Grande West Vicinity
|Grande West Vicinity|
|Years of manufacture||2009 to present|
|Length||27.5 to 35 feet|
The Grande West Vicinity is a low floor, heavy-duty mid-sized transit buses sold in Canada and the United-States. It is available in lengths of 27.5, 30, and 35 feet. The Vicinity was designed at the behest of BC Transit and has been adopted by other transit agencies across the country.
HistoryBC Transit had relied on cutaway buses for their rural and community transit routes, however these buses were constrained by the use of wheelchair lifts and lack of standee space. BC Transit, together with TransLink and OC Transpo, issued an expression of interest in 2008 for a more conventional low floor transit bus that was under 30 feet. Grande West Transportation was founded by William Trainer in response to that need for a heavy-duty, accessible low-floor community shuttle bus. Grande West worked closely with BC Transit to design what would become the Vicinity.
Grande West sought out Yaxing Motor Coach Company as a manufacturing partner after no feasible North American option was available. Yaxing's experience included manufacturing Mercedes-Benz motorcoaches under a joint venture with DaimlerChrysler known as Yaxing Benz.
The Vicinity bus prototype was delivered in February 2010, as part of a beta-testing program during the Winter Olympics. Initial trials, evaluations and passenger surveys were completed for 21 months during the Vicinity bus’ tour of various BC Transit systems. The trial was meant to expose the bus to a variety of extreme climate conditions and difficult terrain.
In 2011, BC Transit placed an order for 15 buses to further evaluate their performance. Delivery of these buses occurred in August 2013. Sales efforts across Canada have resulted in orders being received and production scaling up.
On production models, the lower front fascia was revised. It features large, single LED headlights with the turn signals positioned in the place of the fog lights that were featured on the initial bus. Beginning with Oakville Transit's 2016 order, the Vicinity may be specified with two-piece slide glide doors and EASB bumpers.
In November 2014, Grande West announced the launch of a 30 foot model at the Canadian Urban Transit Association’s fall conference and trade show in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The 30 foot model was designed with optional two passenger doors, catered to the specifications of the Ontario public transit market. In June 2015, Grande West announced the production of a 35 foot model.
The Vicinity has received certification by the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, Transport Canada and the British Columbian Ministry of Transportation. The Vicinity was determined compliant with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (“FMVSS”) for the United States in April 2015, allowing the Vicinity bus to be sold to the US market. In November 2016, Grande West announced their first US customer: Standard Parking at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The buses were sold through Alliance Bus Group, the dealer in the US. The following month, Grande West announced that they have received "Buy America" certification which includes 60 percent US component content. This allows the company, through Alliance Bus Group, to bid on public transit opportunities.
|Length: 8.382m (27' 6"), 9.144m (30'), or 10.668m (35')|
|Width: 2.48m (98")|
|Height: 3m (9' 8") incl. HVAC|
|Wheelbase: 4.115m (13' 4"), 4.862m (16'), or 5.700m (18.7')|
|Cummins ISB6.7 6.7 litre, 220 hp||EPA 2007, 2010 & 2013|
|ZF 6AP1002B - Ecolife||2015 onwards|
|ZF 6HP504C - Ecomat 4||2009 to 2014|
|Front: BRIST Alxe Systems (Voith) TJ58-225|
|Rear: Graziano BRA81DC80 drop centre|
|Computer controlled air ride with independent front suspension|
|Four wheel disc brakes|
|Front:275 70R 22.5|
|Rear: 385 55R 22.5|
|23 seated + 16 standees, 24 seated + 18 standees, or 31 seated + 18 standees|
- Burlington Transit - Burlington, ON (on order)
- Calgary Transit - Calgary, AB
- Chilliwack/Agassiz-Harrison Transit System - Chilliwack, BC
- CIT Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan (operated by Transdev Québec) - Carignan; Chambly' Marieville; Richelieu and Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu, QC
- CIT Laurentides (operated by Transdev Québec) - southern Laurentides, QC
- Coast Mountain Bus Company (CMBC) - Metro Vancouver, BC (demonstration)
- Cobourg Transit - Cobourg, ON (on order)
- Cowichan Valley Regional Transit System - Cowichan Valley, BC (demonstration)
- Dawson Creek Transit System - Dawson Creek, BC
- Durham Region Transit - Durham Region, ON (demonstration)
- Edmonton Transit System - Edmonton, AB
- Grande Prairie Transit - Grande Prairie, AB (on order)
- Guelph Transit - Guelph, ON (demonstration)
- Kelowna Regional Transit System - Kelowna and Lake Country, BC
- Kings Transit - Annapolis Valley, NS
- Lethbridge Transit - Lethbridge, AB (on order)
- Moose Jaw Transit - Moose Jaw, SK
- Nelson Transit System - Nelson, BC
- Oakville Transit - Oakville, ON
- Orangeville Transit - Orangeville, ON
- Penticton Transit System & Okanagan-Similkameen Transit System - Penticton, BC
- Prince Albert Transit - Pince Albert, SK (on order)
- Prince George Transit System - Prince George, BC (demonstration)
- Quesnel Transit System - Quesnel, BC
- Red Deer Transit - Red Deer, AB (demonstration)
- Saskatoon Transit - Saskatoon, SK (on order)
- Selkirk Transit - Selkirk, MB
- Squamish Transit System - Squamish, BC (demonstration)
- Transcollines (Operated by Campeau Bus Lines) - Brownsburg-Chatham, QC
- Transit Cape Breton - Cape Breton, NS
- Victoria Regional Transit System - Victoria, BC (demonstration)
- Ville de Mont-Tremblant (Operated by Groupe Galland) - Mont-Tremblant, QC
- Ville de Sainte-Julie (Operated by Transdev Québec) - Sainte-Julie, QC
- Welland Transit - Welland, ON (on order)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (operated by Standard Parking) - Atlanta, GA (on order)
Demonstrator and engineering units
|2009||LJSKB6GP29D000703||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B|
|March 2013||LJSKB6GP5CD002419||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B|
|2014||2G9B30AA9FA098018||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B|
|2015||2G9B30AA2FA098023||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B||
|2015||2G9B30AA0GA098037||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B|
|August 2016||2G9B30AA4GA098056||Cummins ISB6.7||ZF 6AP1002B||
- Vicinity bus opportunity. Victoria Regional Transit Commission. 11 September 2012.
- Modern European-inspired Community Test Bus, transitbc.com, retrieved on 2010-11-04
- City hopes to take bus on test drive, bclocalnews.com, retrieved on 2011-07-18
- Grande West Achieves Buy America Certification. Press release. 12 December 2016. Grande West Transportation. Retrieved on 19 December 2016.
- "La Point commune" (26 July 2013) Association du transport urbain du Québec. Retrieved on 06 October 2013.