2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

• Board Admin

I think I was on that train... I got on at Central at 07:50, tail car I believe.

I think that's what my post said.

Oh, it wasn't clear because I thought 1018 was still in the regular scheme. Guess not! I was in the lead car.
I also rode 230 and had trouble seeing out of the windows, as they were frozen solid. Didn't all of the 200s have their heaters upgraded?
No warm-wall heating in those though, so there's not much airflow beside the windows (a la LRV).

LRV report coming from M. Parsons later on today.

LRV report coming from M. Parsons later on today.

1036 has a HID now.

1018 is still HID-less

1008, 1011, 1017, 1018, and 1029 all have the modified number decals on the end, like in Ashton's post.

I'm about 98% sure that 1029 still had it's test decals this morning, and, I only noted 1017 having the new setup this morning. I'm sure I must have seen 1008 and/ or 1011 this morning as well, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

1036 still has the original decals, although with the HID. Get pics while you can! 1036 might only last for a day or so like that. Maybe only this afternoons peak hour? (I'll starting the bidding for slides of it at $50)

In other news... 139 had issues of some sort at Coliseum. Karl had 155. The guy that looks like the bald captain dude from Star Trek has 128.

Shot 559 and 580 among other GM's today.

Saw 4158 this morning with what appeared to be blown airbags on the drivers side. Saw another bus this afternoon with blown airbags, or so I thought. Turns out they tossed 4158 back out this afternoon with no suspension on the drivers side. Nice. It was on a 187. Terry, did you happen to encounter it?

3 8's pulled in to Millgate at the same time around 17:45. 666 that was out of service at Millgate, 4003 that was running to Lakewood and some 4000 LF heading for Mill Woods T.C.

Did finally get a (crappy) shot of a bus with "Towne" instead of "Town" on a route 61.

Shot off nearly 2 rolls of Fujichrome, mainly on GM's and repainted LRV's, although I also shot a CN train, a school bus and a pair of trolleys.

Saw 4276 downtown displaying 62 Mill Woods Towne Center stacked on the front, but with 62 Mill Woods TC on the side. Lots of trolleys out on everything. Even 316 and 318 had trolleys! 316 had 137, and 318 had an unidentified refurb, that I saw turning off 101 St SB onto 102 Ave EB when I was at 101/Jasper. I'd bet it was 129 though, as 128,133,179 and 183 were accounted for on other runs, 131 has yet to return to service and I haven't seen 135,140 and 148 in service for a while (140 passed the one year mark on the weekend). Some fun in the westend today. 144 working 314 had to be changed over at 156 St/112 Ave SB (the chageover didn't show up until 30 minutes later, which is strange considering its just down the road from Mitchell). 192 showed up to replace it, and the mechanic began to drive 144 back to the garage. 192, being 30 minutes late, prepared to turn left from S 156 St to E 107 Ave. However, 192's periphal electronics acted up, with the marker lights, interior lights, turn signals not working. I continued on 137 to Jasper Place, getting there just after 179 had pulled out on the last trolley 133, so I got a low floor on the 7 home. At 156 St/107 Ave, I see 179 sitting on the right turning wires not moving. It turns out that 192 got moving, but then the driver dewired, and got the pole resting on top of the crossing between the positive and negative wires in the trailing switch, preventing 179 from continuing. All the passengers were loaded onto the 7, which continued on its way, leaving 192 and 179 to wait for an inspector to come and free the pole.

Saw 4158 this morning with what appeared to be blown airbags on the drivers side. Saw another bus this afternoon with blown airbags, or so I thought. Turns out they tossed 4158 back out this afternoon with no suspension on the drivers side. Nice. It was on a 187. Terry, did you happen to encounter it?

No, I just encountered the Route 184. I did see the new clocks. Some old people that I was with thought that the "Kiss and Ride" area at Clareview is disgusting and is promoting promiscuity. I had to go through the whole explanation, but I don't think they understood very well.

Other than that, not a great trolley day. Unit # 128 gets caught in the crossover at 156 Street and Stony Plain Road early this morning. He needed to get a push 'backwards' to free up. The inspector said it was a few inches from the whole business falling down.

Bill had Unit # 175, but something was wrong with it and he ended up getting Unit # 193. # 193 lost it's heat and Janice ended up requesting a C/O, but she said she wanted a trolley and would wait until some came back in from PM peak if need be. She wound up with Unit # 163.

Dennis had Unit # 183. Don had Unit # 161. Glen had Unit # 139 (I think). Later on, Unit # 139 sat, poles down, hazards on, at the Coliseum Transit Center. Maybe it was just having a snit fit because it was missing Glen.

Unit # 192 got hung up at 156 Street & 107 Avenue causing a bit of a delay. There was a wire break at 97 Street and 102 Avenue. There were also Epcor work trucks at 100 Street and Jasper WB early this evening, and trolleys were stopped briefly because they would have to swing out wider than their poles would allow.

Other than that, a great day spent with the kid, donating blood, visiting a crazy aunt and going to a movie in the evening. Gotta cram some electricity in my day tomorrow. :D

Later on, Unit # 139 sat, poles down, hazards on, at the Coliseum Transit Center. Maybe it was just having a snit fit because it was missing Glen.

:D

139 lost all power going into coliseum. the Service van helped him out and pushed him. i was on the 8 on the way to the doctors and there was another trolley waiting to pull in but my driver thought he was stuck and tried to go around him and landed up having to bypass coliseum tc all together. i never made it to abbotsfield on the 8 so quick before lol

144 was sitting poles down this morning on 111 just west of 95th. from what i was told, it died in the middle of the intersection. this would have been on the route #3

That's too bad :( , Unit # 144 had some extensive surgery not too long ago. The doctor put in a lot of time and TLC from what I heard.

An interesting day today.

I overheard (and jumped into :P ) a conversation between a driver and a passenger on the 109 about Trollies. After hearing all this nonsense about stuff like:

"Maintaining trolley lines will drive fares up"

"I'm all for the environment but trollies are a waste of time"

"There are no parts for any of the trollies"

:(

I had to set them right with a few comments of my own (ie. There are no fewer spare trolley parts then there are parts for the GM diesels) :angry:

After that, 200 showed up on a Mitchell school run! That was my first time riding 200. There are quite a few differences, including:

The speckaled floor

No fleet numbers on the interior rear

different destination sign cover shape/numbering

different bars/grab rails

Light says "Stop Requested" instead of "Next Stop" (Kind of like on the ELFs)

"Maintaining trolley lines will drive fares up"

"I'm all for the environment but trollies are a waste of time"

"There are no parts for any of the trollies"

:(

I had to set them right with a few comments of my own (ie. There are no fewer spare trolley parts then there are parts for the GM diesels) :P

I always like comparing trolleys to LRT. Overhead costs money to maintain? What about the LRT overhead AND track? It's worth it because it gets used enough. The trolleys are under utlilized. Largely thanks to management. Should they be comdemmed because of this? No. They should be run right.

Problems with parts and trolleys? What about LRT. Grab an In Transit from February and show the driver this part:

At this stage in their life cycle, the cars are experiencing some problems with body corrosion, mechanical wear, obsolete parts and control systems, and a few other age related issues.

The U2's are suffering the same type of problems as the trolleys.

• Board Admin

Not sure, but it was apparently sparking all over the place, so I would assume traction, or some bent lightpost. :(

They were pushing, but ended up dieselizing because 101 St/Jasper had some trouble too. One bus dynamited and the tow truck had to be sent out.

A traction pole or a wooden power pole?

It sounds like the circuit that powers Jasper between 95 and 101 St. It's an easy detour to 102/102A Ave if an inspector can push 5s around the corner at 101 & Jasper, but then nobody asked me.

Rob on the Route 3 (SB on 97 Street) wanted to use 102 A Avenue to 101 Street and then go north, but it wasn't his decision. So we got a push from the WW van. Sounds like a certain contingency manual could be useful :(

Not sure, but it was apparently sparking all over the place, so I would assume traction, or some bent lightpost. :P

They were pushing, but ended up dieselizing because 101 St/Jasper had some trouble too. One bus dynamited and the tow truck had to be sent out.

I didn't hear of any problem at 101 Street and Jasper Avenue except for that's where they had to push (to / from) because the breakers are there. I heard that a traction pole was down at 92 Street and Jasper Avenue. My source said a vehicle had hit it, that it was not ETS involved in the downing of the pole. I will find out from Ken because he was there either when it happened, or shortly after it happened.

Ken had Unit # 132, Mark had Unit # 163, Glen had Unit # 172, Gerry had Unit # 124, Marty had Unit # 175, and Rob had Unit # 127.

• Board Admin

I thought the dynamited bus was at that intersection. And they had a trolley that lost power, but the one behind it was fine (due once again to the breaker location). They had to push to 102 Street or something.

I didn't hear of any problem at 101 Street and Jasper Avenue except for that's where they had to push (to / from) because the breakers are there. I heard that a traction pole was down at 92 Street and Jasper Avenue. My source said a vehicle had hit it, that it was not ETS involved in the downing of the pole. I will find out from Ken because he was there either when it happened, or shortly after it happened.

Okay, but it's a different circuit (different substation, even) on Jasper Ave east of 95 St. Why'd they shut off the power between 95 and 101? Not to dwell on minutiae here, but something isn't adding up.

Deliberate dieselization out of WW today. There was a problem at the garage yesterday, this could have something to do with it. Deliberate dieselization tomorrow, Epcor has some scheduled maintenance happening.

At the end of the rush hour yesterday afternoon, Control advised all Westwood trolleys to stop

short of the breaker in fuel bay 1, and wait for a push into the garage.

So it sounds like the traction power was off at Westwood, but for what reason, I have no idea.

OK, just came back from The Platform Level. All has been lovingly transformed into Disney-theme. It's really very fairy-tale-ish. I think the ads are more appealing to women and kids. Lots of pastel shades and soft tones. Nicely done though. And yes, the seating area is covered and there is a banner hanging over the stairwell/escalator area. :D

Someone doesn't like Disney. Most of the backlit panels on platform level have an 8 X 10 white poster with black print that reads " DISNEY DOES NOT OWN YOUR DREAMS" There is an e-mail address on the bottom of the poster too. clandestinesq@gmail.com There was a poster on one of the seats too, guess who pinched it ? :D

Someone doesn't like Disney. Most of the backlit panels on platform level have an 8 X 10 white poster with black print that reads " DISNEY DOES NOT OWN YOUR DREAMS" There is an e-mail address on the bottom of the poster too. clandestinesq@gmail.com There was a poster on one of the seats too, guess who pinched it ? :D

WOW. Someone seems bitter. I guess that's what can happen though after being bombarded by Disney every time you get of the train?

How are the platform seats holding up? As of Thursday 3 were totally intact... I was really surprised after how fast the Enmax ones were mutilated! Guess they learned their lesson and did something different with these ones?