MTR Western/Sightline

canuck600

You have to love the Canadian Rockies to make for some beautiful scenery when taking bus photos. Here is a shot of MTR Western 5695, taken on the Icefields Parkway on May 10, 2009.

Kevin

Thats a great picture. Any more views like that?

• 1 year later...
Somewhat dated article but this might not bode well for MTR/Sightline in the end.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Bankr...l#ixzz0wcWhW788

Do you guys think MTR Western will be able to ride this one out without harm? I read in another article that Berg has promised some of its motorcoach assets to pay the creditors of the mortgage funds.

MTR and the associated companies might have to radically downsize or even sell of a division but I think they should get through it if they can get through the next couple of weeks to complete all their tour contracts for the season. If they can't I expect the tour companies would start sueing

I wonder if MTR does get liquidated and shut down if Rocky Mountaineer would jump to get back into the Vancouver market,especially if they could buy MTR's assets for a good price? As it would sure leave a very large Void in the Vancouver Market without MTR no longer operating!! And really I dont know who else could buy the amount of assets MTR has to continue operating as big as MTR has! Maybe PCL but I dont know if they have the resources?

I imagine the coaches will be sold off piecemeal, I could see the VTT group picking up some coaches and some of the tour contracts. PCL might pick up a few or go for broke to become a all Prevost fleet. ISL will probably pick up some of the contracts as well. I expect Universal will pick up quite a few coaches especially now that the travel restrictions betwen China & Vancouver have been eliminated. Century McMynn will also buy a few coaches as well

Who knows who will go for the sightseeing end, Rocky Mountain Railtours has shut down all their bus divisions with the exceptipn of Victoria.

If MTR goes down it could make the Vancouver market more like the Seattle market, fewer companies but running bigger fleets. Seattle area is bigger then Vancouver but there are far fewer companies there then there are in Vancouver.

Who knows a greatly reduced MTR might arise out of the current bankruptcy.

I know it's hard to figure out because all the coaches have Oregon plates but I'm wondering exactly how many coaches other then the Sightline ones are Vancouver or Calgary based?

A MTR driver I spoke with earlier in the summer mentioned that a few coaches assigned to the Seattle Fleet had been transferred to the Vancouver fleet because Vancouver was short of coaches.

Who knows a greatly reduced MTR might arise out of the current bankruptcy.

The company itself is profitable, I think they may well end up being bought out and if that happens, there's no real reason for them to downsize unless they lose contracts over the current uncertain climate. If clients have any reason to believe that MTR won't be around next season I could see them losing business.

I didn't realize MTR had anything based in Calgary! This is news to me.

MTR's website does mention that they have drivers based in Calgary. Upon further digging, here is the listed address of their Calgary facility:

Meridian Transportation Resources (Canada), LTD

4415 61st Avenue SE

Calgary, AB T2C 1Z6

(source - locations are listed on this page)

I was thinking coaches might be sold off to service the debt as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Any business majors know what the process is as far as the Canadian based assetts of a U.S. Company in bankruptcy? I can see all coaches being involved in the bankruptcy because they all bear Oregon plates. Could the Vancouver garage be siezed and sold?

I was thinking coaches might be sold off to service the debt as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Any business majors know what the process is as far as the Canadian based assetts of a U.S. Company in bankruptcy? I can see all coaches being involved in the bankruptcy because they all bear Oregon plates. Could the Vancouver garage be siezed and sold?

Pretty much anything could happen, if MTR Western does become part of the bankruptcy then a number of things could happen, They could just seize some or all of the assets, however i would think the US operations in Oregon would be the first in line as well as the Washington operations. I dont know how MTR has their company set up, the Canadian Operation May not even be affected....Well have to wait and see. However they do have some pretty nice coaches, Im sure someone locally would pick them up for a good price.

Do you guys think MTR Western will be able to ride this one out without harm? I read in another article that Berg has promised some of its motorcoach assets to pay the creditors of the mortgage funds.

This is all very interesting. I've met Mr. Berg... even had a few drinks on his yacht. He's a very pleasant and down to earth guy. I hope things turn around for MTR because it seems like a fantastic company otherwise.

Kind of doubt the bankruptcy trustee would allow a expenditure like that. Maybe just a transfer to replace some of the coaches siezed.

I had heard that some american coaches were being moved North to cover for the repossed ones and given the names of the coaches I would suspect they might have come from down south. I just looked at the MTR website & they did have sightseeing operations in San Francisco

Noticed on the Wiki that C2045 changed a bunch of the Sightline VanHools over to MTR Western - are the paint schemes changing on them as well then?

I actually think some of those transfers took place before the Olympics. I remember noticing some T2145s in the standard MTR scheme during the Games and had a feeling a couple of them might have originally been Sightline coaches. I don't remember all the numbers though, but even if I did, I don't know if I have enough Sightline photos to be able to match them.