow lighting when the vehicle is off.
  • Interior electric door lock/unlock switches (2) located near side and rear doors.
  • New suction pump with disposable canister. The suction switch on the console in the patient compartment must be activated for the suction to work.
  • Four (4) recessed / flexible IV hooks in ceiling
  • Additional receptacles – Four 12V DC , Three 110V AC
  • Two (2) recessed AM/FM speakers in patient compartment
  • Intercode switches - There are three (3) buttons, Red, Yellow and Green, when activated an alert will be sent to the drivers console alerting of a situation in the patient compartment. The use of the intercode system will be developed in conjunction with the health and safety committee.
  • ABS material which is prone to holding contamination has been replaced with powder coated aluminium which is easier to clean.
  • The patient compartment is equipped with an auxiliary heating unit which could be used in the event of a failure of the main heating system. The controls for the auxiliary heater are located on the rear control console. The engine must be running for this heating unit to be activated.

If you have any questions regarding this vehicle, please contact a supervisor.