2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

I was driving home last night, when I approached the intersection at 105St/23Ave westbound at around 12:00 midnight, just as I was about to move into the right turn lane, the 74 in front of me, waiting for the red light in the lane next to the right turn lane, suddenly opened its front door to let a passenger off. Even though I was still some distance behind, it still scare the hell out of me and I had to slam the break pretty hard. ;)

Exactly why it is absolutely crucial that passengers only be let off or on when a bus is at the curb.

Here's the mysterious appearences of 749 in the last month. I assumed it was out of Westwood because I saw it on a route 5, but my own photos confused me.

749s1hd3.th.jpg

749s2av1.th.jpg

By the way, is the next ETC meeting tomorrow or next week? (not sure because this month started on Thursday)

Interesting day. Got downtown at about 1545 to see a 120 (bus #193) turning south to west at 101 St/Jasper Ave. It must have short-turned somewhere. Anyway, that switch once again split the poles. I was heading west anyway, so I caught that bus. We were right behind a 1 most of the way to JP so it was a very fast trip with few passengers. I noticed, though, that a couple of eastbound 120s seemed to be missing.

I got off at 154 St/Stony Plain Rd to see two 120s waiting to turn left onto 156 St, with unit 192 in the middle of the intersection with a pole in the air and an epcor guy on the roof bringing it down. So, no, the crossing between the EB wires and the W-S turn is still a pain. Once the pole was down, an inspector pushed 192 into Jasper Place. The three 120s in line then turned into the terminal.

The first, unit 150, lost its right pole going through the crossing. 179 (Ken) took it wide and made it through. 193 lost its left pole. The line crew in each case put the poles back up. Once everybody was clear, the line crew went to fix the E-N switch that 120s use to head back to the garage (which apparently has also been splitting poles). It looked like that switch just had too much snow and ice stuck in it. The line crew has a (really cool) radio transmitter on a plastic telescoping pole that they use to test switches.

Back in the terminal, 150, 179 and 193 left in sequence (very late, slightly late and a few minutes early, respectively). The service van showed up and threaded a new rope into 192's retriever (I didn't know the van-man could do that) and it too took off.

Then unit 175 on the next 120 arrived. It took the infamous crossing at 156 & Stony wide and very slow and lost its poles anyway, nearly taking down the whole intersection with it when a pole got stuck in the crossing. A couple of guys from the line crew had just come down from fixing the other switch and so went over, pushed 175 out of the intersection and put its poles back up.

I left on a 133 a few minutes later, but it looked like the line crew was going to hang around 156 & Stony for a while. Maybe (keep your fingers crossed) that crossing will finally be fixed.

Zachary is going to Shanghai the day after tomorrow, he has some suggestions for his fellow friends who remain in Edmonton. Since the Chinese Lunar New Year falls on Sunday February 18th this year, please do run the dragon trolley to boost the spirit :D:P<_<

OK. I'll get right on it :) Dragon On !!! Watch here for pics :D (I hope you will have internet in Shanghai).

192 called in earlier in the day about missing a switch 2 out of 3 times already.

Which one, 95 Street & 111 Avenue ?

The first, unit 150, lost its right pole going through the crossing. 179 (Ken) took it wide and made it through. 193 lost its left pole. The line crew in each case put the poles back up. Once everybody was clear, the line crew went to fix the E-N switch that 120s use to head back to the garage (which apparently has also been splitting poles). It looked like that switch just had too much snow and ice stuck in it. The line crew has a (really cool) radio transmitter on a plastic telescoping pole that they use to test switches.

I talked with Ken at JPC this evening (I was actually visiting with Pally at the time). Ken said it was Arthur on Unit # 192. It was a very interesting episode, from Ken's condensed account of what transpired. Anyhow, let's hope Epcor is convinced that there is a definite problem and let's keep our fingers crossed that the crossover will get fixed. If I were an Epcor customer paying for OH maintenance, I would really be ticked.

Terry reported that Mitchell was out of buses yet again this morning.

Good news for drivers driving on the 3 at 95 and 111ave. A new switch has been ordered for that intersection and will be installed as soon as it comes in! So drivers are being told just to bear with the issues until its installed.

Good news for drivers driving on the 3 at 95 and 111ave. A new switch has been ordered for that intersection and will be installed as soon as it comes in! So drivers are being told just to bear with the issues until its installed.

Why replace the switch if it's the control mechanism mounted on the traction pole? It (probably) doesn't take much to replace the solenoid mechanisms that actually cause the switch points to move. In fact, I would find it hard to believe that both are not working as I believe they work independently of each other. That says to me it has something to do with the controls for the switch. Either the radio antenna or the control box.

Switches being split could indicate a failed solenoid mechanism... As only one point would be switching, while the other would not causing one pole to go one way, the other to go the other way.

Anyways... at least as far as I know!

Hybrids were on training at Ferrier this am.

Why replace the switch if it's the control mechanism mounted on the traction pole? It (probably) doesn't take much to replace the solenoid mechanisms that actually cause the switch points to move. In fact, I would find it hard to believe that both are not working as I believe they work independently of each other. That says to me it has something to do with the controls for the switch. Either the radio antenna or the control box.

Switches being split could indicate a failed solenoid mechanism... As only one point would be switching, while the other would not causing one pole to go one way, the other to go the other way.

Hybrids were on training at Ferrier this am.

I agree but at least they havent quit trying and are still willing to spend money on o/h. that switch is used so much im sure it needed a new one anyways

Mitchell was indeed out of buses. 907 and 255 were both on Mitchell runs today.

Oddly, 301 seems to be at the head of a line of buses in Ferrier and hasn't moved in a week or more.

It would seem some transfering of buses around could help, although I believe these bus shortage issues relate more to actual storage space, and more so, mechanics avalible to fix the buses.

I agree but at least they havent quit trying and are still willing to spend money on o/h. that switch is used so much im sure it needed a new one anyways

There are other places I'm sure that could use a switch sooner than that location. I believe they have already tried replacing various components... and now they're just going to replace the whole thing after already sinking money into it? If they want to spend money, spend it at Stony Plain Rd and 156 St.

I do find it kind of strange as well that they need to order a new switch from the manufactuer. Surely they should have one or two, if not more, spares floating around?!

I also say it's something in the control box. I've been saying that for months now. Probably a hornet's nest in there <_< A spaceship disguised as an asteroid or small planet on a Star trek episode went off course and was about to collide with something. The people who built the 'space ship' also supplied it with plants and animals, and lo and behold, a hornets nest was in the navigation controls causing all sorts of problems. One of the Troopers told me he was quoted the cost to replace a switch is $40.000.00 (forty-thousand clams). The switches at 124 Street and 113 Avenue and by the Convention Center have been giving intermittent grief.

Yeah, that does seem high actually. From Jan. 2004 on the Vancouver yahoo group:

One selectric switch (just the actual switch) will set you back

$8,000, a complete right turn switch (selectric, curve segment and

trailing switch) will set you back $50,000 (labour and design

included).

a couple new jobs posted today re transit...

Electro Vehicle MechanicJob Requisition Number: 9063636 Permanent Positions CSU Local 52Transportation - Auto Bodyman MechanicWork Location: D.L. MacDonald Garage 13310 – 50 A Street

FUNCTIONS:: The successful candidates will enter into an Electro-Vehicle Mechanic Training program for Light Rail Vehicles and Trolley Buses which will include course work in the electrical/electronic field and practical on-the-job training. Electro-Vehicle Mechanics repair, maintain, and test mechanical, electrical and electronic systems related to the operation of electrically associated equipment such as trolley buses, light rail vehicles and associated light rail transit (LRT) auxiliary equipment.

LRT Bus CleanersJob Requisition Number: 9063652 Permanent and 2 Temporary Positions (Approximately 11 Months)

ATU Local 569Transportation - LRT - Bus CleanerWork Location: D.L. MacDonald Garage 13310 – 50 A StreetFUNCTIONS: The successful candidates will be required to perform cleaning functions on the interior and/or exterior of transit vehicles, interior cleaning of shops, and general purpose maintenance. D.L. MacDonald offers a clean work enviornment.

An interesting trip to school this morning. I was on 4132 and a car spun out and hit us. We all had to transfer onto 4122 which was behind us on a route 14. I couldn't see any damage but there might have been some.

No hybrids out again today although 303 was on the 106.

An interesting trip to school this morning. I was on 4132 and a car spun out and hit us. We all had to transfer onto 4122 which was behind us on a route 14. I couldn't see any damage but there might have been some.

No hybrids out again today although 303 was on the 106.

Speaking to someone with an important job in transit yesterday.. they are training more 106 drivers and spare board operators on the hybrids so they should return maybe next week but probably by the following week and they will be running both hybrids on the 106 not just 1

Around 1830 hrs. Run 504 (Unit # 175) gets a C/O and the service guy driving Unit # 175 back to the garage dewires at 97 Street and 102 Avenue. (The changeover was supposed to have taken place at 101 Street and Jasper WB. Why not on 100 Street? Then the service guy would only need to turn it NB onto 101 Street to head to WW).

I spoke to someone who was on the dewirement scene moments later and this person told me it looked like one of the contact wires had come out of where it fastens into the section isolator. The bus also lost the 'harp' at the end of the pole.

Anyhow, that circuit has been de-energised and Epcor says it will have to wait as a certain 'part' is not readily available. Everyone has been dieselised.

Oh, and Microbus had *sticky* doors today. He just can't STICK to one bus :angry:

it looked like one of the contact wires had come out of where it fastens into the section isolator. Anyhow, that circuit has been de-energised and Epcor says it will have to wait as a certain 'part' is not readily available. Everyone has been dieselised.

I would suspect that this means that the regular line crew needs to deal with this. I guess every trouble crew shouldn't need to have a spare section isolator or parts with them...

I would suspect that this means that the regular line crew needs to deal with this. I guess every trouble crew shouldn't need to have a spare section isolator or parts with them...

Something like that. It was just the regular trouble crew that responded. Janice told them they were providing very poor customer service.

Poor customer service to ETS, we pay them $1-2 million a year, and they can't fix a section isolator right after PM rush hour!? It's not like this happened at 1 am.

Something like that. It was just the regular trouble crew that responded. Janice told them they were providing very poor customer service.