CP Power

TheAverageJoe

Sometime over the past month or two, CP #1422 showed up at the Alyth yard in Calgary, but it was always parked in a location that I could not get a photo of it. Recently it has now shown up by the employee parking lot on the east side of the Alyth yard and I finally got a photo of it. I hope to get a chance to get a day time shot of it at some point as well. http://www.flickr.co...ges/9606123132/

• 1 month later...

Well I guess this can be posted here seeing that they're part of CP.

ICE 62215 by awstott, on Flickr

Rolled through Edmonton this afternoon in a lashup with a pile of other locomotives.

6053 - Lead

Nice, I caught ICE 6215 working in Fort Saskatchewan three weeks ago. The consist I got it in was CP5876 - ICE6215 - CP5961

Earlier today I was pretty happy to catch locomotives that were not GE's! Caught #5872 leading 6014, 6610, 6614 all leading a work train eastbound into the Alyth yard from the Keith yard in Cagary:

Plus 6711 (SW900) was sitting in Alyth.

With the closing of Alyth, I suspect that one will be sold off soon like the other SW's used as shop switchers.

Alyth yard is not closing. CP was ordered to stop load testing and idling operations at Alyth yard. Only the locomotive reliability centre at Alyth yard will be shutdown but the yard will continue of be a major switching yard and all other operations are to continue as normal. All the details about it in the link below from the Calgary Hearld:

http://www.calgaryhe...3546/story.html

Alyth yard is not closing. CP was ordered to stop load testing and idling operations at Alyth yard. Only the locomotive reliability centre at Alyth yard will be shutdown but the yard will continue of be a major switching yard and all other operations are to continue as normal. All the details about it in the link below from the Calgary Hearld:

That's what I meant, although I probably could have typed it a little clearer though. 6711 was moved to and used as the Alyth shop switcher after Ogden closed. CP's been selling off their remaining SW's lately, I suspect the out-of-work 6711 is next.

Yes but CP has been selling off the SW fleet

reports are that 2100 has been put back in yard service out of Calgary and 2101 back in yard service out of Toronto

According to the yahoo groups, both 2100 and 2101 were spotting in the Agrincourt yard dead line 3 days ago.

That's what I meant, although I probably could have typed it a little clearer though. 6711 was moved to and used as the Alyth shop switcher after Ogden closed. CP's been selling off their remaining SW's lately, I suspect the out-of-work 6711 is next.

I was in Calgary a month ago and I didn't see 6711 at all around Alyth. I wonder if its hidden deep in the yard somewhere.

According to the yahoo groups, both 2100 and 2101 were spotting in the Agrincourt yard dead line 3 days ago.

I was in Calgary a month ago and I didn't see 6711 at all around Alyth. I wonder if its hidden deep in the yard somewhere.

If that is the case then figures CRO is wrong again then

• 2 weeks later...

Someone needs to explain to me why they didn't select 1682 for preservation.

Or 1501 for that matter.

Simple. They took an engine from St Luc yard. Closest yard to Exporail, plus they probably wanted a GP9 that worked the area too. Its all local favoritism.

Simple. They took an engine from St Luc yard. Closest yard to Exporail, plus they probably wanted a GP9 that worked the area too. Its all local favoritism.

Figures that CP's first geep or the second locomotive to roll off the GMDD assembly line would have less historical significance to them than a random locomotive from a local yard.

Figures that CP's first geep or the second locomotive to roll off the GMDD assembly line would have less historical significance to them than a random locomotive from a local yard.

Well, at least 1608 is actually a runner, unlike 1682. If 1682 would have held on longer, it would have been in a better position for preservation: It received engine freeze damage while based out of London and was tied up. At the time there probably wasn't that much of a push to preserve any units yet, and it was thrown in the rebuild pool for the ECO Geeps.

As it stands, scrapped are ex-TH&B units 1682, 1686, 1687, 1688 and soon 1690. 1689 sold off to Black River & Western, 1684 retired pending disposition, 1683 & 1685 active. 1683 and 1684 are actually part of the first order, and would probably make better preservation candidates than 1682 (which even then is the 2nd unit built: wreck-damaged TH&B 71 was the first).

If you want a similar example, look at the Baldwin at the TRHA. The morons who initially bought it had requested that unit specifically, even though it had a cracked engine block and the shop staff had tried to persuade them to go after one of the other units that actually ran. As pretty as it looks now, the thing will probably never run again.