2012 40' Low Floor Bus Order

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

I guess it's just one of those little mysteries... like why Vancouver's New Flyers from 1995-2005 all use Storm-Tite sliding windows compared to the current ones that open inwards, and BC Transit has always used the ones opening inwards.

Remember that for many years, the West Vancouver System was operated by the BC Transit Small Communities System out of Victoria. Though I forget when it was changed over to be operated by the Vancouver Regional Transit System. Also, remember, Vancouver was still BC Transit when the first several orders of D40LF's were ordered and delivered. So the point where you indicate that BC Transit has always used the "ones opening inwards" is a moot point since Vancouver's were delivered the small sliding sash windows. That spec would have been a Vancouver Regional Transit System (Which is part of BC Transit) spec to have that style of windows on the D40LF's.

Apparently it is too expensive.

I wonder if it will be considered 'too expensive' to repaint the newer fleet when it comes time for their refurbishing then? So I find the fact that it is too expensive to be an odd excuse.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if it will be considered 'too expensive' to repaint the newer fleet when it comes time for their refurbishing then? So I find the fact that it is too expensive to be an odd excuse.

There's the design on additional labour.

As I know that those buses equipped EPA2010 engine are ad-blue required [iSL9 featured Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology], I think Translink must build the facilities for them as well~~

Not much difference, all they need the UREA facility tank inside the garage!

http://www.winnipegf...-163000916.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Business briefs

By: Staff Writer

Posted: 1:00 AM

New Flyer's TransLink deal

Bus manufacturer New Flyer Industries Inc. (TSX:NFI) said it has secured a $28-million contract to provide buses for Vancouver's TransLink with the possibility of future orders as the transit provider works to accommodate an influx of ridership.

Winnipeg-based New Flyer said Wednesday it has received an initial order of 42 buses from Vancouver's South Coast British Columbia Transportation and the contract provides for up to 87 buses.

The buses, which will be delivered to operators West Vancouver Transit and Richmond Transit, will be ready in the fourth quarter of 2012 and the first half of 2013.

"TransLink has done an outstanding job of promoting and growing transit services for the residents of Metro Vancouver," said Paul Soubry, New Flyer's president and chief executive officer. "TransLink and New Flyer have a long working relationship, with over 70 per cent of TransLink's fleet consisting of New Flyer buses. This is our first order from Vancouver since 2008, and we are extremely proud to once again be selected to support TransLink."

New Flyer said the buses ordered have more forward-facing seats, bright interior LED lighting and low interior noise levels.

Article is the same for the Province:

http://www.theprovince.com/business/TransLink+spend+deal/6957121/story.html

$28million/42 buses = $666,666.67 (lots of 666!).

$28million/87 buses = $321,839.08

Xcelisors? That or a really beefed up D40LFR

I am satisfied that they are going with more forward facing seats. Some people complained about that face to face seating on the novas and that they dont like sitting only to look at another person face to face.

The face-to-face is fine, but it's the total lack of leg space that bothers me the most.

And more forward facing seats? I feel design they use right now on the DE40LFR and DE60LR is perfect with the bench seating in the back.

And more forward facing seats? I feel design they use right now on the DE40LFR and DE60LR is perfect with the bench seating in the back.

I find that perimeter seating in the rear creates more of a "party atmosphere" in the back when compared to the forward style of the pre-1999 D40LFs.

Chris Cassidy

• 3 months later...

I concur with the paint... I was hoping they'd not do this...

If anything they should like wrap/paint the front part with a little bit of charcoal...

I like the full-length roof fairings and the push bar doors though. =O

Also of note are the turn signals, as there's only one per wheel per side vs the two of before.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind sitting in one of these. Does anybody know when it's hitting the road? =O

I really don't like the livery. It looks 'incomplete' compared to the LFRs with the metallic dark grey in the middle.

My thoughts exactly.

I have to agree with you guys. Looks like crap without the charcoal. NovaBus can pull it off because... well its NovaBus.

- Bryan "Goggles"

Yess! :) So glad they have push bars. I hate the touch doors.

Looking at the photos carefully, they are still touch bars but they are not the physical ones, so there's going to be sensitivity problem.

So it seems to be the CLASS rear door doesn't work well.

So nice of them getting Alcoa wheels, a welcome change. Since they are stuck with ZF transmission, I can't see but what's that next to the shift push button on the drivers dashboard?

I have to agree with you guys. Looks like crap without the charcoal. NovaBus can pull it off because... well its NovaBus.

- Bryan "Goggles"

No, they can't pull it off. It still looks half-assed. You would think they would at least use dark gray paint even if they're too cheap for metallics.

No, they can't pull it off. It still looks half-assed. You would think they would at least use dark gray paint even if they're too cheap for metallics.

I don't know if it's a "too cheap" thing or just a "we didn't think about it" thing. The new shuttles have the mettalic charcoal paint....

Chris Cassidy