OC Transpo/STO Mistakes

I was quite occupied this week, but I've just send a message whether to rename it or merge with the other and rename it.

I've noticed a couple more mistakes. The route 88 map seems to have it travelling via the Maisonneuve exit and not running on the Allumettieres in the morning although sounds like in the system map it is shown to run via des Allumettieres exit east to Maisonneuve.

The system map also shows route 39 running on La Gravite while it will no longer do so - it will travel on de l'Europe instead.

I've also noticed the morning trips on the 88, 94 and 98 are close to 10 minutes longer then now- all that time added on the Highway 50 portion. Travel times eastbound (afternoon) are still the same. Not sure if the westbound travel times are mistakes unless they have really taken account the congestion.

The system map also shows route 39 running on La Gravite while it will no longer do so - it will travel on de l'Europe instead.

I've also noticed the morning trips on the 88, 94 and 98 are close to 10 minutes longer then now- all that time added on the Highway 50 portion. Travel times eastbound (afternoon) are still the same. Not sure if the westbound travel times are mistakes unless they have really taken account the congestion.

On the System map, they also forgot to include that the Sunday Routing of the 128 end's at the Blackburn Arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Several things are messed up and are totally confusing.

Route 128 eastbound at Blair:

Considering the new platform is at 1B (Upper Level) the previous stop that was at 3A (lower level) is still there. Today, the guy doing the 128 was still serving the 3A stop, and I told him that OC Transpo moved the stop to the upper level, but apparently, on the Route Description, it does not even mention what stop to serve. It only says "Local Platform" which is probably the lower level, which is wrong. Also, the schedules for the 128 is also located at the lower level, but not at the upper level.

Route 133 Outbound at Blair:

Still isn't labeled at stop 3A, but is labeled at stop 2B (upper level)

Bus stop on Trim Road SB/Innes Road:

It says that routes 22, 94 and 120 service it, but they mixed up the 120 with the 122. (see picture below)

122_trim_road.png

Another from the system map document in the highlights section it shows Route 159 as route serving Kirkwood towards Carlingwood while actually it goes on Woodroffe, Richmond Road and Churchill.

The first 94 trip from Angers is supposed to end at Rideau at 6:29 AM, but saw it on Wellington at Elgin at around 6:05 - thus over 20 minutes early.

The first 98 ends about 5 minutes earlier then the 94 but was still about 10-15 minutes early as it was generally passing at the same time as the 94. The first 88 was early too but not by that much - probably 5 minutes at most.

Forgot also that STO mentionned that two late-night runs on the 64 Saturday from les Promenades were not shown which makes sense, because on the Guide it showed the last trip departing at 22:05 while Sundays late trip starts at 23:10 or close to that.

Route 128 isn't extended to/from Hurdman on the weekends which may explain why they're told to serve the stop on the lower level.
Also it is still a local, because after Montreal Road it gets off the Transitway, it's not like it actually serves the Montreal Road Transitway Stop. So it doesn't stay on the transitway to serve the next stop past Blair, so why should it serve the upper level? It would just cause more confusion on the upper level.

Earlier this week, the schedules at Carleton O-Train Station were messed up. Both schedules on the northbound (Bayview-bound) platforms displayed schdules for southbound (Greenboro-bound) trains, whereas both the schedules on the southbound platform were for northbound trains. They have since been fixed, with both platforms displaying one northbound and one southbound schedule.

Waste of money, considering congestion has gotten worse.

I am always surprised by the lack of interest for such projects as LRT in this country. To me it is short sightedness. When they finally do build it the situation will be at crisis point (if it isn't already), and far too late.

I wish politicians would stop playing politics with such projects (yes I realise that is an oxymoron!) A similar situation just happened in Adana, Turkey. They actually built the system but never finished it as the new city council weren't interested. Now years later they are finishing it, and spending more money to bring the parts already finished up to scratch!

It get's better. City Council is holding an emergency meeting today to see if they can bill property taxpayers for the settlement:

Taxpayers on the hook for LRT lawsuit

By DEREK PUDDICOMBE, City Hall Bureau

The city is considering billing taxpayers directly in order to cover the $36.7-million settlement over the light rail plan that was cancelled in 2007.

The Sun has learned that one of the options city staff will present to city councillors during an emergency council meeting this morning will be to send a bill for between $100 and $200 to every property taxpayer to pay for the settlement.

Siemens and St. Lawrence Cement — who are suing the city for $217 million after council pulled the plug on the project two years ago — have agreed to all the conditions of the settlement offer except for the payment plan.

In its offer the city has requested the $36.7 million be paid in instalments. The two companies want it all in one lump sum.

Other options to pay for the hefty bill could include selling off city owned assets such as Ottawa Hydro.

Mayor Larry O’Brien says the LRT settlement is small in comparison to the cancelled project’s price tag and is simply the cost of doing business.

Speaking at yesterday morning’s Mayors Breakfast Series, O’Brien said the previous Barrhaven-to-downtown project was “tragically flawed” and not worth the $1-billion cost.

“The cost of this (settlement offer) will be small in comparison to what it would cost moving forward,” said O’Brien. “It’s opened up brand new doors of mass transit in the City of Ottawa. We are doing what is right for the citizens of Ottawa.”

O’Brien said the benefits of the new light-rail plan will more than offset the cost of the settlement. The mayor claims passengers will save 20 minutes in commuting time each day, which he equates to a $750,000 boost in daily productivity across the city.

At this week’s council meeting, councillors were briefed on the settlement offer but have yet to officially vote in favour of the payment.

Only five councillors expressed opposition to the settlement because, as one councillor, who did not want to be identified, said, those who voted to settle are worried that if the matter went to court it would cost taxpayers even more.

Combined with the money the city has spent on legal fees, the final bill could reach about $40 million.

The total cost of the cancelled project is more like $100 million when you add in the preparation work which went into creating the plan.

Since the cancellation of the original project, council voted for a new $5-billion transit plan, which includes a very similar north-south route among other upgrades and new lines.

However, none of the projects in the new plan will actually be operating in the city for at least 10 years.

derek.puddicombe@sunmedia.ca

I think it's insane that only about 25% of Ottawa voters actually checked the box beside Cueball's name--and I definitely voted for someone else--and now we are all going to be billed for his actions. :P I know the money must come from somewhere and the city cannot borrow it, but they should absorb the cost and not share the pain with the people who choose to live in this beautiful city.

It get's better. City Council is holding an emergency meeting today to see if they can bill property taxpayers for the settlement:

I think it's insane that only about 25% of Ottawa voters actually checked the box beside Cueball's name--and I definitely voted for someone else--and now we are all going to be billed for his actions. :P I know the money must come from somewhere and the city cannot borrow it, but they should absorb the cost and not share the pain with the people who choose to live in this beautiful city.

We weren't living in Ottawa at the time of the election, we were out on a posting, if he thinks hes getting between $100-$200 from me hes got another thought coming, he can stick his proposal where the sun dont shine.

Waste of money, considering congestion has gotten worse.

Well, it would have gotten worse anyway if the previous proposal would have gone through. Our congestion problems are in the east-west arterials but this proposal was north-south and serviced non existent communities south of the airport. They only extended it to Barrhaven to try to silence the critics.

I am always surprised by the lack of interest for such projects as LRT in this country. To me it is short sightedness. When they finally do build it the situation will be at crisis point (if it isn't already), and far too late.

I wish politicians would stop playing politics with such projects (yes I realise that is an oxymoron!) A similar situation just happened in Adana, Turkey. They actually built the system but never finished it as the new city council weren't interested. Now years later they are finishing it, and spending more money to bring the parts already finished up to scratch!

The problem here is that we have no viable commuter rail lobby in North America. The oil, automobile and airline industry lobbyists have most of everyone convinced that were should be expanding highways and airports instead, so much so that it's even hard to get rail in regionally or in municipalities.

We're widening the 417 while the existent rail corridors in our community stay idle. It's ridiculous.

Well, it would have gotten worse anyway if the previous proposal would have gone through. Our congestion problems are in the east-west arterials but this proposal was north-south and serviced non existent communities south of the airport. They only extended it to Barrhaven to try to silence the critics.
Have you seen Bronson and the airport parkway during rush hours? Or how about Riverside, Conroy is bad too.

Also if the previous plan went through, they would already be working on the East-West line. So Congestion wouldn't of gotten worse, as the North-South arterials would be taken care of the roads mentioned above, and that East-West line would be under construction, which would take care of East-West arterials.

Also congestion on these North-South roads do usually affect traffic on the East-West roads and vice versa. Look at Conroy and Walkley, whatever affects Conroy affects Walkley. I highly doubt it would of gotten worse than it is right now with nothing built.

Have you seen Bronson and the airport parkway during rush hours? Or how about Riverside, Conroy is bad too.

Also if the previous plan went through, they would already be working on the East-West line. So Congestion wouldn't of gotten worse, as the North-South arterials would be taken care of the roads mentioned above, and that East-West line would be under construction, which would take care of East-West arterials.

The East-West line was to be a bypass line, which, while undoubtedly useful, was not going to tackle the downtown congestion problem (and it got changed by moving it off the rail corridors onto roads as well). The problem was that the 2003 TMP was still premised on the old Haydon-Bonsall notion that BRT would continue to be the backbone of the rapid transit system. That's when the mistakes were made - in 2003. Even so, after that every community group you can think of tried to get the N-S LRT extended eastwards to Hurdman so as to get the buses out of downtown, but the BRT lobby was too strong and kept it out (partly on the basis that it wasn't in the TMP...) since they realized full well that that would be the end of BRT in Ottawa. Had that little extension been added along with getting rid of the buses, the plan would likely have gone through. But five years later with bus congestion still getting worse, they were finally forced to back down on keeping the buses rolling through downtown. Had we had a sensible, true rail-based TMP in 2003 we could now be onboard trains travelling through downtown Ottawa from Baseline to Blair.

Get angry at the councillors if you like, but as Denley wrote this morning the blame falls on Chiarelli, the council of the time and the officials who came up with the 2003 TMP in the first place.

Also congestion on these North-South roads do usually affect traffic on the East-West roads and vice versa. Look at Conroy and Walkley, whatever affects Conroy affects Walkley. I highly doubt it would of gotten worse than it is right now with nothing built.

From what I remember the projected completion of the original North-South was Fall 2009 and the O-train would have been out of commission from Spring 2007 because of construction so buses would have been added to Bronson and Bank.

This is what the Glebe Traffic Plan 2002 said about Bronson's traffic problem :

"Bronson Avenue is now used extensively primarily as an express link between communities in the south end of the region and the Queensway, downtown, and the bridges to the Outaouais. Enhanced access to the Airport Parkway has increased the volume of traffic on Bronson, which, in turn, has increased the number commuters using local residential streets to bypass the congestion."

The Queensway is a east-west arterial and Quebec's Rapidbus system is scheduled to be operational in 2011 and was not expected to link directly to the proposed LR system in Ottawa.

at baseline station the TV that tells you when your bus is coming says 86 Southvale instead of elmvale

The Teledon is correct, it is supposed to say 86 Southvale because that's where the bus ends.

At St.Laurent, their is a information sign for platforms 2A/2B and they list routes 94 and 95 as: 94 Barrhaven Centre/Strandherd, 95 Tunney's Pasture. Correct form would be '94 Tunney's Pasture, 95 Barrhaven Centre/Strandherd'

At Smyth, platform 2A, they list route 97 as: 97 Tunney's Pasture. Correct form would be '97 Bayshore'

The Teledon is correct, it is supposed to say 86 Southvale because that's where the bus ends.

At St.Laurent, their is a information sign for platforms 2A/2B and they list routes 94 and 95 as: 94 Barrhaven Centre/Strandherd, 95 Tunney's Pasture. Correct form would be '94 Tunney's Pasture, 95 Barrhaven Centre/Strandherd'

At Smyth, platform 2A, they list route 97 as: 97 Tunney's Pasture. Correct form would be '97 Bayshore'

My god...did they ever bugger this up! How hard can it really be?