What are you eating right now?

Kenster102.5

8 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

It isn't BBQ if it's cooking in your stove!

Not to put down braised ribs which can be very nice, but it isn't BBQ if there isn't smoke involved.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I meant cooking in the "oven", not the stove top. LOL

Sorry for the confusion. 

On May 6, 2019 at 11:44 PM, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Just put some wood in the bottom, it'll smoke!

/s

People do that.  I know one guy who nearly got killed by his wife after he scratched the idea of barbecuing outside because of a freak rainstorm and he put three racks of ribs right on the oven grate and smoke wood in the bottom of their oven.  Apparently the mess was insane between the fat that dripped out of the ribs right into the bottom of the oven and the smoke that clung to it all.

Smoking food, like traditional barbecue ribs, is something you really have to do in your back yard in the barbecue or better yet in a smoker.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

People do that.  I know one guy who nearly got killed by his wife after he scratched the idea of barbecuing outside because of a freak rainstorm and he put three racks of ribs right on the oven grate and smoke wood in the bottom of their oven.  Apparently the mess was insane between the fat that dripped out of the ribs right into the bottom of the oven and the smoke that clung to it all.

Smoking food, like traditional barbecue ribs, is something you really have to do in your back yard in the barbecue or better yet in a smoker.

Doesn't surprise me. I once saw someone on Yahoo answers who tried cremating a dead rat in their oven

Just finished taking myself out for Mother's Day Brunch at Tiramisu Bistro. I had the Pulled Smoked Brisket of Beef potato bowl (hash browns topped with smoked brisket, sauteed green pepper,  two poached eggs with Adobe Hollandaise sauce, and garnished with cherry tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts).

Later the same day:

Room-mates sister brought over some ribs ♥ so Having a couple of those with a bit of tossed salad and a large glass of iced water.

Pulled Smoked Beef Brisket potato bowl (hash browns, pulled smoked beef brisket with sauteed green peppers, two poached eggs with Adobe Hollandaise sauce and garnished with sprouts and baby tomato).

Drink is a Lift Me up Caesar (whiskey, clamato juice, seasoning, Montreal Steak Spice rim, garnished with Italian sausage, lemon and lime).

Photo2572.jpg

Photo2568.jpg

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Pulled Smoked Beef Brisket potato bowl (hash browns, pulled smoked beef brisket with sauteed green peppers, two poached eggs with Adobe Hollandaise sauce and garnished with sprouts and baby tomato).

Drink is a Lift Me up Caesar (whiskey, clamato juice, seasoning, Montreal Steak Spice rim, garnished with Italian sausage, lemon and lime).

Photo2572.jpg

Photo2568.jpg

That sounds nice. If you can pull beef brisket, you know it's been cooked properly.

My barbecue plans for tomorrow have been pushed back to Monday because of thunderstorms in the forecast for dinner time tomorrow evening.  I have a pork shoulder that's going to get a long dry brine starting tomorrow morning and Monday morning, that'd be going in the smoker for the day to become proper barbecue pulled pork.  I'll post pictures.

Lunch: Great Big Salad (Romaine, grated cheese, bacon bits, chicken breast, tomato slices) after coming home from Safeway. A bit ticked off I forgot to put onions on it.

Supper: Fruit salad (banana slices, orange sections, pineapple chunks,  assorted berries and chunks of assorted melon) whipped together with some no fat vanilla yogurt.

IMG_4657.JPG

Fruit Salad.JPG

This is how to do low and slow barbecue on a long weekend.  Pick the nicest day of the three.  Get the smoker ready the night before and get the meat rubbed down the night before and let it dry brine in the fridge overnight.  Then get the smoker lit up and let it warm up a bit.  Once it's approaching 225, put the meat on and hook up the food and ambient temperature probes, put the smoke wood on the charcoal, and once you get the temperature stabilized, let it roll.

The pork shoulder went in about 10:00 AM.  It's a small one so it should be done around 8 PM.  See you this evening.

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

• Like 2

Happy Victoria Day!

This is what I'm eating right now.  11.5 hours after it went in the smoker, pulled pork sandwich and barbecue cheese bacon scalloped potatoes outside with a friend by the fire pit.

I officially declare that the back yard is now open for the 2019 season.

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

• Like 1