General FY Moments

Orion VIII

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's not a technical guide or anything of the sort, but its focus is to capture everything that British Railway ever owned, from nationalization up to the printing of the book. So it features a showcase of their own locos as well as anything which happened to come into their possession in 1948, including stock which only briefly ran in service, or didn't even run and was struck from their roster shortly afterwards.

I've never read too deeply on the ins and outs of what made their locos important (I have a surface level knowledge of most of the important stuff, like the A3s and A4s), but from a visual perspective I've always found the Standard 9F and Class 52 diesel to be particularly visually striking. And then there's the ex-LNER Peppercorn A1, which is probably my favourite locomotive ever. One day I'd like to travel to the UK and photograph Tornado in action, but that's sadly a few years away still.

If you can, getting a ride on an excursion train being hauled by the Tornado (it's an LNER design but a new build) one of the Peppercorn A4s that's still in steam, that's a treat for sure.  There is nowhere else can you ride a 90+ MPH steam train.  I don't know why, I've always thought there's something special about riding a northbound express flying up the tracks of the East Coast Mainline screaming through the countryside.  It's like you're flying along up to the top of the world.  It's amazing because for a place that's got twice the population of Canada crammed into an area the size of a small chunk of southern Ontario, some of the countryside is positively desolate and there's stretches where there's nothing but the occasional large bit of medieval construction or coal fired power plant large enough to see passing by in the distance but nothing else in sight.  At 90+ MPH speeds for the steam excursions or the full 125 MPH with an of HST power car at each end of the train thundering away, or a Class 91 on the north end cruising along itching to go a bit faster, you slam into tunnels and your ears pop from the air pressure change.  The downbound trips to London just aren't the same.  I've never been quite able to put my finger on why.

• Like 2

I've never really thought about it, just because my list of British Rail related bucket list items is so long, but I suppose riding behind a rail tour must be quite something, especially on a place like the ECML. When I was thinking about Tornado I always envisioned myself standing by the lineside and grabbing a shot but I'm sure there's got to be some place where the tour stops where I'd be able to get a decent pic without foregoing a ride on the train altogether.

Would that I could go for a visit right now -_-

On 10/24/2019 at 11:43 PM, captaintrolley said:

Bought a couple of these reusable / portable cutlery sets (great Christmas gift idea). Keep a set handy in your backpack or purse for those impromptu food court meals. Getting ready for the 'single use plastics ban'. :P
Bought them in the cafeteria at the Telus World of Science

74312062_1590586757746865_108827040987217920_n.jpg

74662436_1590586751080199_4329900017365024768_n.jpg

Smart

Ben's Meat & Deli are having their 66th anniversary sale today. 10% off everything. I bought (among other things) some Scorpion Hot Sauce by Get Sauced. Get Sauced is made in Edmonton. What I like about independent businesses.. they support other local businesses as well. Win Win all around.

IMG_4801.JPG

FY.. squirrel came back. Last day and a half was nasty with -17°C wind chill, and a very biting wind. Didn't see many of my 'children' (as my room mate calls the hungry menagerie) as a result of the weather. Today is much nicer out, so Squirrel took up his regular perch on the ledge, nibbling at nuts and watching the assorted movements outside.

IMG_4802.JPG

Even though I had to visit mom today, I got to indulge in a few pleasures: Coffee at European Sweetness Deli & Coffee Bar,  lunch at Badass Jacks Subs & Wraps, and on the way home, stopped at Ben's Meat & Deli for 1/2 kg of SMOKED BRISKET.

Thinking of maybe getting some pita / pocket bread and making donairs only with brisket instead of donair meat.  Brisket, German Butter Cheese, tomato and onion slices, drizzle of Blue Cheese dressing and wrap up all that deliciousness into a warm pita pocket. YUM.

Photo2707.jpg

IMG_4811.JPG

I only shop at the Body Shop when there are deals to be had. Today was 30% off all purchases, plus a seasonal reusable Tote bag filled with products reg $91.00 on sale for $45.00 for card holding members. I had also accumulated four $10.00 vouchers from previous points earned. So I saved $70.98, about 50% of my purchase total. Some items I will use, others will be Christmas gifts.

IMG_4815.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back I posted that I had an job interview with a company that I always wanted to work with. Well nearly three months after my interview, I got hired by the company after passing prerequisites which included a physical where I had to lift and carry more than 50lbs and a drug-alcohol screening. So I'm finally leaving my current employer in January after nearly six years. (If all goes according to the schedule) 

In that time frame, I accepted a job position at my current job as a manager where I will be working nights and running shifts. I'm not looking forward to nights but it'll be only for the next five weeks before I leave. Kind of strange how everything falls in my lap around the same time. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Awhile back I posted that I had an job interview with a company that I always wanted to work with. Well nearly three months after my interview, I got hired by the company after passing prerequisites which included a physical where I had to lift and carry more than 50lbs and a drug-alcohol screening. So I'm finally leaving my current employer in January after nearly six years. (If all goes according to the schedule) 

In that time frame, I accepted a job position at my current job as a manager where I will be working nights and running shifts. I'm not looking forward to nights but it'll be only for the next five weeks before I leave. Kind of strange how everything falls in my lap around the same time. 

Excellent news.  Good luck in your future job and may it be everything you had hoped for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well work paid for my CPR Training and I got paid to show up for the two-day course. To my surprise, some of the course material has changed since I took it in 2013. This might be my favorite day on the job since I first started in 2014.

I gotta give to some of my classmates though. They finished a night shift then headed straight to class. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thomasw said:

Mmmmmm

my dad made smoked salmon the other day and HOLY SHIT was it ever good.

I bet!  Did your dad cold smoke the salmon?

I've never smoked fish before.  I'm actually kind of reluctant to because I've read a lot about how smoking fish in the same smoker you do meat in affects the seasoning in the smoker and imparts the taste and smell of the fish on meats cooked in it for a long time after so I'm hesitant do do that unless I get a second smoker.  As it is, one of the neighbours has questioned the number of barbecues in my back yard.  For that matter, I've had guests question the number of barbecues in my back yard too but oddly nobody says anything about it after having some food.  Funny how that works.  It's one of those things where if you have a hobby and take it seriously and invest in the equipment to do it seriously, people start asking what all this stuff's for, why do you have it etc. etc. etc.

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I bet!  Did your dad cold smoke the salmon?

I've never smoked fish before.  I'm actually kind of reluctant to because I've read a lot about how smoking fish in the same smoker you do meat in affects the seasoning in the smoker and imparts the taste and smell of the fish on meats cooked in it for a long time after so I'm hesitant do do that unless I get a second smoker.  As it is, one of the neighbours has questioned the number of barbecues in my back yard.  For that matter, I've had guests question the number of barbecues in my back yard too but oddly nobody says anything about it after having some food.  Funny how that works.  It's one of those things where if you have a hobby and take it seriously and invest in the equipment to do it seriously, people start asking what all this stuff's for, why do you have it etc. etc. etc.

Nah he didnt, 

He used his friends smoker. He experience with chicken which was alright and beef which peronaly I wasnt a fan of. The problems with a regular upright smoker is that all the juices from the top rack drip on the other rack which bassically ruins the taste of the other racks. This is really stupid because it happened with the salmon, the chicken and the beef. Do you have any advice on how this could be fixed other than just smoking on rack at a time. We tried that but it takes up a lot of pucks and takes a lot of time. 

3 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

Nah he didnt, 

He used his friends smoker. He experience with chicken which was alright and beef which peronaly I wasnt a fan of. The problems with a regular upright smoker is that all the juices from the top rack drip on the other rack which bassically ruins the taste of the other racks. This is really stupid because it happened with the salmon, the chicken and the beef. Do you have any advice on how this could be fixed other than just smoking on rack at a time. We tried that but it takes up a lot of pucks and takes a lot of time. 

Chicken.  I've only put that in my smoker once and I screwed it up so badly I only ate half of it and the other half went into the garbage.  My smoker's an upright one too and I'd have the same problem as well.  I've never been in a position where I've needed to smoke two different foods at a time.  Whenever I've had both racks going it's because I've had ribs on both levels so the dripping wasn't a problem.  On the opposite, the bottom ribs were really nice and moist and tender.  

The few people I know who smoke food usually only smoke one kind of food at a time because otherwise managing the differing temperature and time requirements can get a bit hairy.  The only exception I personally know is one guy who buys chicken drumsticks when he smokes ribs and fills the areas around the ribs on his grates with the chicken legs.  I almost did buy a second smoker to get around this a while ago but by the time I had cash for it, the listing disappeared from Kijiji so I haven't added a second smoker, at least not yet.  I'm sure the neighbours will think I've lost my mind if the day ever comes that I do that but the reality of low and slow barbecue is you need a lot of grill space if you're going to do a large amount of food at once and if you don't want to use the second layer in an upright drum type smoker because you're cooking different foods, it means more than one smoker to avoid stacking the different foods above each other.  If your dad is thinking about buying a smoker of his own at some point, he might want to think about getting an offset type where there's a single, long grill and you lay out everything horizontally instead of something like a Brinkmann or a Weber WSM (which is what I have).

• Like 1