MiWay

Orion VIII

I didn't know this was a Walmart/Zellers/Target thread!! :D Where are the flyers for each store? :lol:

I was trying to steer the conversation back to transit with the Westdale Mall terminal suggestion.

Did anyone attend either open house for the Hurontario LRT? I'm out of town and missed them in person. What was discussed that didn't show up on the display panels?

I work for Mississauga Transportation and Works, and we're had a presentation on the BRT project a little while back. The opening dates have been a little confusing, and it was cleared up in the presentation.

The BRT will be opened up in sections, with the segment between Hurontario St, and Tahoe Drive opening first. I'll try to get the presentation online sometime. There is nothing confidential in the slides, and presenter was quite happy to give it out.

As it stands:

BRT West - 2014

Contract 1(Hurontario to Tahoe) late 2013

Contract 2 and 3(Tahoe to Renforth) 2014

Renforth Gateway - 2015

427 Transit Priority - 2012/2013

Kipling Gateway(Regional Terminal) - 2015

I work for Mississauga Transportation and Works, and we're had a presentation on the BRT project a little while back. The opening dates have been a little confusing, and it was cleared up in the presentation.

The BRT will be opened up in sections, with the segment between Hurontario St, and Tahoe Drive opening first. I'll try to get the presentation online sometime. There is nothing confidential in the slides, and presenter was quite happy to give it out.

As it stands:

BRT West - 2014

Contract 1(Hurontario to Tahoe) late 2013

Contract 2 and 3(Tahoe to Renforth) 2014

Renforth Gateway - 2015

427 Transit Priority - 2012/2013

Kipling Gateway(Regional Terminal) - 2015

Those dates are the exact same as the ones in one of the budget presentations that I posted on here earlier in the year.

EDIT: Here it is in one of the Budget Committee agendas from January 16th on page 39, http://www.mississau...ry1617part2.pdf

The Khalsa Day procession that takes place every year in Malton always cancels the 22 FINCH for the duration of the procession. I guess it's not that big of an inconvenience to passengers to have a 3 hour gap in service. Otherwise, couldn't they reroute the buses south from Westwood on Goreway to Derry, head east to the 427, north on the 427 to Finch and then continue the regular routing?

The Khalsa Day procession that takes place every year in Malton always cancels the 22 FINCH for the duration of the procession. I guess it's not that big of an inconvenience to passengers to have a 3 hour gap in service. Otherwise, couldn't they reroute the buses south from Westwood on Goreway to Derry, head east to the 427, north on the 427 to Finch and then continue the regular routing?

You do know they walk from Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara at 7280 Airport Road in Malton to the Sikh Spiritual Centre at 9 Carrier Drive in Rexdale. which would explain no service on the 22 FINCH.

You do know they walk from Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara at 7280 Airport Road in Malton to the Sikh Spiritual Centre at 9 Carrier Drive in Rexdale. which would explain no service on the 22 FINCH.

The Brampton Transit and TTC routes aren't being affected. At least there's no notice about the procession on either website. GO is suspending service until 10:30 PM along Finch and Humber College on its Route 35. Digging around for the route it says Morning Star to Humberwood, north to Humberline, north to Finch, east to Westmore and then north to Carrier. It seems to be a mixed bag as to the extent of the road closures based on the detours.

The July Service Changes are available on the ATU 1572's website.

The most significant changes are related to restructuring in preparation for the BRT with routes being routed to the Skymark station (or Hub as they'e calling it). The 27 MATHESON and 89 MEADOWVALE-SUBWAY are both being cancelled and replaced with versions terminating at Skymark with timed transfers with the 35/35A EGLINTON to connect to Islington. Rush hour frequencies will improve to 10.5 minutes in the morning and 11 minutes in the afternoon.

The details are a bit sketchy, but the 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA will replace the 27 MATHESON with the route starting at Meadowvale Town Centre running along "Argentia, (Mississauga Rd.) Queen, Britannia and Matheson" to the Skymark Hub. I assume it's the same routing as the 27 along McLaughlin with the approach to Meadowvale being rerouted. Based on the new stops it sounds like Winston Churchill-Derry-Argentia-Turner Valley-Mississauga/Queen-Britannia-McLaughlin-Matheson-Explorer-Skymark-Commerce.

The 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK will replace the 89 MEADOWVALE-SUBWAY (still keeping the 80-series here) starting at Meadowvale Town Centre running with limited stops along "Winston Churchill, Britannia and Eglinton". Again, I'll assume it'll match the 89 running along Crediview. Similar to the current setup with the 27 and 89 the 87 will run south (east?) bound to Skymark and the 43 will return to Meadowvale in the morning with the reverse in the afternoon rush. Both routes will have 20.5 minute headways.

Rail service on the Milton Line will be improved at the end of June and routes serving the various stations will have their trips adjusted to meet the revised train schedule where they can be accommodated: 32 LISGAR GO, 41 THOMAS, 44 MISSISSAUGA RD., 46 TENTH LINE, 49 McDOWELL, 64 MEADOWVALE GO, 67 STREETSVILLE GO, 90 TERRAGAR-COPENHAGEN and 91 HILLCREST.

Aside from the usual high school special changes the rest of the changes are simply schedule tweaks.

Weekday changes:

1 DUNDAS

3 BLOOR

6 WOODLANDS

13 GLEN ERIN

14A LORNE PARK INDUSTRIAL

20 RATHBURN

23 LAKESHORE

26 BURNHAMTHORPE

29 PARK ROYAL

51 TOMKEN

61/61A MAVIS

76 CITY CENTRE-SUBWAY

201 DUNDAS

The 107 MALTON EXPRESS will serve the Viscount LINK station directly. The 88 WONDERLAND will run daily and will be using the blue express buses.

Saturday service tweaks:

4 SHERWAY

8 CAWTHRA

Sunday/Holiday service tweaks:

All of these routes will be tweaked so that there are better connections with each other to improve overall service along the corridor.

13 GLEN ERIN

29B PARK ROYAL-HOMELANDS

48 ERIN MILLS

The following route wll be accessible:

43 ARGENTIA-MEADOWVALE

46 TENTH LINE

82 FINANCIAL

87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK

107 MALTON EXPRESS

Stop changes/relocations:

6 WOODLANDS (eastbound Living Arts/Square One)

Several stops associated with the new 43 and 87 routes.

Based on the new stops it sounds like Winston Churchill-Derry-Argentia-Turner Valley-Mississauga/Queen-Britannia-McLaughlin-Matheson-Explorer-Skymark-Commerce.

I think it will follow 38A's routing. So, it's Winston Churchill -> Argentia -> Kitimat -> Mississauga -> Britannia -> McLaughlin -> Matheson -> Skymark Hub.

Sadly, Meadowvale residents (and transferees from other routes) who work along the Matheson corridor are still being denied a bi-directional service.

What does it mean when they say the 107 will serve the Airport Train directly?

If you check the Google Maps, the latest aerial view shows a loop in front of Viscount Station under construction. The construction in that particular loop is likely finished, hence Route 107 can serve the LINK Station directly.

But I still think MiWay should run an Airport Express to both Terminals 1 and 3, like the TTC's 192 since taking the 107 + LINK Train to Terminal 1 is actually longer than taking 7, and taking the 107 + LINK Train to Terminal 3 has no time savings over taking 7 + LINK Train.

If you check the Google Maps, the latest aerial view shows a loop in front of Viscount Station under construction. The construction in that particular loop is likely finished, hence Route 107 can serve the LINK Station directly.

It's definitely finished, the LINK shuttle used that loop when the trains were down earlier this year.

When I took the 107 last year it stopped right beside the parking garage, but I see what you mean with that loop.

There must not be demand for an airport bus. Really, this is Mississauga, and I think despite my hopes, people would still drive to the airport if there was a viable transit option. Most people arriving and staying in Mississauga (not Toronto) rent a car or have family pick them up. Of course, Toronto is a different story because people bus then take the subway downtown.

Not that I don't think having Miway serve the terminal directly isn't a good idea, just that it probably would not be as successful as hoped.

First off, sorry if I didn't catch all of the details from the Service Change, it was pretty late when I posted it.

When I took the 107 last year it stopped right beside the parking garage, but I see what you mean with that loop.

There must not be demand for an airport bus. Really, this is Mississauga, and I think despite my hopes, people would still drive to the airport if there was a viable transit option. Most people arriving and staying in Mississauga (not Toronto) rent a car or have family pick them up. Of course, Toronto is a different story because people bus then take the subway downtown.

Not that I don't think having Miway serve the terminal directly isn't a good idea, just that it probably would not be as successful as hoped.

The taxi rates for some parts of Mississauga rival taking a cab to downtown Toronto! If the BRT routes ran 7 days a week all day then perhaps it wouldn't be such a pain to take transit within Mississauga to the airport, either to the terminals directly or to the Viscount LINK station. As for serving Terminal 3, there's already a lot of traffic with the TTC, hotel and car rental shuttles as well as people picking up/dropping off people that I don't think they could shoehorn another service (MT, BT or GO) without revising the setup. If transit could use the inner lanes then it could allow for other agencies. Perhaps if they coordinate schedules so that they're not all there at the same time.

Given how much time it seems to take the 192 to loop and loop between T1 and T3, might it not be faster for the passenger, to be dropped only at T1, under the station there, and take the train to T3? The only inconvenience is the extra elevators really ... but more than once, it's crossed my mind after having boarded the bus at T3, that it would have been faster to just take the LINK to T1 and board there.

This is what passengers on the Metrolinx Airport Rail Link to downtown will have to do, which will stop at the T1 station.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but TTC revised the 192 routing within the terminals to try to tighten up the running time between terminals.

also for most people the ease of just riding a bus an extra few minutes instead of getting off & traversing the airport elevators/escalators/moving walkways, & people to the other terminal, is what is easier when you are lugging a lot of luggage..

Given how much time it seems to take the 192 to loop and loop between T1 and T3, might it not be faster for the passenger, to be dropped only at T1, under the station there, and take the train to T3? The only inconvenience is the extra elevators really ... but more than once, it's crossed my mind after having boarded the bus at T3, that it would have been faster to just take the LINK to T1 and board there.

This is what passengers on the Metrolinx Airport Rail Link to downtown will have to do, which will stop at the T1 station.

Agreed and I point this out to people all the time yet their eyes glaze over in confusion.

There was a story in the Toronto Star about the LINK trains being shut down to allow for the installation of the rail line and also to upgrade the trains to operate with an additional 7th car. It'll be bustituted during the down time. Pearson's long-term plans call for Terminals 1 and 3 to eventually be connected into a single terminal. Hopefully they'll install some high-speed walkways throughout the unified terminal. I don't know if the filled in gap would allow for an improved transit setup for Terminal 3 or perhaps relocated to a facility similar to what's done at Terminal 1.

In other news, from the City's Press Releases:

Media Invitation: Mississauga Transportation Forum – The Case for Investment

May 17, 2012

Congestion is impacting residents, businesses and the economy and the City of Mississauga is taking action by organizing a Mississauga Transportation Forum on May 22 to address this serious issue.

“This transportation forum is designed to generate discussion about alternative funding opportunities that will allow the City to continue delivering transportation improvements,” said Martin Powell, commissioner Transportation and Works Department.

Key stakeholders representing community groups, the business community and officials from various levels of government have been invited to take part in the “Mississauga Transportation Forum – The Case for Investment.”

The media are invited to attend this discussion about funding and transportation. Guest speakers:

• Bruce McCuaig, president & chief executive officer, Metrolinx

• Martin Powell, commissioner, Mississauga Transportation and Works

• John Howe, vice president investment strategy and project evaluation, Metrolinx

• Ron J. Aitken, vice president transit and rail systems, SNC Lavalin.

Powell added the forum is the outcome of a recommendation at Council last year to organize a workshop based on the staff report, “Moving Mississauga: From Vision to Action – Mississauga’s Draft Interim Transportation Strategy.”

The Mississauga Transportation Forum will take place on Tuesday, May 22 from 8 a.m.-11:30 a.m. at the City’s Living Arts Centre in the BMO Room.

For information visit the event webpage at www.mississauga.ca/transportationforum

Media are requested to RSVP their attendance by contacting Kimberly Hicks at: kimberly.hicks@mississauga.ca or 905-615-3200 ext. 5232.

Pearson's long-term plans call for Terminals 1 and 3 to eventually be connected into a single terminal.
Those were very long-term plans though ... long enough that it wasn't clear if they'd join the building, or if Terminal 3 would be so old by then, that they'd simply knock it down, and replace it with the Terminal 1 extension.

First up is the construction of Pier G, on the eastern side of Terminal 1, over where Terminal 2 used to be. And then an extension of Terminal 1 to the east (including the expansion of LINK with a second Terminal 1 station), and the construction of Pier H and and possibly Pier I. This is all detalied in the current (2008) masterplan - which extends planning out to 2030, and doesn't include the connection to Terminal 3, which would put that in the 2030s or later. If you go through the plan, the constraint at that point, doesn't seem to be the capacity limits of the two terminals, but the capacity limits of the runways (included proposed new runways).