Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On 6/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, DavidW said:

I've been an every-day transit rider since the 1980s and am very well aware of the issue and its history.

Since 2020 it's at a whole different level.

Calgarys is even worse... makes what I saw growing up in Winnipeg look like an episode of Barney. Most of the CTrain stations & downtown stations here now, look exactly like those pics, if not worse. And that's even if the glass is still intact, and without the bodily fluids...

WPS needs to do more. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Yesterday, none of the D60LF's went out at all, and only one (977) went out the day before in the morning. I'm not gonna say they're retired just yet, it's too early to say for sure, but their time does seem to be running out.

Given the lesser peak vehicle requirements in the summer it could also be that they're too far down the age/condition ordered-list to get sent out more than rarely, and they might be seen more frequently again after Labour Day...

Even so, "use me last" is next to "scrap me".

2 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Given the lesser peak vehicle requirements in the summer it could also be that they're too far down the age/condition ordered-list to get sent out more than rarely, and they might be seen more frequently again after Labour Day...

Yea like I from what I was told new Artic were supposed to be delivered and in service by summer. 

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

They had been getting used every weekday, both AM and PM, up until yesterday, so I don't think that is the case. Heck, even the ex-Calgary D40LF's still get used in large numbers in the AM every day. Even with Summer service, we don't have enough XD60's to cover everything. In terms of articulated runs on the current schedule, in the afternoon the BLUE has 18 runs, the 35 has 2, the 36 has 6, the 54 has 2, the 59 has 2, the 60 has 10, the 671 has 2, and the 672 has 2, for a total of 44. We only have 28 XD60's, which isn't enough. To be fair, out of those 8 routes, only the BLUE absolutely needs artics in the Summer, and we do have enough XD60's to cover the BLUE, but still.

1 hour ago, Isaac Williams said:

They had been getting used every weekday, both AM and PM, up until yesterday, so I don't think that is the case. Heck, even the ex-Calgary D40LF's still get used in large numbers in the AM every day. Even with Summer service, we don't have enough XD60's to cover everything. In terms of articulated runs on the current schedule, in the afternoon the BLUE has 18 runs, the 35 has 2, the 36 has 6, the 54 has 2, the 59 has 2, the 60 has 10, the 671 has 2, and the 672 has 2, for a total of 44. We only have 28 XD60's, which isn't enough. To be fair, out of those 8 routes, only the BLUE absolutely needs artics in the Summer, and we do have enough XD60's to cover the BLUE, but still.

If they don't have enough Artics for all those runs, they should fill the Blue runs first and then the other runs. It bothers me when I see the 60 with an artic but the Blue does not. Having been on the Blue every weekday during rushhour, crowded 40-footers are not fun. I would be curious if the 60 has less ridership overall since the Blue was introduced and the 47 started serving the U of M. 

45 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

I would be curious if the 60 has less ridership overall since the Blue was introduced and the 47 started serving the U of M. 

I think ridership on the 60 has actually increased. Before 2020, there were several routes that ran up Pembina south of Jubilee, including both the 60 and 160, plus the 170 on evenings and Sundays, not to mention the expresses. Now it's just the 47 and 60, and the 60 is the only one that goes up Graham. However, this is just my theory, and I could be completely wrong.

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

If they don't have enough Artics for all those runs, they should fill the Blue runs first and then the other runs. It bothers me when I see the 60 with an artic but the Blue does not. Having been on the Blue every weekday during rushhour, crowded 40-footers are not fun. I would be curious if the 60 has less ridership overall since the Blue was introduced and the 47 started serving the U of M. 

Also. They do trade off a Artic with a 40ft. It’s very very rarely you’ll see a Artic for a Artic 

4 hours ago, Viafreak said:

I would be curious if the 60 has less ridership overall since the Blue was introduced and the 47 started serving the U of M. 

As was noted above, the 47 not going down Graham - to the annoyance of East End residents, I’m sure - funnels passengers headed to destinations on Graham onto the 60 (on Pembina) or BLUE (on the Transitway). The result, from my (albeit more limited) experience, tends to be the 60s running packed and the 47s running empty, even heading away from the U of M at the PM rush. The contrast is stark on weekends, where I’ve been 60s that would likely be standing-room-only without artics (it doesn’t help that that route has serious schedule-adherence issues on weekends, and especially on Saturdays) and 47s with single-digit passenger counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recently, Winnipeg Transit published the upcoming Fall schedule publicly. Here's a few things worthy of note.

• There will be a new school charter, S443, for Pembina Trails Collegiate. A few other school charters are re-numbered and/or re-routed.
  • The 75 has a departure from the U of M at 09:50, which ends at Southdale Centre (75-17). I think that's the first time a 75 trip has ended at Southdale (despite many trips originating there). The 75 also has runs numbered 75-71 to 75-79. However, aside from most of them only doing 1 departure, there's not really anything too special about them.
  • There will be a 19-26, 21-48, 75-30, 91-4 and 100-40, the highest ever (naturally numbered) runs for their respective routes. The 21-48 is also the highest ever overall, beating the 162-45.
  • From approximately 7:25 PM to 9:40 PM on Weekdays, the 11 will have 6 buses (numbered 11-71 to 11-76) operating between Polo Park and Pacific Terminal (in addition to the full-length 11's).
  • The 95 loses a bus, and now only has 3 (instead of 4) during rush-hour, and 2 (instead of 3) during off-peak.
  • The following stops are discontinued:
    - 60401 Westbound Grant at Lindsay (66)
    - 60402 Eastbound Grant at Lindsay (66)
    - 60403 Westbound Grant at Renfrew (66)
    - 60406 Eastbound Grant at Centennial (66)
    - 60407 Westbound Grant at Beaverbrook (66)
    - 60411 Eastbound Grant at Renfrew (66)
    - 61060 Northbound Lindenwood at Lindenwood Manor (641, 650)
    - 61061 Southbound Lindenwood at Lindenwood Manor (650)

Nothing special for the artics or D30LF's, at least with what's been designated.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The agenda for September's Public Works Commitee meeting is up. Quite a bit of Transit-related items on the agenda. Item 1 deals with signage from Pembina showing where the RT stations are (not sure how that would work for the stations north of Clarence). Item 2 relates to new 40-foot diesel buses coming from NFI (pretty sure our 60-footers are on backlog considering there's Toronto and Mississauga buses that were ordered in 2021 only being assembled now). Item 3 deals with Winnipeg Transit Plus. Items 4-7 deal with the Transit Master Plan. Item 4 proposes new service to Castlebury Meadows (near Centreport) with a new route 334 Adsum. Initial routing will cover the existing 17/77 service along Adsum and will be on-demand outside rush hour. Item 5 proposes new service to Aurora (near McPhillips/Main) with a new route 330 Murray. Both route terminate at Garden City Centre. The 330 could take pressure off the 18/32 service to Riverbend. Item 6 adds another feeder to Waverly West (Route 678) replacing the 693 rush hour bus. I believe this to relieve pressure on the 671/672 which are using precious 60-footers. Item 7 is basically about accerating the TMP. Items 4-6 will be implemented next year due to driver shortages.

One idea I've had for awhile, which has been reinforced by what I've seen this morning, is having the 693 be extended to the U of M, following the 60 route from Pembina. This morning I saw a group of like 10 - 20 people getting left behind by multiple full BLUE's at southbound Chancellor Station. If the 693 went to the U of M, they could take that, relieving pressure on the BLUE. I don't know what the 60 was like, but I imagine doing this would help the 60 as well.

• 1 month later...

On the upcoming Winter schedule (begins December 17th), on Weekday and Saturday, the 21 will run until just after 9/10 PM. On Weekdays, the last outbound 21 will depart Portage & Spence WB (University of Winnipeg) at 9:01 PM, and the last inbound 21 will arrive at Pacific Terminal (City Hall) at 10:13 PM. As you might expect, the 11 won't go to Portage West until after 9 PM. The 22 is only slightly modified, and the 21 will continue to not operate on Sunday.

I think this is the first time an express route has been scheduled past 8 PM in at least 13 years (The 80 Industrial Express used to do it). Not including the 24, which operates local to and from Polo Park after 7 PM, or specials like the Red River Ex or Folk Fest expresses.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CBC news story:

Winnipeg family gives up on car-free lifestyle after struggles with public transit

24 hours ago

A Winnipeg couple who publicly announced they'd given up their vehicle last summer are now throwing in the towel on their car-free lifestyle, citing problems with Winnipeg Transit as the biggest obstacle.

For the written article, see CBC News.

For the video story, see CBC website.

Some quotes:

"The bus would often come late, or not at all,"

"Most of the bus shelters have homeless people living in them," said Palmquist. "There's meth pipes, there's broken beer bottles."

Waters said the family has also encountered security concerns onboard buses, including an encounter with a person in a mental health crisis that left her deeply shaken.

23 hours ago, wt_enthusiast_photos said:

Proposed plans To send the 649 and the 650 to Fort Whyte Centre. 

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/ViewPdf.asp?SectionId=711025&isMobile=yes

In addition the 649 will be going to Seel Station  IMO it should go to Fort Rouge Station  

IMG_1577.thumb.jpeg.e52ceec6dd100312eaa66623de92640f.jpegIMG_1579.thumb.jpeg.d84319b130669a7c70181526ce124ff0.jpeg

Yeah, that right turn is gonna catch the AT network users off guard who would not be used to right turns from SWRT.

23 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Yeah, that right turn is gonna catch the AT network users off guard who would not be used to right turns from SWRT.

Almost all of the phase 2 stations have right (in service) turns off the Transitway plus Osborne from phase 1. Osborne's right turn is for the 65 and 66. Beaumont's for the 29, 641 and 677. Seel for the 642, 650 and 694. Clarence for the 690. Chevrier for the 691. Fort Rouge does have a right turn for buses going into service. Same goes for Harkness. Plaza is the only fulltime transitway station without a turn off or on.

Note the 691 is not part of the TMP. I wonder how its ridership has fared since the opening of the Transitway. Before Phase 2 opened there was only rush hour service to Whyte Ridge from downtown. Thanks to the 649 and 650, there is all day service to downtown via the BLUE line. I can imagine that most of those passengers that took the 181 before 2020 now take the 649 or 650. I wouldn't be surprised if the 691 is cancelled next fall.

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Note the 691 is not part of the TMP. I wonder how its ridership has fared since the opening of the Transitway.

Passengers have been falling out of the windows, that's why they gave it an artic yesterday, lmao. (Yes, they seriously gave the 690/691 an artic, no joke.)

In all seriousness though, Whyte Ridge doesn't draw that much traffic in my experience, with the exception of Vincent Massey students, whom take the 649. I've always wondered what the point was of having both the 649 and 691. Should just give the 649 rush hour buses, and have the 690's not interlined, i.e. they deadhead to/from Seel/Kenaston.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

Almost all of the phase 2 stations have right (in service) turns off the Transitway plus Osborne from phase 1. Osborne's right turn is for the 65 and 66. Beaumont's for the 29, 641 and 677. Seel for the 642, 650 and 694. Clarence for the 690. Chevrier for the 691. Fort Rouge does have a right turn for buses going into service. Same goes for Harkness. Plaza is the only fulltime transitway station without a turn off or on.

Note the 691 is not part of the TMP. I wonder how its ridership has fared since the opening of the Transitway. Before Phase 2 opened there was only rush hour service to Whyte Ridge from downtown. Thanks to the 649 and 650, there is all day service to downtown via the BLUE line. I can imagine that most of those passengers that took the 181 before 2020 now take the 649 or 650. I wouldn't be surprised if the 691 is cancelled next fall.

Oh I'm well aware, but I was referring more so to that overpass spot specifically where that basically never happens unless it's a supe or WFPS.

3 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Note the 691 is not part of the TMP.

And yet its sister route, the 690, is. Wonder if they'll use it to serve that corner of Whyte Ridge that'll lose the 649 and 650 once they're extended to Whyte Ridge.

3 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Thanks to the 649 and 650, there is all day service to downtown via the BLUE line.

Whyte Ridge had all-day service to downtown via the Transitway before Phase 2 too, but even at rush hour, the 94 only ran once in a blue moon, and the weekend short-turn buses in fact did not connect with the 160 and 162.