2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

In other news, yesterday some teens were arrested for bringing guns onto the bus. It was an ELF, I think number 71.

It was bus 76, on the #317... and they were pellet guns that looked like real guns.. a revolver

and some sort of machine gun.

It was on page 8 of today's Sun.

221 and 247 have been absent since summer. Usually that indicates they are going through some sort of refurb. To bad there are no windows to look in at Westwood.

I remember having 247 its second or third day on the road, back in 94. I blew the main gasket

on the thing :D Down in West Lymburn no less, but they found me :lol:

229 definitly has that problem. That combined with the paint looking very worn out makes the bus pretty bad looking.

I was just thinking about this today: what if 229 really is the last white 200? 233 is accounted for, it is sitting in the Ferrier refurb bay. 221 and 247 have been absent since summer. Usually that indicates they are going through some sort of refurb. To bad there are no windows to look in at Westwood.

There probably are. Check out the west side... south side of the building. I would advise against it though as that area is ETS property etc. I believe there are windows in the doors.

On a spotting note from today I just remembered....

Saw a double headed 79 today. First time since the route 78 came into existance. I have noticed packed 79's since the 78 started. This was on the trip that I saw the pair of ELF's on before... 07:45ish arrival at Lakewood.

Screw what the residents think. Put a few big buses on the 79... at least during the peak hours. It's costing ETS extra money to run that second bus... Running a single 40' bus is probably cheaper than 2 ELF's. Hopefully the 79 will get 30' low floors if/ when they arrive.

My blocked picture of 389 is no more! :D (no I don't think the small pole matters)

3894kh.th.jpg

I rode it today on the 106. Looking up at the interior fleet numbers, I noticed the 3 doesn't match. I have noticed that this is consistant on all of the 300 series GMs (74s and 75s). Could the 1975s also have recived 600 series numbering before they were put into service?

I have tomorrow of so I'll probably make it to Ferrier in the afternoon to see the GM fleet leaving. For the first time in quite a while, I will have to use my film camera, as my dad has borrowed my digital for his vacation.

Saw one of our amazing Orion hybrids today for the first time...I didn't think it was possible to make a bus even blockier than a D40LF. The thing is also very loud (much louder than I'd expect a series hybrid to be) and gave a blast of warm exhaust (that I noticed on the sidewalk across from it as it went by) as it went by. Hopefully the New Flyer hybrids will do a better job of living up to the image of birds and trees that the ad wrap promises.

A strange day for trolleys. In the AM, trolleys were put out on the 5,9,120,133 and 135 in full force. The 3 had trolleys on the AM Peak extras, but not on the midday runs (302,305,308,309). The 120, however, had trolleys on the midday runs (12002,12006,12010) that interline with the 3. Don't know what was going on there. In the PM, all runs got trolleys, so the 3 had all trolleys in the evening today. 12010 had 137, 12002 has 144, 316 had 183 and 318 has 192. A D40LF wound up on one run of the 5 and two runs of the 135 by the end of the day.

A strange day for trolleys. In the AM, trolleys were put out on the 5,9,120,133 and 135 in full force. The 3 had trolleys on the AM Peak extras, but not on the midday runs (302,305,308,309). The 120, however, had trolleys on the midday runs (12002,12006,12010) that interline with the 3. Don't know what was going on there. In the PM, all runs got trolleys, so the 3 had all trolleys in the evening today. 12010 had 137, 12002 has 144, 316 had 183 and 318 has 192. A D40LF wound up on one run of the 5 and two runs of the 135 by the end of the day.

A wire break this morning was probably the deciding factor in throwing more diesels onto the Route 3 than normal. Although unconfirmed, I heard (from two separate sources), the wire break actually occurred the night before (or very early morning) by a service person bringing something back to the garage.

Unit # 183 dewired at 97 Street and 102 Avenue NB and lost a shoe. It got a C/O from a garagebound Route 1 at 2209 hrs. Mitchell service came out, reshoed the one pole and drove it back to Mitchell.

Janice had Unit # 198, I don't know what went wrong (it couldn't have been too serious because she was still mobile and on time) but she got a C/O at 118 Avenue and 95 Street EB with Unit # 102 at 2055 hrs.

Laura-Lee had Unit # 125 which she said was a pleasure to drive after having Unit # 126 for two days in a row. She says Unit # 126 is developing some very stiff steering.

Glen had Unit # 181, Ken had Unit # 132, Marty had Unit # 121 and Don had Unit # 193.

Janice had Unit # 198, I don't know what went wrong (it couldn't have been too serious because she was still mobile and on time) but she got a C/O at 118 Avenue and 95 Street EB with Unit # 102 at 2055 hrs.

The rear door wouldn't close on 198.

A wire break this morning was probably the deciding factor in throwing more diesels onto the Route 3 than normal. Although unconfirmed, I heard (from two separate sources), the wire break actually occurred the night before (or very early morning) by a service person bringing something back to the garage.

That wire break was right around 3:00 a.m. yesterday.

The inspector started his shift at 4:00 pm on Wednesday, and finally got home at 8:00 a.m. Thursday...

he was pretty tired last night of course... he got called to that wire break just as he was about to go home.

My blocked picture of 389 is no more! :unsure: (no I don't think the small pole matters)

3894kh.th.jpg

I rode it today on the 106. Looking up at the interior fleet numbers, I noticed the 3 doesn't match. I have noticed that this is consistant on all of the 300 series GMs (74s and 75s). Could the 1975s also have recived 600 series numbering before they were put into service?

I used to ride the 1975 300's back when they were brand new, and can vouch that at that time the 3's on the interior fleet numbers did match. It was only the 1974 300's that didn't. I'm sure that the 1975's never received 600-series numbering.

#121 flew by me today on the #3 with nice bright white ropes, new shoes and new (Well refurbished) retrievers!

Also 4182 had a lil fender bender. just past 104 and Whyte as he was leaving his stop, a car decided to compete with him

Here is a picture:

4182_accident.JPG

Otherwise lots of trolleys out! which makes me happy cause i really hate waiting for the next trolley when a diseasel comes into my 5 spot

I used to ride the 1975 300's back when they were brand new, and can vouch that at that time the 3's on the interior fleet numbers did match. It was only the 1974 300's that didn't. I'm sure that the 1975's never received 600-series numbering.

Riding 371 today... The 3 is a different.

What I have heard is that the 6XX numbering was a mistake at the factory and the buses never ran in service, or only for a short time, a 6XX's. This would have been corrected by the 1975 deliveries I'm sure.

I will try too look into it... probably won't be able to until Monday.

It's either the 3 was replcaed or the numbers just rub off after a while (although funny how it is just the 3s on the 300s)

Anyway, I did manage to get out today.

Rode 129 on the 120.

Camped out by Ferrier to see the GMs come out. Thank you ETS for leaving running buses on the ramp (mostly 4295) so that I had somewhere to warm my fingers up :unsure: (Today's wind was insane. I had really thick gloves on and my fingers were still cold)

Rode 250 on the 80. One of the heating vents near the back rattles so loud that I couldn't sit there.

No pictures to post, as I was using my film camera, and I haven't got it developed yet.

#121 flew by me today on the #3 with nice bright white ropes, new shoes and new (Well refurbished) retrievers! Otherwise lots of trolleys out! which makes me happy cause i really hate waiting for the next trolley when a diseasel comes into my 5 spot

Melanie had Unit # 121 on Run 305. It died on her at the Cromdale Loop just before she was to head home to WW. Unit # 177 died on Don after ~ he got the bus late, got a headlamp fixed, and finally got back on time.

Ken had Unit # 146, the E9 had Unit # 143, Karl had Unit # 189, Laura-Lee had Unit # 161, Marty had Unit # 163. Janice had Unit # 173 but reluctantly had to get a C/O because she had pulled a muscle in her back and needed the P/S. But yeah, lots of trolleys out. They seem to be having a lot of minor issues, but then so are ALL the buses.

• Board Admin

That wire break was right around 3:00 a.m. yesterday.

The inspector started his shift at 4:00 pm on Wednesday, and finally got home at 8:00 a.m. Thursday...

he was pretty tired last night of course... he got called to that wire break just as he was about to go home.

That must've been some nice overtime! :unsure:

Someone called in thinking a trolley was missing a rope on its retriever (bus 138), but it just had one dirty rope and one clean one. :o

Melanie had Unit # 121 on Run 305. It died on her at the Cromdale Loop just before she was to head home to WW.

Yeah, I saw her with #121 at 1800, trying to get it going just west of the Cromdale Loop WB...

then at 1830 service was there, it looked like they got it going, cuz I blocked traffic for

them to put the poles up. 1850 at Westwood, the service truck was pushing #121 into

fuel bay/wash rack #1... so I guess they didn't get it going after all.

Caught 210 on the Route 4 tonight to Capilano. That was kind of surprising.

Usually routes like the 1 and 4 are almost always 4000 series low floors so it is odd to see a 200. Not to mention that 210 is a Ferrier bus. If I remember there is only 1 run on the 4 that is not an LF, and every other run tends to be a 4000.

Yeah, I saw her with #121 at 1800, trying to get it going just west of the Cromdale Loop WB...

then at 1830 service was there, it looked like they got it going, cuz I blocked traffic for

them to put the poles up. 1850 at Westwood, the service truck was pushing #121 into

fuel bay/wash rack #1... so I guess they didn't get it going after all.

They pushed it in, one service guy at the helm, and one in a pushmobile.