Next ETS Bus Order - 2009 Delivery

Old Look

Hopefully ETS doesn't use this order to retire any more GMC's, since according to the city budget documents we only have 19 spare diesel buses in rush hour.

This order will almost certainly be diesel, since despite the fact that hybrid buses are "the best choice environmentally and financially" (according to ETS), the only order for hybrids being placed in the token 47 order to replace the trolleys.

For the record, are the ETS order buses mostly made in Winnipeg or in Minnesota? If Winnipeg is full, can production of Canadian buses be sent to Crookston, or vice-versa? Are there regulations stipulating a certain amount of Canadian labour needs to be in Canadian New Flyer products? Thanks for answering these questions for an ignorant Quebecker who never really sees New Flyers :)

For the record, are the ETS order buses mostly made in Winnipeg or in Minnesota? If Winnipeg is full, can production of Canadian buses be sent to Crookston, or vice-versa? Are there regulations stipulating a certain amount of Canadian labour needs to be in Canadian New Flyer products? Thanks for answering these questions for an ignorant Quebecker who never really sees New Flyers :)

Like Orion, New Flyer products are built jointly in Canada and the US. Shells are made in Canada and shipped to the US for finishing.

The Invero was apparently built entirely in the US, and it's very likely US orders could be built entirely in the US.

I know that New Flyer runs two production lines in Winnipeg, one regular, and one alternative fuels (CNG, not sure if that included hybrids).

I would post photos I have at the New Flyer plant, but, I believe like you guys out east with NovaBus, I prefer not to post photos taken at New Flyer's plant.

I agree, it's probably best not to. Thanks for the information. However I guess we Canadians have Winnipeg builders plates and not Crookston. I would like to hear what you have to say on that...

If New Flyer was seeing so much business, I don't see why they wouldn't open a subsidiary plant as well provided business is maintained at current rates but with the current economic conditions... maybe we'll face a few years of having no new buses.

I presume Nova's new plant in Plattsburgh, NY, will build buses solely for the US market.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

4754-4773 here we come...

Honestly I don't think 25 buses is going to make much of an impact if they are already short of buses.

I also hope we actually can get them on time - New Flyer must be backed up like crazy. Though I guess it didn't specify what exactly they were. Here's hoping for Nova LFSes or Orion VIIs. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
4754-4773 here we come...

Honestly I don't think 25 buses is going to make much of an impact if they are already short of buses.

I also hope we actually can get them on time - New Flyer must be backed up like crazy. Though I guess it didn't specify what exactly they were. Here's hoping for Nova LFSes or Orion VIIs. :P

lol theres more proof that ets shouldnt have retired so many gmc fishbowls. then u wouldnt be so short.

well then how is ordering buses gona help build a new garage would be more helpful then 25 new buses if what you say is true

Replace 25 GM's or BBC's.

I think that you missed the point though. ETS would have the current shortage with or without the GM's that were retired, simply because there is not enough garage space. Hence, blaming the shortage on GM's that were retired is a moot point.

Replace 25 GM's or BBC's.

I think that you missed the point though. ETS would have the current shortage with or without the GM's that were retired, simply because there is not enough garage space. Hence, blaming the shortage on GM's that were retired is a moot point.

Ok so the Gms that were retired are still there ? and if so that is the reason for the storage shortage and the 25 buses will replace 25 or the 44 remaining Gmcs or 25 of the 56 BBc? correct? ( sorry for my slowness)

Right now there are 29 BBCs and about 50 GMs in service. The new buses will probably retire some of the BBCs or GMs.

Keeping the GMs that the LFRs retired wouldn't do any good, as there would be no garage space for them and no drivers to operate them. :P

Right now there are 29 BBCs and about 50 GMs in service. The new buses will probably retire some of the BBCs or GMs.

Keeping the GMs that the LFRs retired wouldn't do any good, as there would be no garage space for them and no drivers to operate them. :P

ok thanks very much :P

• 1 month later...

From "Hicks on Six",

The city's LRT fleet will double to about 65 cars once the South Campus station opens, but older cars will be rotated into the shop for refurbishment. On the bus side, 121 badly needed new buses are coming. But, 79 old GMs and trolleys will retire, bringing the total rolling stock to 903.

Hicks is right, the LRT fleet size will double, but to 74, not 65...

So now how can we believe the 121 number?

From "Hicks on Six",

The city's LRT fleet will double to about 65 cars once the South Campus station opens, but older cars will be rotated into the shop for refurbishment. On the bus side, 121 badly needed new buses are coming. But, 79 old GMs and trolleys will retire, bringing the total rolling stock to 903.

Hicks is right, the LRT fleet size will double, but to 74, not 65...

So now how can we believe the 121 number?

And why are the buses so badly needed apparently? We replaced a huge amount of buses already, and are far ahead of where we would have been should the usual practise of ordering 50 or so buses each year have continued.

I guess it could be to suppliment the LFR's. Saw another dead one today. 4642 getting hooked up to Westwood tow truck.