Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I'm on a selective immunotherapy drug and I rode a transit bus to Polo Park from North Kildonan on Tuesday for the 1st time since March 2020 because a single family member was still afraid that traveling on a transit bus was as hazardous as an infectious disease ward.

I was considering going out again tomorrow.  When I looked at the Sunday schedule for route 11 I noticed that all buses from Glenway go to St. Charles, all buses via Donwood go to Westwood and all buses via Rothesay go to Crestview.   On Sundays each North Kildonan branch has an typical headway of 48 minutes  giving a combined headway of 16 minutes between Henderson @ Edison and City Hall.  I thought half the 11s were supposed to serve the Glenway branch like they did pre-COVID.

6 hours ago, cslusarc said:

When I looked at the Sunday schedule for route 11 I noticed that all buses from Glenway go to St. Charles, all buses via Donwood go to Westwood and all buses via Rothesay go to Crestview.   On Sundays each North Kildonan branch has an typical headway of 48 minutes  giving a combined headway of 16 minutes between Henderson @ Edison and City Hall.  I thought half the 11s were supposed to serve the Glenway branch like they did pre-COVID.

They still do on weekdays and Saturdays (including at night) - it’s only on Sundays where they operate like that. It’s been like that since the Winter 2022 change, I don’t know why.

44 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I don’t know why.

I think they cut the resources allocated to route 11 on Sundays.

When I last rode an 11 on a Sunday in 2019-20, the bus from the Portage West terminal was late and overcrowded.  The bus was too packed that no one would move down to give me a priority seat, so I stood dangerously beside my rollator close to the yellow line.

What they should've done is split the 11 at Polo Park like on Weekdays & Saturdays and operate the 21 on Sundays between 10:30am and 6:30pm when the mall is open.

1 hour ago, cslusarc said:

Even before Winter 2022, the Sunday 11 had 9 full-length buses, as it does now, and yet operated as normal (Glenway-Donwood-Glenway-Rothesay).

1 hour ago, cslusarc said:

What they should've done is split the 11 at Polo Park like on Weekdays & Saturdays and operate the 21 on Sundays between 10:30am and 6:30pm when the mall is open.

I couldn't agree more. The 11 can keep it's 9 buses all-day, and the 21 can have lets say 6 buses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cslusarc said:

Before COVID (when you would've last ridden it), the 11 had 10 buses that ran between Portage West and North Kildonan, and four "Shoppers' Special" short-turns that ran between Polo and the Concert Hall. Now, it's nine and three, respectively.

12 hours ago, cslusarc said:

When I last rode an 11 on a Sunday in 2019-20, the bus from the Portage West terminal was late and overcrowded.  [...]

Whenever I'm out on Sundays, there's no 21, so I have to ride the 11 the other way (from what I'm guessing you do). While the Shoppers' Specials help somewhat with the overcrowding, after around 3:00, the full-length ones stay packed past Polo. The St. Charles ones seem to be the worst for that, probably because it's the only bus between downtown and Unicity on Sundays and only comes every 48 minutes. Running the 21 on Sundays may not solve the overcrowding issue entirely, but it would certainly help.

Has 2023 comes to an end we definitely got a lot of interesting sighting……

538 on the 88 and 253 on the 18 Templeton on February 7th 

654 on the 93 (93-1) all day bus on February 22nd

933 on the 29 on March 8th 

984 on the 77/74 on March 21st

661 on the 79 and 645 on the 18 all day buses on May 9th 

453 on the 88 on June 19th 

931 on the 97 on July 5th 

520 on the 88 on August 2nd

471 on the 86/87 on August 11th 

645 on the 650 all day bus on August 15 

664 on the 55 all day bus on August 22nd 

375 on the 11 on September 13th 

651 on the 77 all day bus on November 10th 

393 on the 690/691 on November 23rd

384 on the S409 on November 30th 

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Kirschblute said:

Any updates on the new arctics that Winnipeg was supposed to get last year? 

Wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed. When I went by the New Flyer plant last summer (August), I did not see anything that looked like Winnipeg Transit. Saw some artics but the only one that stood out was for MiWay in Mississauga.  The information on the wiki is incorrect. Thanks to retirements of the D60LFs - I have only seen 977 and 984 in service - and the fact that there is only 20 XD60's on a good day, the new artics are definitely needed especially on the Blue at times. This schedule change has been good. Last schedule change did not have enough space especially on the U of M downtown buses. Judging by the current timeline, the diesel buses might arrive at the same time as the trial electrics.

28 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed. When I went by the New Flyer plant last summer (August), I did not see anything that looked like Winnipeg Transit. Saw some artics but the only one that stood out was for MiWay in Mississauga.  The information on the wiki is incorrect. Thanks to retirements of the D60LFs - I have only seen 977 and 984 in service - and the fact that there is only 20 XD60's on a good day, the new artics are definitely needed especially on the Blue at times. This schedule change has been good. Last schedule change did not have enough space especially on the U of M downtown buses. Judging by the current timeline, the diesel buses might arrive at the same time as the trial electrics.

Our buses don't come from this plant. They are delivered from the US factory. The only thing we start here is the bus frame then they are flat bedded to the US.  I have 984 And 973 marked as MIA 95% they are retired can't confirm it waiting for my buddy to get back to me about that one 

977 is the only one out as of lately. 985 hasnt been out since November 

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

Weren't we supposed to get these new artics all the way back in 2022, almost 2 years ago? If so, New Flyer really needs to step up their game, I mean jeez. As for the XD60's we currently have, two of them are MIA. 384 hasn't gone out since December 12th, and 379 hasn't gone out since September 13th. I was at Brandon Garage with my dad on December 15th, and 379 was on one of the repair tracks, collecting dust. 388 also hasn't gone out in 7 days. Overall, 23 XD60's went out today, plus 977, all on 100 runs (some of which also do other routes this change).

BTW, 977 is the only D60LF's that's gone out since mid-November.

According to the Public Works Commitee minutes, there was some severe delays with getting the funding from the federal government. Now that the funding was approved in November 2022, they could pursue the delivery of the buses. As the meeting that discussed this happened in April of 2023, it would make sense why we didn't see any new artics. I am aware that they are only partially built in Winnipeg (remember 378's misadventure near Morris). That being said, you still see partially completed buses outside their Transcona plant and some of their demo buses such as the first gen XE40's that were running on the 20 Watt at least five years ago.

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

According to the Public Works Commitee minutes, there was some severe delays with getting the funding from the federal government. Now that the funding was approved in November 2022, they could pursue the delivery of the buses. As the meeting that discussed this happened in April of 2023, it would make sense why we didn't see any new artics. I am aware that they are only partially built in Winnipeg (remember 378's misadventure near Morris). That being said, you still see partially completed buses outside their Transcona plant and some of their demo buses such as the first gen XE40's that were running on the 20 Watt at least five years ago.

Those are demo buses that are sitting outside the plant with sometimes you'll see buses from other citys in for warranty work when try are being delivered. I could be wrong. But look at MBTA 3256 its at flyer right now. Been here since early December. They sent it here to be fixed.

It wasn’t 378. It was 388. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, ConnorsCompShow said:

Seen that this morning, not the fire bit of it but it looks like they tore apart a bit of its rear.

I have a photo of the rear and it honestly doesn’t look to bad from the outside at least who knows how it looks from the inside. 

also https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/special-greetings-and-other-messages-could-be-removed-from-city-buses-1.6740601

DOWN WITH PR!! 😍😍😍😍

14 minutes ago, wt_enthusiast_photos said:

I find that most of the time, the PR messages don't match the audible messages. Had a bus today that had no PR messages but the audible message said, "Masks Required". I agree with Transit that the PR messages can lead to confusion, but I wonder if they could figure out a way to put PR messages into audio form. 

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

I find that most of the time, the PR messages don't match the audible messages. Had a bus today that had no PR messages but the audible message said, "Masks Required". I agree with Transit that the PR messages can lead to confusion, but I wonder if they could figure out a way to put PR messages into audio form. 

That’s auto system in with the route announcement. It’s not linked to the signed at all. I’m just happy when I photos I won’t have to worry about getting that stupid PR sign. 

• 1 month later...