What are you eating right now?

Kenster102.5

7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I looked again and I don't think I see any noodles at all.

4 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I do see some macaroni in there.

There was like one layer of noodles. The rest of it was just a heaping mess of greasy ground beef and cooked vegetables they had probably salvaged from the salad bar. There weren't any other types of pasta in it as far as I could tell, although the photo I took made it look that way.

Aw yuck.  That sounds pretty awful.  I've seen some lasagna recipes call for chopped up carrots to add a bit of sweetness to the sauce and I've occasionally had lasagna that's had corn in the sauce but never seen a recipe calling for that though.  From what I remember of the food in university and college, it was mediocre on average.  Occasionally though the college cafeteria would have a daily special that was fantastic but they never repeated them and sometimes they'd leave you wondering what on earth they did to the food to make it borderline inedible.

The puzzling part with the college I went to was that it had a culinary program but rather than having the culinary students run the food services as part of their program, the cafeteria was outsourced to Compass Group.  You could see into the culinary program's kitchens from a couple of the back hallways and they were always cooking a ton of food but I have no idea what became of it.  I hope what wasn't eaten for evaluation wasn't being thrown out.

Thinking of campus food's definitely made me happy I'm in my own place and doing my own cooking.

So tonight, I have chicken legs I marinated in VH medium garlic sauce. I decided to experiment and didn't put any other sauce on them when I barbecued them and they turned out amazingly. So succulent and flavourful.

The mashed sweet potatoes were with real maple syrup, the dark stuff and not the medium stuff most people use for pancakes etc. mixed in. I was going to steam some vegetables but got lazy partway through.

I finishing the last bites now eating in the living room with the lights down low and what's probably going to be the last or second last fire of the season.

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

• Like 1

I was visiting Paramount's at First Canadian Place last Friday and got myself what they called a "Yalla Special" - basically fries topped with shawarma and garlic sauce. The name almost confused me as if there was actually a type of food called "Yalla" - turns out, it's an Arabic word for "let's go" - presumably a marketing term for something as close to poutine Middle Eastern cuisine can get!

1089395097_IMG_20190308_1225432.thumb.jpg.bae8b6bd6bcc9908af6b8090ff947264.jpg

• Like 1

I'm digging into a plate of roast pork with sweet potatoes and broccoli and gravy.

I cooked a small pork shoulder roast on the rotisserie and it took about two hours. I keep forgetting how long solid cuts of meat take compared to chickens which are hollow when they're not stuffed...

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

• Like 2