Streetcar News

CLRV4037

The right-of-way on Queens Quay has several trailers loaded with steel beams; I presume rail. (Didn't stop to look closely.) Assuming this is rail, where would it be going? In the tunnel section? Since Queens Quay is up for major rebuild and relocation of tracks and roadway this summer, I would be very surprised if it's worth replacing rail in the street for a month or two worth of service.

The tracks on the quay became unsafe, and it came down to either A) repair them, or B) condemn them. Given how busy the line gets for the Ex, I think we can understand the decision to repair them.

As for the delay in construction, which was supposed to start by now, the blame can be put on Toronto Hydro for the last boondoggle. For those who remember a few months back, they tried to increase rates so they could replace aging infrastructure. Problem was, they didn't get approved, and they already spent their budget for the year. So the entire 2012 construction schedule had to be redone to reduce costs and spread out the workforce. One of the casualties ... realigning and replacing hydro along Queens Quay, which will apparently be done in September.

So it's not the TTC's fault yet again that construction is delayed. What a surprise!

The tracks on the quay became unsafe, and it came down to either A) repair them, or B) condemn them. Given how busy the line gets for the Ex, I think we can understand the decision to repair them.

The rails are gone from the flatbeds, but there's no evidence of major repairs on the surface section. In fact, passing by, I see no evidence of any work being done on the surface section. So I guess the rails went into the tunnel.

The rails are gone from the flatbeds, but there's no evidence of major repairs on the surface section. In fact, passing by, I see no evidence of any work being done on the surface section. So I guess the rails went into the tunnel.

There are a number of sections west of York that have fresh concrete patches, indicative of work having been done.

There are a number of sections west of York that have fresh concrete patches, indicative of work having been done.

Yes, I did notice some patches. I wasn't really sure if they were from the current repair (N), or the previous (N-1), the one before that (N-2), etc. I'm on my bicycle in the curb lane so the sightlines are poor and anyway my concentration is on avoiding the potholes and not being run over by stockbrokers late for work, while avoidng jaywalking pedestrians.

Also, I pass through there around 8 AM and then 5:30 PM. So if all the work is done between those times, I won't see anything going on. Nevertheless, I haven't noticed the kind of equipment that would be required to do some major track work, and I don't think that the work could completed -- including the staging of all work equipment -- in eight or nine hours.

The Star is reporting that the TTC is preparing for trackwork on the Harbourfront section of the 509/510 routes. There's no definitive start date mentioned in the article though. From what I've heard about the delays the TTC is eager to replace the tracks, Waterfront Toronto had scrambled to meet the TTC's schedule for this year, but Toronto Hydro did not budget relocating/replacing its lines down Queens Quay hence the delay. The TTC does not want to proceed with the project only to have it ripped up later by Toronto Hydro.

The project was supposed to be underway now, but had supposedly been deferred to the fall. Much to the relief of several businesses along the Harbourfront during the busy summer season. It seems odd that they'd be storing track for a project that is at least 4 months away. Unless something else has changed the game plan for this project?

TTC doing streetcar work on the waterfront

The project was supposed to be underway now, but had supposedly been deferred to the fall. Much to the relief of several businesses along the Harbourfront during the busy summer season. It seems odd that they'd be storing track for a project that is at least 4 months away. Unless something else has changed the game plan for this project?

Track pieces and the trailers they were on are all gone; were gone by the end of last week. Service to Union is back as of sometime this week. (Not sure when it started, as this morning was my first trip along Queens Quay since last Friday.).

Track pieces and the trailers they were on are all gone; were gone by the end of last week. Service to Union is back as of sometime this week. (Not sure when it started, as this morning was my first trip along Queens Quay since last Friday.).

I figured as much when news of the Toronto Hydro funding came out. So I was somewhat surprised to see the story that they were preparing for the work so soon. The article puts the tracks right outside the Toronto Star building, so I figured they did some investigating as to what was going on. I'll have to take a look when I'm down there this weekend to verify the Star's story.

As for Ex service, if the construction is indeed going ahead this summer, would it be possible to route the 510 cars into the Ex? I'm sure there'll be bustitutions for the 509.

Checked it out, the tracks are in the middle of Queens Quay East in front of the LCBO at Cooper. Steve Munro is reporting that at the end of July track work will begin along Harbourfront. It seems Toronto Hydro is able to cobble together enough funding to get the work started. The local BIA was able to secure that construction along the core of the project (I believe Rees to York) is started in September. I don't know if all the schedules will be able to kept. Spadina to Rees and York to the portal should be enough to keep the crews busy for a month, of course it means tying up access to the central section of Harbourfront which the businesses were trying to spare from construction disruption.

With the 509 being bustituted for Caribana and the Ex, is there any possibility to see the return of the 521 EXHBITION EAST? Are the exposures still available or will they (if they're not available) use 504 EXHIBITION exposures?

Steve Munro is saying that tentatively construction will begin at the end of July. At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if this slips a few more weeks, and it isn't hard to imagine that it won't happen until after the Ex.

There are reports of a loop being built at Queens Quay East and Parliament for the East Lakeshore street car line.

Those are some pretty piss-poor reports. Waterfront Toronto has been begging for the money for that project for a while now, and is no where close to being ready to build that track.

Does that mean that they will rip up the tracks that exist in that area? Are they still used?

The tracks were ripped up 2 or 3 years ago. Redpath/Tate & Lyle now ships only by truck.

Dan

According to the CEO's report at tomorrow's TTC meeting, "The first of the three prototype LRVs is scheduled for delivery in early September, 2012, with the other two scheduled for delivery before year end ... Based on the prototype tests, a baseline vehicle configuration will be established for production vehicles, scheduled for delivery beginning in the fall of 2013."

will this prototype just be testing routes or doing actual revenue service? I do hope that they can handle winters here

For now it'll start by testing routes... no sense having revenue passengers on board if something (like a major derailment) happens. Just like the TRs, the first set will arrive and undergo intensive testing around the system before they will have the ability to carry passengers.

As for winters, that is probably the least of the new car's problems. There's a reason the TTC rejected all bids initially, and it's because of the limitations of the existing system infrastructure.

When they are in revenue service, will they be operating on select routes or will they be rotating around?

Spadina is supposed to be one of the first routes to get the new cars. They're in the process of upgrading the platforms along the route to handle them (like pre-paid ticket terminals, self-serve evidently since they'll be all-door boarding).

As for winters, that is probably the least of the new car's problems. There's a reason the TTC rejected all bids initially, and it's because of the limitations of the existing system infrastructure.

One does sometimes wonder how Bombardier eventually got the contract after they used their "Our cars are perfect so fix your track curves for them." line during the bidding process.

One does sometimes wonder how Bombardier eventually got the contract after they used their "Our cars are perfect so fix your track curves for them." line during the bidding process.

Simple. The TTC put them into their place during the consultation process, and so they came back with the best offer of the invitees in the second round.

And unlike what happened in Boston, they had to show that their cars wouldn't have any problems through computer modelling. Of course, it remains to be seen what will actually transpire when the first of the cars arrive, but at the very least they have done their homework, rather than just say "this will work, it worked elsewhere" as Breda did.

Dan