Jump to content

CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

Orion VIII

General FY Moments

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 7575 said:

I'm mainly scared of not being a good-enough father.

Follow Kristina Kuzmic on YouTube or FB. She has a lot of parenting videos and puts things in perspective. Lots of common sense and sprinkled with great doses of humor.  I enjoy her videos very much. She's very down-to-earth. Not preachy.

Here's one  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled an all-nighter on one of my term papers for a third-year history course in which I submitted around 3 AM on Saturday after asking my professor for an extension. Somehow, despite all it's grammatical errors as I was not thinking straight when proof-reading, I ended up getting 78% on the term paper. This dumbfounded me as the paper was rushed where I finished the last four pages after coming home from work at 9 PM to 3 AM. I would have finished it earlier, but being sick for the entire week and being overworked from work and other assignments has put me over the edge. Well, I'm satisfied, only eleven days left of school before I'm on break for 4 1/2 months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF / F Yeah moment. This day seriously could've been 100x worse. I'll consider this is the most "lucky" day of my life. Or you can call me a shit driver. Either way, I'm so relieved. 

1) I lost control of the car I was driving and ended up in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. After pulling a sharp turn a little too fast. After being stranded for nearly a fourty minutes, someone pulled the car out and the car was not damaged aside a small amount of water got in. I'll dry it out when I get home. Unfortunately, I never got to say thanks to the person who pulled the car out as he left before I can say thanks. I was still able to make it to my meeting because a random stranger pulled me out.

2)A couple hours later, I was driving on an empty highway between Cochrane and Calgary when I was going 110 in a 100 zone, which could easily get you a ticket here. (Or anywhere) A car speeds by me around 130KM an hour, only to get stopped sharp shooter Sherriff that was doing photo radar who jumped in the middle of the road to stop the speeding car. Thinking he wanted to pull me over as well, (I was beside the speeding car) I pulled over behind the speeder. The cop told me to go. 

Now I'm tempted to buy a lottery ticket. None the less, I'm so grateful as things could have been seriously worse. I don't often count my "blessings" but maybe I should more often. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I was out taking photos at Brentwood LRT Station in Calgary.  My first FY moment is when the driver of Calgary Transit #8378 spotted me taking photos of other vehicles and pulled over and flagged me down so I could take a photo of his bus.  What a nice guy!

My second FY moment is a combined Oh $#!T / FY moment.  I went home to put all my photos I took that day onto my hard drive, but when I checked my SD card, the photos were not in sight.  I imediately lost my $#!t (which I probably shouldn't have) but thankfully I messaged a buddy of mine who told me to try a data recovering software.  I downloaded one and started the scan (which took an hour and a half to scan my 32 GB SD card) but thankfully, the photos were still there (along with a few others I remember deleting months ago).  I am rediculously grateful everything worked out in my favor, and had I waited days and/or used the SD Card in the meantime, my photos would have been lost forever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Today I was out taking photos at Brentwood LRT Station in Calgary.  My first FY moment is when the driver of Calgary Transit #8378 spotted me taking photos of other vehicles and pulled over and flagged me down so I could take a photo of his bus.  What a nice guy!

My second FY moment is a combined Oh $#!T / FY moment.  I went home to put all my photos I took that day onto my hard drive, but when I checked my SD card, the photos were not in sight.  I imediately lost my $#!t (which I probably shouldn't have) but thankfully I messaged a buddy of mine who told me to try a data recovering software.  I downloaded one and started the scan (which took an hour and a half to scan my 32 GB SD card) but thankfully, the photos were still there (along with a few others I remember deleting months ago).  I am rediculously grateful everything worked out in my favor, and had I waited days and/or used the SD Card in the meantime, my photos would have been lost forever.

So, where's the photos of 8378?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife's due date is April 27th now. Changed from May 1st. She's doing great!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got myself out of academic probation. (If you below 2.0 on the GPA Scale, you can get kicked out of University) despite finishing with a 76 last semester. Though I have a few finals to deal with, I'm strongly confident that my average will go up and not down. I was sitting at an 80 average before the exams, which is the first time I've sat at this high average. Though I feel like I haven't slept in months and sacrificed my interests, I feel pretty satisfied. Now, what's left after Thursday is to complete my pilot's license for the Fall as I got accepted to study and work towards my long-term goal of being a commercial pilot. Not gonna lie, despite 2019 being "brutal", I survived and accomplished so much in the last four months. It's not going to be relaxing for the next four months, however. Full-time work and three times a week at the flight school. At least no more of getting up at 4:30 AM no more! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greatcoinz said:

I finally got myself out of academic probation. (If you below 2.0 on the GPA Scale, you can get kicked out of University) despite finishing with a 76 last semester. Though I have a few finals to deal with, I'm strongly confident that my average will go up and not down. I was sitting at an 80 average before the exams, which is the first time I've sat at this high average. Though I feel like I haven't slept in months and sacrificed my interests, I feel pretty satisfied. Now, what's left after Thursday is to complete my pilot's license for the Fall as I got accepted to study and work towards my long-term goal of being a commercial pilot. Not gonna lie, despite 2019 being "brutal", I survived and accomplished so much in the last four months. It's not going to be relaxing for the next four months, however. Full-time work and three times a week at the flight school. At least no more of getting up at 4:30 AM no more! 

Proud of you. Keep up the good work ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, TechSpotlight said:

...I went home to put all my photos I took that day onto my hard drive, but when I checked my SD card, the photos were not in sight....

Not even 3 weeks later, my spare SD Card died on me.  I went to take pictures of Calgary Transit 7602 at Foothills Medical Centre today and once I reviewed the photos briefly, I turned off the camera and waited for the next Route 8 bus to come.  I eventually boarded 7678 and when it came time to review the photos a little more closely, I realized my SD card has failed, no photos were in sight.  In case I was crazy, I loaded up my card into an iPhone - SD card adaptor and it still didn’t work.  Luckily, I have been more smart since that last incident and have backed up my photos to my spare hard drive on my desktop every day I came home from fanning / photography.  I was planning to go fanning with another member of this board shortly after that.  I told him about my SD card troubles and thankfully he let me borrow his spare card and backup the photos to my cell phone once we were done fanning.  Just like last time, I was able to recover the images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was warm and the sun was shining today.  Football practice was in the early afternoon over in East York.  One of the linebackers had a portable speaker pumping out music and he'd added some Led Zeppelin, Guns'N'Roses, and get this, Allan Parsons Project (!) to the mix of the usual EDM, rap, and hip hop.  I was playing centre which isn't something I get to do very often but I enjoy it, and at one point, I was pushing down on the stitches on the balls like they were guitar strings playing along to the bass line to Welcome to the Jungle in between plays.  Someone lit up a barbecue nearby and I could smell the charcoal lighting and then I could smell the food cooking a little while later and my stomach started growling.  Spring's finally here.  The semipro season starts up in about a month.  And, this is how weekends should be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a good haul at The Body Shop today. I had $14.50 left on a gift card, a $10.00 Rewards (loyalty points), plus in-store / online 30% off everything today. Plus I also earned a free gift (worth $10.00).

IMG_4644.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's cool but the wind is still. The charcoal and the food is ready to go, the cat's hanging out with me, and it's quiet and peaceful out.

It's a beautiful evening. Could spring finally be here?

IMG_4874.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wayside Observer Industries workshop is getting a nice upgrade.

I did some on-sale shopping yesterday at Canadian Tire after football. The large 72 inch cabinet in the two boxes was on sale for $250 off and the small table top tool chest is discontinued and I got one of the last ones for $70 instead of the full price of $170, which is nice because I've been wanting a second one for a while.  

So I saved $350 which works out to saving about $395 when you factor in the sales tax and I used my Canadian Tire card so it's split into 24 payments interest free and I collected  an additional 4% back in CT money.  I think I stretched that deal as far as I could!

Now to wrestle everything out of the truck and into the basement and put it together after I rearrange the work area after I mow the lawn...  it's amazing how a "day off" really isn't...

IMG_4887.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first lawn mowing of 2019 is complete and wow, was it ever overdue.

Now which side of the yard should I put the ALRV on?

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Now which side of the yard should I put the ALRV on?

Wow, that is a big yard. Put the ALRV in the middle and the lawn furniture along the sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a few ride-alongs this week at Toronto Police. Touring the PSRT (Public Safety Response Team), 87 Division (Primary Response Unit), ETF and 41 Division. I've got to say, I'm excited for the police college now. I was skeptical at first but now I think I'm ready.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and a few long time friends went for a bike ride today around our neighbourhood. This is bittersweet, as we are each going to different high schools next year. Had a lot of fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Finally, some hot weather!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-140048004.jpeg_1557460602084.jpeg

The day came and went. Tonight, it's finally warm enough to leave my window open!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

The day came and went. Tonight, it's finally warm enough to leave my window open!

I've had my window open for the past couple months. I close it when it is extremely windy, or when the temps are below -9°C.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...