Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Awww man, that just complicates everything...5796 can be at Wilson or Davisville...how on earth will I find it? (You may answer this question if you wish, but It's not intended as a "random ttc question".

According to the description of this Youtube video,

"all of us transit "buffs" should take the time to take videos of these trains before it's too late. Note: we only have about a month and a half left, so I say that we make the best of it now."

I thought the H4's wouldn't be retired until around October-November next year? Can someone confirm??

That video is wrong. Only 1 new Toronto Rockets will be delivered by the end of next year, with the rest coming in 2010 and 2011. The H4s will last into 2010 for sure unless the TTC somehow gets 7 new TRs by then, which is not scheduled to happen.

Awww man, that just complicates everything...5796 can be at Wilson or Davisville...how on earth will I find it? (You may answer this question if you wish, but It's not intended as a "random ttc question".

It doesn't make a difference, it is always on the YUS line since the Sheppard Line uses T1s only.

I frequently pass by the Woodbine and 14 area and the 2A buses tend to have long layover time. The round trip is 1 hour and drivers usually have 10+ mins or so break there, the ridership is low and drivers usually drive slowly along the way.

What time are you passing by? During rush hours now a round trip is 2 hours, with 5 minutes scheduled at each terminus. During midday though, it's 1 hour round trip and 0 scheduled layover at both termini. I've taken 2A during that time enough to know that if you get delayed anywhere, anytime on that route that delay will carry over until PM rush starts. 2As are never on time leaving MSH.

Oh my bad, I thought it was a VI.

No problems, I'd probably make the same type of mistakes if you were referring to an MT vehicle.

That video is wrong. Only 1 new Toronto Rockets will be delivered by the end of next year, with the rest coming in 2010 and 2011. The H4s will last into 2010 for sure unless the TTC somehow gets 7 new TRs by then, which is not scheduled to happen.

That's good to hear! :P Still got plenty of time to ride 'em. :P

Along with that, I have another question: When a Wilson Div. Subway enters service, does it go to Downsview or Wilson Stn. first? And is H5 #5796 (T1 Prototype) assigned to Wilson or Davisville?

All cars on the YUS and Sheppard lines are assigned to Wilson. Davisville is used for storage and light repairs/cleaning only.

As for where the cars start, you'll want to check out this site: http://www.ttc-routes.com/

Dan

What time are you passing by? During rush hours now a round trip is 2 hours, with 5 minutes scheduled at each terminus. During midday though, it's 1 hour round trip and 0 scheduled layover at both termini. I've taken 2A during that time enough to know that if you get delayed anywhere, anytime on that route that delay will carry over until PM rush starts. 2As are never on time leaving MSH.

No problems, I'd probably make the same type of mistakes if you were referring to an MT vehicle.

MT is easier to identify since they follow a proper numbering scheme unlike all those ex-YRT vehicles that are all over the place. LOL.

DRT's even more confusing.

I am in the 14 and Warden area from 9-6, in midday there are only 2 buses and the buses are usually empty. When I leave at 6, I usually see the 2A drivers taking 10-15 mins break at Woodbine and Denison. Miller used to use fishbowls on the 2A before but now it is 40ft, there is still not a lot ridership as I see everyday.

All cars on the YUS and Sheppard lines are assigned to Wilson. Davisville is used for storage and light repairs/cleaning only.

As for where the cars start, you'll want to check out this site: http://www.ttc-routes.com/

Dan

Dan, some of his stuff is just flat out WRONG.... I DO NOT rely on his site, I've tried to send him updates for stuff and he just NEVER posts it or even replies to my emails.... so I've quit trying to help the guy out...

MT is easier to identify since they follow a proper numbering scheme unlike all those ex-YRT vehicles that are all over the place. LOL.

What is an ex-YRT vehicle? :P

You mean ex-Markham, ex-Vaughan vehicles right?

Even that, it's not so hard to follow those numbering schemes: All ex-Markham vehicles are 20xx, all ex-Vaughan vehicles are 518-530. ex-Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarkets follow the numbering scheme anyway.

Dan, some of his stuff is just flat out WRONG.... I DO NOT rely on his site, I've tried to send him updates for stuff and he just NEVER posts it or even replies to my emails.... so I've quit trying to help the guy out...

I can assure you that Neil's stuff was right at the time. Some of it may be out of date now, however. Nonetheless, it will give you an idea of how things work.

Dan

I can assure you that Neil's stuff was right at the time. Some of it may be out of date now, however. Nonetheless, it will give you an idea of how things work.

Dan

Yep, I realize that, but he NEEDS to update, I would do a site of my own, but I just dont have the time or energy to do it right now, I had a site up for years about HSR, but ripped it down 2 years ago, a few weeks before I moved here, I just didnt have the money to keep it going, and I also was moving away from my server hosting location, and I dont like doing server hosting anymore...

if I had a easy to use web builder and a LOT of space, I COULD put it back up and update it and Start a TTC database as well, as I have done on paper so far... but the time needed to do that AND keep it at the level of accurate information is just a lot right now...life been kinda crazy the last 3-4 months...

I've been wondering about this for a while now: How often do the TTC's trains go out of service with people still in them?

What do you mean by that? Why the two partners are still in the set while it's deadheading?

No, I mean how often do the trains go to the yards with passengers still in them?

I don't know if the procedures have changed in the last few years. But I remember seeing the odd train at the end of PM rush on the BD line having to stop at Warden to let the odd person out through the service door. I'm guessing the train had left Kennedy before the guard had walked to the front of the train, and caught a person sleeping or just confused. I haven't heard any stories of a person ever making it to the yard though.

I don't know if the procedures have changed in the last few years. But I remember seeing the odd train at the end of PM rush on the BD line having to stop at Warden to let the odd person out through the service door. I'm guessing the train had left Kennedy before the guard had walked to the front of the train, and caught a person sleeping or just confused. I haven't heard any stories of a person ever making it to the yard though.

A few years ago I saw a commercial were this drunk person stayed on the train, till it reached the yard. I'm guessing it's common.

A few years ago I saw a commercial were this drunk person stayed on the train, till it reached the yard. I'm guessing it's common.

I don't know if I'm thinking of the same commercial as you, but IIRC, it's the one for MADD Canada. Don't believe everything you see on TV :lol:

To the TTC, they treat those subway yards like Fort Knox. If you don't work there, good luck getting in there.

I do see people taking the train from Greenwood Yard onto the mainline. I'd assume that they're workers from Greenwood?

I do see people taking the train from Greenwood Yard onto the mainline. I'd assume that they're workers from Greenwood?

Most likey. This morning an ALRV went into Russel Yard unloaded and loaded passengers. Sometimes streetcars go in there but don't unload any passengers. They just wait for a bit then move along heading east or west.

Also a few times that i've been on 85 Sheppard, I've ended up in Malvern garage by the entrance, with people inside.

This happened to someone at lawrence west station like 5 years ago. She couldn't understand english from my understanding. She was locked in and dragged to the extra lane and the train was left there for a while. I don't know after that.

What is an ex-YRT vehicle? :lol:

You mean ex-Markham, ex-Vaughan vehicles right?

Even that, it's not so hard to follow those numbering schemes: All ex-Markham vehicles are 20xx, all ex-Vaughan vehicles are 518-530. ex-Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarkets follow the numbering scheme anyway.

Yeah, that's what I meant.