Board new look, from scratch

BradLee

Board new look, from scratch  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel with the new CPTDB- the new look, the new memory, starting from scratch, etc.?

• Good. It's up again so i'm happy
    • Upset. There was so much useful information in the old one...
    • So-So. Although the memory is gone, I don't really mind starting from scratch again.

Although I will miss some of the stuff on the old board, ( I met a VERY close friend on that board) I also like this board, so far it is accessible, and I like the fact that it is easier to switch between TEXT mode and Graphicial mode.

I also am happy to just have it back.

Thanks to the Admins for bringing it back.

Hopefully the floatsam won't be back.[/font]

Those PM pop-ups are a new feature with this updated version of the board.

I changed the posting restriction to 1MB per post, instead of the 100kb it was apparently before.

If I get some time and figure out how, I'm going to try to put the old psots back up, just no registration or anything.

So you still have it all on your server, it's just not available for access by the general public.

Thats good. :)

OK, sorry. Each member has up to 5MB of space now. Be conservative, please. :)

Any particular reason why you felt a page "reset" was necessary, considering the fact that there are many other transit websites which have been left basically intact? No matter, we shall see soon enough if any outstanding issues do appear--especially with respect to previous information and references now presumably "lost in cyberspace".

Otherwise, now that that I have your attention, I want to take advantage of this thread by pointing out a flaw or oversight which definitely needs addressing.

I should mention that I have no choice but to raise this issue here, since my emails have either gone ignored or have been hijacked--such as the case may be.

Following the webpage reset, and having attempted to re-register under my original username no less than 3 times--without success--and then noticing that although my username then appeared on the updated members list, it subsequently disappeared without explanation, thus requiring me to create a new username in order to login and post messages. Not the end of the world, certainly, but a nuisance nonetheless. Possibly this has happened to other members as well.

I trust in your competence and your prompt response to an earlier issue will compel you to investigate this matter and smooth out any outstanding glitches in future?

Thank you.

• Board Admin

You seem to have a pessimistic tone. First off, it was the administrators' decision to start from scratch, considering all the crap happening on the board anyway. As other people have mentioned, this allows us to weed out some members and useless garbage posted on the old board. We did consider keeping the old posts, but it was later decided to start fresh. Jan paid for the forum software, so all decisions he makes are final.

I already posted that nothing is lost - I still have all the information that was on the previous forum. I don't have time to just sit in front of my computer and spend all my time on the CPTDB so that a few people can access the old stuff the day after we set up the new board. Again, I don't even know if I can bring it back properly, but I will try.

I assume Jan did not like you or something, and that is why your name "disappeared" from the members list. The big red text on the main part of the board says that validation is in effect and administrators must approve accounts in order for them to become active. I can tell you now that I do not delete any members, but sometimes approve them. However, Jan does review members and maybe he removed your account. Or he denied your registration. For what reason? I don't know.

You seem to have a pessimistic tone. First off, it was the administrators' decision to start from scratch, considering all the crap happening on the board anyway. As other people have mentioned, this allows us to weed out some members and useless garbage posted on the old board. We did consider keeping the old posts, but it was later decided to start fresh. Jan paid for the forum software, so all decisions he makes are final.

I already posted that nothing is lost - I still have all the information that was on the previous forum. I don't have time to just sit in front of my computer and spend all my time on the CPTDB so that a few people can access the old stuff the day after we set up the new board. Again, I don't even know if I can bring it back properly, but I will try.

I assume Jan did not like you or something, and that is why your name "disappeared" from the members list. The big red text on the main part of the board says that validation is in effect and administrators must approve accounts in order for them to become active. I can tell you now that I do not delete any members, but sometimes approve them. However, Jan does review members and maybe he removed your account. Or he denied your registration. For what reason? I don't know.

Not pessimistic, only surprised.

This is the first forum I've participated in where this has happened, but I presume whoever decided to reset everything had given the move considerable thought, and I imagine most members are quite capable of recovering anything they may have lost.

Of course, there have been occasions where I've discovered a webpage suddenly handed over to new management, or even shut down for one reason or another. Nothing lasts forever.

There is one thing you said, however, that I do find disturbing--as, I am sure, most others will agree--where you say a member's name could disappear if someone "did not like you or something". Such an abitrary stance raises alarm bells, and would definitely constitute discrimination unless, of course, said member had specifically broken the posted forum rules.

I must have seen and heard everything from the various forums I've participated in. Certainly, there are a few rotten apples in every bunch, and these are usually dealt with after the usual warnings, or they simply lose interest and drop out.

Then there are those who, for whatever reason, somehow manage to wreak havoc with impunity and nothing ever seems to be done about it--including even persons in authority who have taken it upon themselves to throw their weight around, having decided that only their "politically correct" views would be tolerated in each and every thread. Needless to say, such forums are quickly reduced into becoming "old boy networks" or "closed cliques". Not a pretty sight, to be sure.

I've heard references by CPTDB members about other transit websites where arguments reign supreme.

Thankfully, there seems to be little of that here.

In any event, I look forward to seeing new members and fresh ideas as this website evolves. After all, every forum's worst enemy is stagnation, isn't it?

• Board Admin

There is a reason for "not liking" a member as you stated, and that is causing trouble in the past. New members would not be denied registration under any circumstances, that's for sure.

There have beens ome arguments here, but we'll save that topic for another day...

• 2 weeks later...

A few new features I like:

1) The new Forum Options, especially "Mark forum read and return to board index"; that helps me keep track of what I have and haven't read.

2) Automatic consolidation of replies to multiple topics within the same thread. I first noticed this in the Edmonton sub-forum (another good innovation) tonight. Within less than 5 minutes I replied to 2 separate posts within the same thread; the board automatically consolidated my replies to both into a single post. Before that, there would have been 2 separate posts.

3) The Quick Edit feature.

The stupid thing also appears to suffer from alzheimers. I log in, "Remember me" is checked, I come back an hour later and I'm not logged in.

I had that happen to me--the board would never remember me. I think I've gotten it to work by deleting the cookie from the old board. Once again I am remembered.

2) Automatic consolidation of replies to multiple topics within the same thread. I first noticed this in the Edmonton sub-forum (another good innovation) tonight. Within less than 5 minutes I replied to 2 separate posts within the same thread; the board automatically consolidated my replies to both into a single post. Before that, there would have been 2 separate posts.

3) The Quick Edit feature.

Same for me too! I just realized this new feature while replying at the Montreal forums. Also the new quick edit, it's great.

• Root Admin

Just a little follow up to this thread from me finally (sorry, but I dont have alot of time for CPTDB lately...)

To DBCooper,

I do not know what happened to you account in the past. I can assure you, I do not "hate, dislike, ban for no reason". If you notice carefully, "in the past" I have removed various members (who have been given another chance for this board), to start fresh.

Myself and the other administrators keep a close eye on a few members, and try to keep this baord as peacefull as it can be. So far, ever since this new board has opened, its been alot better.

Like Ashton said, I have paid for this new board to increase security for one, and to have an updated version of the board, where we have more and better features to work with on the software.

After all the attacks on members, and security breaching, it was decided to flip the switch for member validation. This, as you can see, is working alot better than the other board.

If anyone has any other questions, suggestions, compliants or anything else. I dont bite. Please PM me as I can't keep up with all the posts on this board (seeing as I only got to this thread just now). I will be happy to help anyone out with anythign they need. It may take me a bit to reply, but I will get back to you! :huh:

Just a little follow up to this thread from me finally (sorry, but I dont have alot of time for CPTDB lately...)

To DBCooper,

I do not know what happened to you account in the past. I can assure you, I do not "hate, dislike, ban for no reason". If you notice carefully, "in the past" I have removed various members (who have been given another chance for this board), to start fresh.

Myself and the other administrators keep a close eye on a few members, and try to keep this baord as peacefull as it can be. So far, ever since this new board has opened, its been alot better.

Like Ashton said, I have paid for this new board to increase security for one, and to have an updated version of the board, where we have more and better features to work with on the software.

After all the attacks on members, and security breaching, it was decided to flip the switch for member validation. This, as you can see, is working alot better than the other board.

If anyone has any other questions, suggestions, compliants or anything else. I dont bite. Please PM me as I can't keep up with all the posts on this board (seeing as I only got to this thread just now). I will be happy to help anyone out with anythign they need. It may take me a bit to reply, but I will get back to you! :lol:

Thanks for the update.

As you said, this forum seems to have restarted with few hassles, so let's hope it continues that way. :huh: