MiWay

Orion VIII

Hey guys, I've realized this for a while but there seems to the front of a D40LF frame sitting at the MiWay body shop. It's been there for a while now. Does anyone know what it is? Is it taken from one of the 03's that caught fire?

As i was looking on google street view, I realized there was a miway D40LFR at TOK Transit Headquarters (formerly YRT southwest), along with some GO transit coaches. The street view was from 2014. Does anyone know what its going in vaughan???

On 5/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, FlyerLFR said:

As i was looking on google street view, I realized there was a miway D40LFR at TOK Transit Headquarters (formerly YRT southwest), along with some GO transit coaches. The street view was from 2014. Does anyone know what its going in vaughan???

TOK/SN has a contract repair company.

Trying to sort out the order/retire status for MiWay in 2017.

Wiki Order Page indicates 37 NOVA LFS

from this thread it would appear that there are both local and express orders expected totaling about 90, Expected retirements are 0301-, 0701-, and 0888- classes.

Can someone clarify?

11 minutes ago, soo8513 said:

from this thread it would appear that there are both local and express orders expected totaling about 90, Expected retirements are 0301-, 0701-, and 0888- classes.

Can someone clarify?

That's how its going to go so far. The NFIs are for express and the LFS and LFS artic are for local.

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Can someone clarify?

I hope this clarifies things for you soo8513:

At present there are 52 MiLocal Nova LFS 40' buses on order which consists of a base order of 37 buses with a option of 15 additional buses which has been exercised. The first of these buses will begin being delivered in late June, however it may only be the first 37 with the additional 15 buses ordered arriving later.

There are also 30 MiLocal Nova LFS 60' buses on order which will expand the articulated bus fleet and allow for routes like Eglinton and Derry to be converted to articulated buses. These buses are not anticipated to be delivered until late 2017 or early 2018.

There are 27 MiExpress New Flyer XD40 buses on order which will be used for expansion and allow for more express/transitway service (such as route 100, improved frequency on 109) to be implemented. These buses will begin to be delivered in late summer or fall 2017.

In total, there are 109 buses on order to be delivered by the end of March 2018. However, note that the Nova order may be reduced by 2-3 buses due to budget constraints which may bring the total down slightly to 106-107 buses. For this reason I would like to ask that no info be added to the wiki until the buses actually arrive, and the orders may not be delivered in one batch. 

Retirements are to be all the 2003 D40LF buses, at least 24 30' Eldorado buses and likely some of the 2005 D40LF buses in the worst condition. The MiWay fleet plan is under review with MiWay Five service plan changing service requirements so the final plans may differ slightly.  

• Like 1

So Miway will get Novabus for the first time. Is 2017 XD40 will be having an same interior as 2013 and 2014. Is the first MiWay Novabus 40 ft already built or know what the design looks like. Novabus 40ft should be here next month and xd40 should be here around in the late summer or early fall. The novabus lfs artic might be arrive in late 2017 as the earliest up to should be  in early 2018 as latest.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:28 PM, curlingteam333 said:

So Miway will get Novabus for the first time. Is 2017 XD40 will be having an same interior as 2013 and 2014. Is the first MiWay Novabus 40 ft already built or know what the design looks like. Novabus 40ft should be here next month and xd40 should be here around in the late summer or early fall. The novabus lfs artic might be arrive in late 2017 as the earliest up to should be  in early 2018 as latest.

If they are already built, I'd like to see them. If they are sitting at Novabus right now then it would be nice if somebody can show some pictures. :)

2 hours ago, curlingteam333 said:

So MiWay Novabus LFS fleet number should be 18xx and XD40 fleet number should be 17xx and Novabus artic might starting from 1851 - 1881 or 1861 - 1891. Is that correct?

the 40 ft LFS will probably be 17xx because it will delivered in 2017

The LFS artic may end up as 17xx also but most likely 18xx

On 2017-5-19 at 4:40 PM, curlingteam333 said:

So MiWay Novabus LFS fleet number should be 18xx and XD40 fleet number should be 17xx and Novabus artic might starting from 1851 - 1881 or 1861 - 1891. Is that correct?

On 2017-5-19 at 7:32 PM, FlyerLFR said:

the 40 ft LFS will probably be 17xx because it will delivered in 2017

The LFS artic may end up as 17xx also but most likely 18xx

I think this has been said many times now in previous posts, but the fleet numbers have not been confirmed yet. Due to the complexity of these orders, we won't know what the numbers will be until they start arriving... 

37 minutes ago, noahrp24 said:

I think this has been said many times now in previous posts, but the fleet numbers have not been confirmed yet. Due to the complexity of these orders, we won't know what the numbers will be until they start arriving... 

It would be nice if people use the search function first.

• Like 2

Seems like that 6 of the EZ Riders are at malton now. Also I hope that the 48 Erin Mills and the 46 Tenth Line-Osprey will get converted to 40' after the 07 and the 08 EZ Rider retirement. Sometimes the 46 can see quite a bit of ridership during rush, to the point that people have to start standing up. I feel like that people should never have to stand up on a EZ rider. 

And it seems like that some 05's have been moved to Malton too. And why are there 12 D60LFRs at Malton? Isn't route 5 the only artic route they have? Do they really need 12 artics for one route??

25 minutes ago, FlyerLFR said:

Seems like that 6 of the EZ Riders are at malton now. Also I hope that the 48 Erin Mills and the 46 Tenth Line-Osprey will get converted to 40' after the 07 and the 08 EZ Rider retirement. Sometimes the 46 can see quite a bit of ridership during rush, to the point that people have to start standing up. I feel like that people should never have to stand up on a EZ rider. 

And it seems like that some 05's have been moved to Malton too. And why are there 12 D60LFRs at Malton? Isn't route 5 the only artic route they have? Do they really need 12 artics for one route??

There have been 2007 Eldorados up at Malton for almost 5 years now. Currently Malton has 0701-0707 that are used on route 24, 30 and sometimes 16.

Malton has also had 0301-0302 and 0501-0505 for years now. Often there will be other random 03s and 05s at Malton for periods of time while one of Malton's buses needs to be swapped out for maintenance.

As for artics, Malton has 12 artics that are used primarily on route 5. The 5 requires 13 buses during rush hour, 9 of which are to be assigned articulated buses. When factoring in a spare ratio it's easy to understand why Malton has 12 artics.

The 42 is supposed to have 2 runs that get artics but it rarely happens due to lack of artics available. However with more artics arriving in early 2018 (Nova LFS) this will likely mean the 42 and 35 will be converted to artics.

• Like 3

On 2017-04-30 at 9:40 PM, FlyerLFR said:

Here's a solution, just ban strollers from MiWay or give drivers the right to not allow strollers to board is that's feasible.

2 wheelchairs? never seen that on one bus. I also remember strollers taking up seats on a very crowed bus. Its really annoying. I'm pretty sure that there's a policy that says strollers are only allowed if there's enough space.

This is a policy, and driver's do have the capability of denying a stroller if there is not enough space to safely board one.

On 2017-05-01 at 3:51 PM, Shaun said:

I guess you don't care about people who have kids and reply on public transit to get around? So because the bus is has a lot of people on it, you are going to ask parent and their child to wait in the rain or snow until a less full bus comes around? Is that fair?

MiWay's policy is that safety comes first. If there is no room for the stroller, then unfortunately the passenger will have to wait for the next bus. Same goes for wheelchairs - If there's already two wheelchairs onboard a third wheelchair cannot be boarded. The passenger will have to wait for the following bus. 

I know it really does suck as i've had it happen to me on numerous occasions and felt so bad doing it- however we always have to put safety first, and the last thing you want to do is put everyone's lives at risk in the even of an emergency and the bus needs to be evacuated.

17 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

There have been 2007 Eldorados up at Malton for almost 5 years now. Currently Malton has 0701-0707 that are used on route 24, 30 and sometimes 16.

Malton has also had 0301-0302 and 0501-0505 for years now. Often there will be other random 03s and 05s at Malton for periods of time while one of Malton's buses needs to be swapped out for maintenance.

As for artics, Malton has 12 artics that are used primarily on route 5. The 5 requires 13 buses during rush hour, 9 of which are to be assigned articulated buses. When factoring in a spare ratio it's easy to understand why Malton has 12 artics.

The 42 is supposed to have 2 runs that get artics but it rarely happens due to lack of artics available. However with more artics arriving in early 2018 (Nova LFS) this will likely mean the 42 and 35 will be converted to artics.

If they have 12 artics and 5 ony uses 9 artics, when why can't 42 get them? and shouldn't 19 get artics too?

6 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

If they have 12 artics and 5 ony uses 9 artics, when why can't 42 get them? and shouldn't 19 get artics too?

There was a decision made back around 2005 that the 1993 D60s would get replaced by 40 foot buses instead of artics. This is what part of the large 2005 D40LF order was for - 37 units to replace 21 artic units. If they had ordered articulated buses in 2005, then with all likelihood the 19 would still be running artics on weekdays today.

I think part of the assumption to convert route 19 to 40 foot operation on weekdays was the intention that crowding would be reduced if they operated more frequent service with signal priority.

The July 3 service changes will continue the MiWay Five plan somewhat, however as usual, the planned timelines and routes seem to change all the time. There is no route 54 as proposed, no route 38 streamlining, no cancellation of 25 or 43/87 as initially proposed. In fact it looks like there will be duplicating service along Matheson for the time being. Hopefully it's all just been pushed back until the fall.

What there is, however:

23 Lakeshore - Sunday frequency improves to 19 minutes from current 25 minutes (+1 bus) and earlier Sunday service

34 Credit Valley - New Sunday evening trips extending service to midnight.

38 Creditview - Route 38A Saturday Frequency has improved to 24 minutes from current 33 minutes (+1 bus). Slight improvement to Sunday service, from 45 minutes to 40 minutes (+1 bus). Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

39 Britannia - Route 39 will be extended to Skymark and Commerce via Matheson with off peak routing to Rose Cherry/Hershey Centre being maintained. Route 39 frequencies will remain the same as follows: Weekday peak 28-30 minutes, Weekday midday and evening 34-35 minutes, Saturday 33 minutes, Sunday 45 minutes. Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

43 Matheson - Routing revised to serve Terry Fox rather than McLaughlin. No change to frequency or service levels for now.

59 Airport Infield - Cancelled.

Other minor schedule changes to various routes.

Also there is this detour due to construction starting next Monday affecting the 7, 35 and 87.

As you can tell these changes pale in comparison to what had been advertised at information sessions and on the website. Hopefully they've just decided to phase it in within the next 2 service changes to allow people to get used to it (end of July and beginning of September).

• Like 2

On 2017-05-26 at 6:43 PM, Silly Tilley said:

The July 3 service changes will continue the MiWay Five plan somewhat, however as usual, the planned timelines and routes seem to change all the time. There is no route 54 as proposed, no route 38 streamlining, no cancellation of 25 or 43/87 as initially proposed. In fact it looks like there will be duplicating service along Matheson for the time being. Hopefully it's all just been pushed back until the fall.

What there is, however:

23 Lakeshore - Sunday frequency improves to 19 minutes from current 25 minutes (+1 bus) and earlier Sunday service

34 Credit Valley - New Sunday evening trips extending service to midnight.

38 Creditview - Route 38A Saturday Frequency has improved to 24 minutes from current 33 minutes (+1 bus). Slight improvement to Sunday service, from 45 minutes to 40 minutes (+1 bus). Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

39 Britannia - Route 39 will be extended to Skymark and Commerce via Matheson with off peak routing to Rose Cherry/Hershey Centre being maintained. Route 39 frequencies will remain the same as follows: Weekday peak 28-30 minutes, Weekday midday and evening 34-35 minutes, Saturday 33 minutes, Sunday 45 minutes. Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

43 Matheson - Routing revised to serve Terry Fox rather than McLaughlin. No change to frequency or service levels for now.

59 Airport Infield - Cancelled.

Other minor schedule changes to various routes.

Also there is this detour due to construction starting next Monday affecting the 7, 35 and 87.

As you can tell these changes pale in comparison to what had been advertised at information sessions and on the website. Hopefully they've just decided to phase it in within the next 2 service changes to allow people to get used to it (end of July and beginning of September).

38 Creditview has 36 minute midday frequency on weekdays but now the Saturday frequency will improve to 24 minutes? I find that odd.

I like 37 and 43. Give those routes full service and forget about 54.

I think if it they are not yet prepared to take 39 off Lisgar and shorten it, then they should probably not extend it to Skymark, because it will be a very long route. It would probably have been better to give 43 full service instead. The buses on 87 should be used on 43 instead to give it two-way service.

Instead putting an extra bus on 38, maybe it would have been better to take 38 off of Britannia/Bancroft, which would shorten the route and improve frequency anyways, and use the extra bus to make the 37 an all-day route to replace that section of 38. This would also improve the peak frequency of 38.

Taking 38/A off Britannia/Bancroft would shorten the route by approx 10 minutes in each direction, and improve its midday frequency to 31 minutes on weekdays and 25 minutes on Saturdays. The 38/A can be shortened even further by rerouting it along Erindale Station Rd. instead of Wolfdale.

For the 37, one bus would be enough to provide 40 minute service during midday for Bancroft Dr, which is similar to the service that the 38 currently provides. And of course, where 37 overlap with 38 would be a major increase in midday frequency for the Creditview corridor, and the busiest section of the corridor no less.